It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

Aleasha HB User
Unhappy Disability Hearing Tuesday! Please HELP!

I'm 27years old, I am enrolled in college full-time but have stopped attending one class and one is online and the other 2 are for only 2days a week for about 2hours. I received an AA degree in Psych in 2008 even though it took 5yrs (I started in 2003) bc of my anxiety/depression.

I have Anxiety, Depression, Panic attacks, severe osteoarthritis in both knees, hyperthyroidism, insomnia and most recently ADHD (possible).
Effexor 75mg for a couple yrs. for anxiety and depression. Oxycodone 5mg for severe osteoarthritis at night as needed. Ritalin 50mg 1x/day Adhd. Doctor has recently given me a script for prestiq to switch from effexor to prestiq bc I'm gaining weight and extremely depressed. Haven't gotten the prestiq yet, I will hopefully pick it up tomorrow. Also have Ativan for anxiety and panic attacks and hydroxyzine. Also, Rozerem for insomnia.

I REALLY NEED to know what my chances of getting approved for disability are??? I have a Disability advocate coming with me to my hearing Tuesday but they are not telling me their opinions on my case! I'm extremely depressed and the pain is horrible I don't do anything I used to! I can't even carry groceries But I am only 27 and even though I struggle do attend school, well I try to... Please CAN ANYONE GIVE ME THEIR EXPERIENCES WITH BEING APPROVED OR KNOW SOMEONE LIKE ME WHO HAS>???? PLEASE!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: Disability Hearing Tuesday! Please HELP!

Hang in there someone will post to help you. I can't help you as I didn't have to go to a hearing but others have they will help it might take a while. Also read the other post if you type hearing on the top seach on this board you might find others that posted it might help you some. Good Luck to you Hope some one will post to help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
Aleasha (05-06-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

At your young age what is needed is a vast amount of medical records that show severe impairments. If you are continuing with school they may question you as to why. Social Security defines disability as being totally unable to do any job. They may see school as proof of functioning. So it will be important to be prepared to discuss how you do the school (on line, at home, on your own schedule) and why you do it (in hopes of working in the future, to keep your mind busy, etc). Write up some bullet points that if questioned you'd want to respond.

If they say "Ms. Jones, what do you have to say on this matter?"

And if you have in front of you
*Symptoms of X, Y, and Z are very limiting
*Medications A and B have a profound impact on my ability to do ___ and ___

Etc. Just be prepared with no more than one page of quick points you'd want to bring up if you are questioned.

What have been the reasons for denial of benefits up to this point?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
Aleasha (05-06-2011), BlueSkies14 (05-06-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
(female)

Jenanne HB User

When I applied for disability for Bipolar Disorder, I was first denied. I appealed and won approval the second time without the help of a lawyer. It is my understanding that one is most always denied the first time. I do not remember much of the hearing except telling the judge why I had lost so many jobs. The same day of my hearing, I had to report to a psychologist's office and take an IQ test. Not sure if this is a requirement or something that just I had to take. I hope this helps some.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jenanne For This Useful Post:
Aleasha (05-06-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

Hey the very first thing that popped out at me is that they are going to put you on remeron to sleep...PLEASE do NOT take this medication. It WILL let you sleep for days on end and when you get up you are unaware where you are and there were ALOT of times as soon as my feet hit the floor i would pass out,i was just very thankful my husband was here to pick me up.Also the BIG issue with remeron is that it can make certain people to gain ALOT of weight in a VERY short period of time. For example i gained between 60-75 lbs in 6WEEKS. Then with all of that weight gain i had to have both of my knees replaced within 6 months of each other and let me tell you that was some INTENSE pain. I am not trying to scare you only to tell you the truth about what happened to me. I have not tried the Pristiq but alot of my friends say it has made them gain weight.......As far as your disability goes how that worked for me was i had a very good lawyer from the beginning and he worked "pro-bono" for my case until i did when my case which i did. I never had anyone from the mental health place go with me to a hearing but they did send me to see THEIR physciarist becasuse they wanted input from another physciarist other the one i was already seeing and had been seeing for a VERY LONG time. Sorry for the rambling but i hope i helped you some. Feel free to drop me a line anytime you like..i will answer you back!! UNTIL NEXT TIME CARE

The Following User Says Thank You to tinkerbell45 For This Useful Post:
Aleasha (05-06-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
(female)

Aleasha HB User

Thank you, this really helped! I have made a list of how my pain and anxiety, depression ect have effected my life and also the meds they have me on. I just am not very good at explaining things or sticking up for myself so hopefully the disability advocate I have will help me. They're supposed to call me Monday to tell me more of their opinion of my case but it's soooo hard waiting and being clueless! I've read A LOT of posts but I can't find anyone who's younger and has my symptoms to relate to. So i'm lost as to what my chances are. But thank you for outlining what I should have

Old 05-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
(female)

Aleasha HB User

I am at the hearing phase, (my hearing is May 10) :/ My mother gets disability for her bipolar disorder, but it is and was abundantly clear that she needed it. She has had multiple hospitalizations ect. But for me, I only have the anxiety, depression, and severe osteoarthritis. My psychologist, psychiatrist and primary care doctors have all submitted my medical records and they have informed me that they are trying to help me to get approved, but I just don't want the fact that I am enrolled in college full time to ruin my chances. (although I have stopped attending 1 class due to anx and dep) and the other is online..but I don't know...

Old 05-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
(female)

Aleasha HB User

Wow that's a lot! I haven't tried the rozerem because I was a little scared of taking it with the pain medication but I'm glad I didn't! I have been telling my psychiatrist that I am gaining weight and that's another reason why I am so depressed and she thought switching me to prestiq would help me lose weight but if that's not going to then I'm reluctant to try it:/ I feel very lost right now and am just keep going down I hope I get better and that SS realizes that I really do not want to be this way but I am and I am not able to maintain a job :/

Old 05-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

I know the feeling of waiting and not knowing it is AWFUL!!!! I don't think you should worry so much about the online class you are taking because when i had appiled for my disability I actually went to a NEW job at a doctors office for 2 days and i just could NOT do the work,mentally or physical. The physical part was due to my knees and of course the mental part was of being SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO depressed and being bi-polar. I just absoulutely could NOT do it. I am doing some better because my meds have been tweaked several times since then. But i want you to know that i honestly believe you have a wonderful chance of getting approved because you ARE doing ALL you can and taking your meds like you are supposed to. I agree with you the weight gain is HORRENDOUS,i am still trying to get it off. Anyway i just wanted to give you some words of encouragement and just know that EVERYONE on this board cares about you and everyone else on this board. So try to hang in there i will keep you in my prayers and PLEASE keep me posted. Until next time TAKE CARE!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to tinkerbell45 For This Useful Post:
Aleasha (05-07-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenanne View Post
When I applied for disability for Bipolar Disorder, I was first denied. I appealed and won approval the second time without the help of a lawyer. It is my understanding that one is most always denied the first time. I do not remember much of the hearing except telling the judge why I had lost so many jobs. The same day of my hearing, I had to report to a psychologist's office and take an IQ test. Not sure if this is a requirement or something that just I had to take. I hope this helps some.
So after the 1st denial, you went right to the ALJ level. I know some states don't have the middle appeal before your case goes to the ALJ level. What state do you live in? Is seems to me like this would greatly expedite the SSDI process.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
SpineAZ (05-07-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleasha View Post
I'm 27years old, I am enrolled in college full-time but have stopped attending one class and one is online and the other 2 are for only 2days a week for about 2hours. I received an AA degree in Psych in 2008 even though it took 5yrs (I started in 2003) bc of my anxiety/depression.

I have Anxiety, Depression, Panic attacks, severe osteoarthritis in both knees, hyperthyroidism, insomnia and most recently ADHD (possible).
Effexor 75mg for a couple yrs. for anxiety and depression. Oxycodone 5mg for severe osteoarthritis at night as needed. Ritalin 50mg 1x/day Adhd. Doctor has recently given me a script for prestiq to switch from effexor to prestiq bc I'm gaining weight and extremely depressed. Haven't gotten the prestiq yet, I will hopefully pick it up tomorrow. Also have Ativan for anxiety and panic attacks and hydroxyzine. Also, Rozerem for insomnia.

I REALLY NEED to know what my chances of getting approved for disability are??? I have a Disability advocate coming with me to my hearing Tuesday but they are not telling me their opinions on my case! I'm extremely depressed and the pain is horrible I don't do anything I used to! I can't even carry groceries But I am only 27 and even though I struggle do attend school, well I try to... Please CAN ANYONE GIVE ME THEIR EXPERIENCES WITH BEING APPROVED OR KNOW SOMEONE LIKE ME WHO HAS>???? PLEASE!!!!!!
Is the disability advocate a local attorney or a national firm Like Allsup, Binder and Binder, and others that seem to now be springing up all over the internet? SSDI is apparently big business for these companies and the new guys on the block want a piece of the SSDI pie. There is not a day that goes by that I don't see a commercial on TV from some company offering their services now to help you obtain SSDI benefits.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #12
(female)

Aleasha HB User

Thank You soo much! wew You really did make me feel A LOT better! I have been worrying and stressing a lot about it and it really helps to hear that someone else has experience and is optimisitc. I have been taking the meds (although YES the weight gain is horrible and it's a looonnnggg stressful process of trying new meds all the time) but I'm trying to function. I really appreciate it thank you, you did help me feel a lot better I speak with my disability advocate Monday so hopefully I will have a better idea from him also. But I'll keep everyone posted! Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to Aleasha:
jgrangran (05-08-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
(female)

Aleasha HB User

Umm I don't know the specific name of them I just know that they are located in Baltimore, Md. and that they are Disability Advocates... they just contacted me when I had to file multiple appeals so I know they are experienced but I just am not sure of much more...I'm not very knowledgeable about disability or the lawyers or what they expect. I cannot find many people who are similar to me as in a younger age with severe osteoarthritis and the anxiety, depression, and panic and their disability status..This isn't something I had planned or I would have gotten more information but it just sort of happened with all of these medical problems and I tried to work and go to school but It just became harder and harder and so here I am ... but I suppose if I get denied I will research more because the doctors say that the arthritis will only get worse and I don't see my anxiety and depression getting better either so yeah...

Old 05-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You have to do everything you can to educate yourself about every aspect of your diagnoses, treatments, medications, physicians records and experienced and biography, SS benefits and the processes (www.ssa.gov), and carefully choose who you will work with for SS or any other benefits. These days you must be a self educated advocate for yourself, your care, and anything related to any insurance you have.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 05-07-2011 at 02:05 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (05-08-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
(female)

Aleasha HB User

Oh Yes! I am somewhat of a perfectionist eh it's exhausting, but I have all my meds, treatments, symptoms, drs, everything. & I have researched every disability site I could find so I'm prepared... Well as much as I can be I suppose.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, depression, disability, osteoarthritis