It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
(female)

edrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB User
Talking need to vent

hi everyone sometimes you just need to talk i just dont get it i worked all my life since i was 16 years old never used the system or anything never thought about being disabled but here i am thank god for my husband but he is on ssdi also but his took not even 5 months no denial how do they expect people to survive and i thank god we are ok but what if werent we still have a mortage,health insurance,and our living expences,we dont do anything now they have our life on hold it just seems so unfair we really have to watch our money and it makes us appreate what we have we have cut back alot but we are making it and im not giving up i cant i am unable to work im still waiting for the date for my hearing. what i would like to say is who are they to say im not disabled they dont know me. there i said it.thank you for listening :

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: edrivera61
angelwings54 (05-29-2011), BlueSkies14 (05-28-2011), jgrangran (05-28-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: need to vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrivera61 View Post
hi everyone sometimes you just need to talk i just dont get it i worked all my life since i was 16 years old never used the system or anything never thought about being disabled but here i am thank god for my husband but he is on ssdi also but his took not even 5 months no denial how do they expect people to survive and i thank god we are ok but what if werent we still have a mortage,health insurance,and our living expences,we dont do anything now they have our life on hold it just seems so unfair we really have to watch our money and it makes us appreate what we have we have cut back alot but we are making it and im not giving up i cant i am unable to work im still waiting for the date for my hearing. what i would like to say is who are they to say im not disabled they dont know me. there i said it.thank you for listening :
Don't give up edrivera61. It is good your husband is on SSDI so you do have one income coming in until you are approved. Many single ppl who apply for SSDI and don't have LTD have to use up their life savings and borrow from family and friends in order to survive during the 2-3 year SSDI application to approval process. It should not be like this for the truly disabled but unfortunately the SSDI wheels turn very slow. Don't give up. Most ppl will eventually prevail with persistence. It is good to vent. I vent here often. Hang in there edrivera61 and enjoy your weekend.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 05-28-2011 at 02:24 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
edrivera61 (05-28-2011), jgrangran (05-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

edrivera61, I think you just said what a lot of people have said before you. So sad isn't it just hang in there don't give up. Keep that fighting spirit. Sorry you have to go thru this. Both me and my husband are disabled so I know where your comming from we don't do anything eigher. I hope you will have a better day and hope you will get yours it just takes time

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
edrivera61 (05-28-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
edrivera61 (05-28-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrivera61 View Post
It is better to vent then to keep it all inside. I can idenify with though. It feels like your life is in their hands. The wait time is tourture. Glad your husband has his SSDI. I think social security wants people to just give up, or the financial hardship from the entire ordeal is too much .
I have been on SSDI now for a little over 3 years. I still do not think of myself as "disabled: even though the state recognizes it. my diablities are mental health reasons. It does notfeel good thinking that I have conditions that are serious enough to make me 100 % disabled. I know I went through the process , but it was bittersweet to finally win. I cannot do the things I use to without extreme anxiety and often anger. I guess I am feeling bad about being approved even after the years gone by. YEs I am grateful , but it feels crappy. I would liketo work If I could.
Social security does not know you personally, yet they dig in and ask all these personal questions which can make a difference, Social gets into all your medical records too. So I do think they get a good feel on people. I think they have seen a lot of claims and then have to see if the disabilty meets their defination of being disabled severe enough to pay at least a years worth in payment. This is not STD. Or LTD through work.
I did sink rather low during the process. Had to go on food stamps and welfare for a while. Lucky enough to live in a rent control apartments. The smaller amount of income , the smaller amount to pay for rent. That is actually what saved my behind. my parents are wealthy. I was not about to ask them for a loan, that is not me. I struggled to take care of my disabled son through this process. My health and medical needs only became more severe. Again really too bad, and not fun to experience. My health was so terrible, but was able t get a approval at the reconsideration level.
Hang in there. Most people who do hang in there eventually will get their benefits.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Mscat, I hear you and while it makes a huge difference to get ssi are ssdi, Your still disabled I bet the odds are good there are a lot of disabled people that are depressed it is so hard to accept disability even if you were born with it. when it gets to you where you cant be productive it really destorys your well begining. I guess the secert is to accept the things you can't change and make the best of it.I really think it is awesome that you are as strong as you are you stood on your own and took take of your son thru this horriable process I have told my husband many times I'm glad it is just me and you going thru this and Our kids are grown. It still makes me incrediabley sad I can't buy the grandkids things I would like so instead I try to spend time with them instead. It is good to talk to people it gives a diferent outlook on things.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (05-28-2011), mscat40 (05-28-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
(female)

edrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB User

thanks everyone for letting me vent i get really down at times it seems like it wont end but my husband keeps me going also its nice to be able to talk thanks again im closer now than i was 1year ago ill keep everone posted

The following user gives a hug of support to edrivera61:
jgrangran (05-29-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hang in there edrivera61,

Closed Thread