It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 75
elocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB User
Question Dire needs cases after approval

My question is I have heard about you applying as a dire needs status. I am about to be evicted and was approved for benefits now as you all know I am just waiting around losing pretty much everything I own, in a few days no more internet so that means no one left to talk to


What do I have to do to apply for a dire needs? Also does it even help if you do go apply?

Any answers would be really helpful. Thanks all.

 
The following 5 users give hugs of support to: elocin0482
BlueSkies14 (08-07-2011), mscat40 (08-07-2011), Rarebitrabbit (08-26-2011), sunni123 (08-09-2011), sunshine555 (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 27
nicki447 HB Usernicki447 HB Usernicki447 HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

Go to your local SS office tomorrow. Take your disconnect notices and intent to evict with you. Sometimes in some circumstances they will cut you a check while you wait. Good luck. I'm so sorry.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)
 
Harmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 245
Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

Have you applied for welfare or general relief or food stamps? If you can I would do this right away to get something. Perhaps look on line for assistance for utilities and food and even emergency shelter. I would for sure go to the social security office or call them, they know you won your claim so I would think they would give you dire need assistance. They can't expect you to live off nothing, especially since you did win. I'm glad you won, you shouldn't have to be thrown in the street waiting to get what you won.

I would also show the landlord proof you won your claim, they are going to like seeing that. I would imagine they would give you more time knowing you are waiting for your money & they will be paid then.

 
Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Registered User
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,777
mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by elocin0482 View Post
My question is I have heard about you applying as a dire needs status. I am about to be evicted and was approved for benefits now as you all know I am just waiting around losing pretty much everything I own, in a few days no more internet so that means no one left to talk to


What do I have to do to apply for a dire needs? Also does it even help if you do go apply?

Any answers would be really helpful. Thanks all.
I think that a dire need claim is done before their is a approval . Since you have been approved, and if you have the approval letter take it with you to the lanlord. Show them the letter. Have you signed up for direct deposit? Because sometimes the money will show up in your account without you knowing it. Keep looking in your bank. And go to the SS. office tommorow and ask when you are to expect your first check and backpay, see if you can get that in writing so you have proof that your money is coming. Then take that to your landlord. If this is correct, tell them you will be able to pay your rent and any other overdue charges when you recieve your disability check.
You can go down to the welfare department and apply for emergency AID. Because I think you would qualify for foodstamps and possibly a little money. Take your eviction notice with you.
It is a shame that people have to hit rock bottom before even hearing anything on their disability claim! I had to apply for AID while awaiting benefits too! I had not choice as a single parent. LUckily for me, I was approved in less then a year. It is scary when you have a family to support and their is no income.

 
Old 08-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,602
BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

I think most public libraries offer free internet, don't they?>>>altho they limit your time. I am so sorry all of this is happening to you elocin0482. Do you have family members you could possibly stay with for awhile? I think Cinamonrose was also going thru something like this and she was living with her brother. Where are you in the process now? I can't remember.

 
Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 75
elocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

Thanks everyone, I applied last week for food stamps so at least we have food in the house. I have not signed up for direct deposit when I called my local office they tried to tell me I could not sign up for it yet?? I was confused since I thought you could sign up anytime. I will go down there tom. with my bills and show them how everything I have is about to be shut off or taken away don't know if it will do any good or not.
Right now in my area they are not offering any assistance with your electric bill until Sept I also called last week about that as well.
I hoping to get some info about when my first check will be and at least a round about on my backpay and that was good thinking having them put it in writing to show my landlord. I told her I was approved for my benefits and should be getting some money sometime soon but she told me unless I know a round about date I am still going to get evicted.
On top of all my troubles my gran is in the hospital with heart failure and fluid in her lungs she doesn't have much more time left.
You would think after you get that approval letter things would just go smoothly and you would finally have some relief!
Thank you all for the advise I do go to the library once a week with my daughters so I will just use the computer there so I can update everyone on how my things are going.

 
Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)
 
SpineAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,097
SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

If you don't give them direct deposit information upon applying, and have just been approved, you wait for the first check from SS. Then go to the bank, deposit it, and tell them you will ask SS for direct deposit. They'll give you the routing and account numbers you need to do so. I think what the SS rep meant is since your first payment is in process direct deposit can't occur until after that check.
__________________
Rt&Lt thumb arthroplasty 2012 ; RT TKR & Bilat CTS 2011
Fusions: L5-S1 (87), L4-S1 (93), C5-C7 ('06), L3-S1 ('10)
C5-C7 foraminotomy 08

 
Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 75
elocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
If you don't give them direct deposit information upon applying, and have just been approved, you wait for the first check from SS. Then go to the bank, deposit it, and tell them you will ask SS for direct deposit. They'll give you the routing and account numbers you need to do so. I think what the SS rep meant is since your first payment is in process direct deposit can't occur until after that check.
It was so long ago when I applied I cannot remember if I gave them my bank info or not, it has not changed though since I have applied. They have not told me if it is being processed or not, everytime I call they always say something different one day it says I am approved the next day it is pending it all depends on who you talk to I guess, this has just stressed me even more waiting to know if I will be able to pay the bills. It put me in the ER wed being so stressed out. I just want it to be over with.

 
Old 08-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,602
BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by elocin0482 View Post
Thanks everyone, I applied last week for food stamps so at least we have food in the house. I have not signed up for direct deposit when I called my local office they tried to tell me I could not sign up for it yet?? I was confused since I thought you could sign up anytime. I will go down there tom. with my bills and show them how everything I have is about to be shut off or taken away don't know if it will do any good or not.
Right now in my area they are not offering any assistance with your electric bill until Sept I also called last week about that as well.
I hoping to get some info about when my first check will be and at least a round about on my backpay and that was good thinking having them put it in writing to show my landlord. I told her I was approved for my benefits and should be getting some money sometime soon but she told me unless I know a round about date I am still going to get evicted.
On top of all my troubles my gran is in the hospital with heart failure and fluid in her lungs she doesn't have much more time left.
You would think after you get that approval letter things would just go smoothly and you would finally have some relief!
Thank you all for the advise I do go to the library once a week with my daughters so I will just use the computer there so I can update everyone on how my things are going.
Wow. when it rains, it pours sometimes. Hang in there elocin0482. This same thing unfortunately happens to a lot of people actually while they wait on the long SSDI process. This sort of thing is especially devastating to women with children when dad is not in the picture. We are all pulling for you elocin0482. Hopefully, SS will be able to expedite things a little for you when you go in today.

 
Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 75
elocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

hello all an update. When I went in and waited forever they told me there was nothing they could do for me since I was not in their system!! I was so ticked off. I have contacted my senator since the SSA is really giving me the run around, and telling me something different all the time. So we will see what he has to say. I am so frustrated with this system!

 
Old 08-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
Registered User
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,777
mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by elocin0482 View Post
hello all an update. When I went in and waited forever they told me there was nothing they could do for me since I was not in their system!! I was so ticked off. I have contacted my senator since the SSA is really giving me the run around, and telling me something different all the time. So we will see what he has to say. I am so frustrated with this system!
WEll hun. looks we are in the same boat.. I just applied for food stamps too, for my son. Plus he is losing his benefits off my record. SO this can really be bad. I hope they finally get it right for you.

 
Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)
 
Harmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 245
Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

Good grief, it looks like more and more people are being pushed around by all of this. What a shame.

 
Old 08-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 75
elocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

your telling me I was told today my case was at the appeals counsel, but I got my fully favorable letter 3 weeks ago. The SSA seem to have no idea what is going on.

 
The following user gives a hug of support to elocin0482:
red65 (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: georgia
Posts: 198
msgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

that is crazy!! i hope they dont try to pull that on me... i will lose it on the phone with those people...

 
Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)
 
Harmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 245
Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User
Re: Dire needs cases after approval

Good for you to get the fully favorable, I'm happy for you with that.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Dire Need Letter pme Health Insurance Issues 3 11-29-2011 02:10 PM
Dire Need Letter to Social Security Payment Center scorpio11 Disabilities 7 02-08-2011 04:03 PM
Asking everyone how they are doing, how their cases are?? Rockras Disabilities 20 12-25-2010 09:26 AM
got the call today approval forsure and still no letter..more EmilyAsh Disabilities 2 09-20-2010 02:22 PM
how long of a wait after a "DIRE NEED OTR request"??? monkeytoes Disabilities 3 07-29-2010 06:26 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



BlueSkies14 (605), mscat40 (414), SpineAZ (411), jgrangran (393), ferd144 (153), gayle428 (147), sunni123 (138), vann04 (103), Jacki345 (95), NElady (75)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1166), MSJayhawk (999), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (667), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!