It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Losing Benefits

I got a letter in the mail this afternoon regarding my sons benefit he recieves off my record. He will be 18 on Wednesday. I thought I covered this and sent in the right information so that he would be able to continue benefits. He is disabled and in school. In May Social Security sent out a letter to be filled out by me and his teacher. He was able to attend the grauation Ceremony because he attended the High School while being in a Special Day class that is separate from the High School through the County. He did not graduate just attended the ceremoney.
I receved a letter about his next program he will go to , and it is a class for 18-22 year olds who are disabled. I gave the information to social security. I still recieved a letter stating that his benefits are over. I called the 1-800 number shortly after getting the letter, and the woman did not help.
I thought my son would continue recieving benefits off my record because he is still in school full time and disabled. BUT NO. I do not know what other evidence social security needs. So my family is losing close to $600.00 a month.
I am planning on going to the social security office tommorow , but unsure if anything will change. I am upset . I had applied for my son's SSI in April because he can get it on his own. That has not gone through yet, and he has a CE appointment this month. I was hoping he could have his benefits and their was not going to be any overlap, From one program to the other.
Now I do not know how i am going to make it next month. It took 8days too many to get this letter. I think social security shouild have mailed this sooner.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Losing Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
I got a letter in the mail this afternoon regarding my sons benefit he recieves off my record. He will be 18 on Wednesday. I thought I covered this and sent in the right information so that he would be able to continue benefits. He is disabled and in school. In May Social Security sent out a letter to be filled out by me and his teacher. He was able to attend the grauation Ceremony because he attended the High School while being in a Special Day class that is separate from the High School through the County. He did not graduate just attended the ceremoney.
I receved a letter about his next program he will go to , and it is a class for 18-22 year olds who are disabled. I gave the information to social security. I still recieved a letter stating that his benefits are over. I called the 1-800 number shortly after getting the letter, and the woman did not help.
I thought my son would continue recieving benefits off my record because he is still in school full time and disabled. BUT NO. I do not know what other evidence social security needs. So my family is losing close to $600.00 a month.
I am planning on going to the social security office tommorow , but unsure if anything will change. I am upset . I had applied for my son's SSI in April because he can get it on his own. That has not gone through yet, and he has a CE appointment this month. I was hoping he could have his benefits and their was not going to be any overlap, From one program to the other.
Now I do not know how i am going to make it next month. It took 8days too many to get this letter. I think social security shouild have mailed this sooner.
The SSA website says>>>>
Quote:
The child also must be:

Unmarried;
Younger than age 18;
18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or 18 or older and disabled. (The disability must have started before age 22.)
Even if they have not decided yet if your child is over 18 and still disabled yet, he is still in school fulltime and not 19 years old, correct? Why are they cutting him off if he is still in school (under 19) until they determine if he is still disabled or not. I am sorry you are going thru this mscat.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

If he is listed as "graduated" by the school that's why benefits would end. Now he has to begin to get benefits on his own record. If the program he's going to is a 100% continuation of HS and he has not finished that program then SS needs to be alerted and you need a record from the school. However, if he is transitioning to a program that is not associated with the HS (even if it occurs on the HS campus) then it's time to meet with SS to establish him as disabled on his own record.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
The SSA website says>>>>

Even if they have not decided yet if your child is over 18 and still disabled yet, he is still in school fulltime and not 19 years old, correct? Why are they cutting him off if he is still in school (under 19) until they determine if he is still disabled or not. I am sorry you are going thru this mscat.
The later it is getting tonight the more angry and frustrated I am beccoming! my son is going to be 18 on Wenesday. In May of this year social security sent out a form for his teacher to fill out, He was able to walk in the grauation ceremoney even though he did not "graduate" like the other students. He was in a special day class through the county that was on a regular H.S campus. It was a totally different program for severely disabled students. He has been disabled since early childhood , and he even recieved SSI benefits for several years. It was only 4 years ago that social security placed him on my record, so their is a record of him before age 22 I am headed down to the S. S office first thing in the morning which is about an hour away .

Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
If he is listed as "graduated" by the school that's why benefits would end. Now he has to begin to get benefits on his own record. If the program he's going to is a 100% continuation of HS and he has not finished that program then SS needs to be alerted and you need a record from the school. However, if he is transitioning to a program that is not associated with the HS (even if it occurs on the HS campus) then it's time to meet with SS to establish him as disabled on his own record.
He never "graduated" like a regular high school student. All he got to do was walk like the regular kids. The program he was in is for severly handicapped students through a specialized school in the county. They are called satalite classrooms. He is going into a program for ages 18-22 for handicapped students. He can go to school until age 22 , that is California law. What really is disturbing is that he has been on SSI for years, right up until four years ago when social security awarded me benefits and placed him on my record. I am thinking it is not hard for S. S to see that. Technically the new program he is going to is not a continuation of high school. Ironically it is the same School though, and is on their campus. I am just really angry and frustrated with social security. I was hoping that he would continue recieving benefits until it switched over onto his own SSI. When i called the 1-800 number the rep could see that it was in the process of being switched over. Yet their was nothing she could do. Now I am going there tommorow and see if their is anything that can be done or need from the county to keep his benefits. I am not trying to get away with anything just trying to keep what he deserves. Otherwise social security is cutting off a disabled young man that is in school full time. There has to be something that I could do to make this right again.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

I still don't understand this. Has SS officially made a determination that your son is no longer disabled and benefits will be discontinued after age 18 or is the problem they have not made the determination yet and until they do, they have to terminate benefits for right now until a decision is made? It appears to me that your son was primarily receiving disability b/c of his disability and not b/c he was your dependent under age 18. I thought before you can get disability benefits, it was up to you to prove to the SSA that you are disabled. After they approve you and you start receiving benefits, the burden of proof shifts more to them in proving you are no longer disabled b/f benefits can be cut-off. You would think your son's situation would be pretty cut and dried since he was already on SSI for a disability on his own until you became disabled yourself and they switched him from SSI disability on his own to SSDI disability on your record. This seems like a no brainer to me. Since he is 18 and still disabled, things should merely switch back to SSI disability. I think you will eventually get this straightened out Mscat. I know you were trying desperately to avoid any interruption in your son's benefits however. When I read stuff like this, I really wonder about some of the ppl who work for SS DDS.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

You know what I'm thinking?

You applied 3 mos ago for his benefits.

He has been approved and will switch over to his "adult" benefits and the check will come in Sept. This letter says he is leaving his child benefits- you will soon get a letter saying he is getting his adult bennies.

'Cause you got his check this month. He turns 18 1/2 way through. You KNOW they would have cut that check for just the days he was 17! God forbit you get a liitle extra.

Praying for you but I bet I'm right.

Pup

Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupcake View Post
You know what I'm thinking?

You applied 3 mos ago for his benefits.

He has been approved and will switch over to his "adult" benefits and the check will come in Sept. This letter says he is leaving his child benefits- you will soon get a letter saying he is getting his adult bennies.

'Cause you got his check this month. He turns 18 1/2 way through. You KNOW they would have cut that check for just the days he was 17! God forbit you get a liitle extra.

Praying for you but I bet I'm right.

Pup
you are very close Pup. The Social Security rep was hinting along those lines when I called her . But, their has not been a decision yet on the SSI . my son has to go to a CE on the 15th of this month , to a mental health exam. The rep told this is about September's payment.
BlueSkies, You are correct, this should not be complicated at all The letter is only looking at him turning 18 years old. Normally if the parent has SSDI the child gets it until 18. In my sons case he is disabled and he is in school. So he should not have the benefits stop. Yet i got in the mail they are going to stop. The letter stated that he "is not deisabled" he is not in School, and he is 18.. WEll two of those are wrong. This is the whole issue. So I am going down there today first thing in the morning. They open at 9am and it is 10 minutes after 7am. It takes a hour to get there. I want to see if their is anytihing i need to do so he keeps the benefits. It SUCKS that I had to re file for his SSI in the first freakin place. I screwed up going on SSDI. That is how I am feeling. It has messed up my sons benefits. I could have chosen SSI , but did not.
The letter i recieved was a general letter one that social security would send out to a person whoe would be turning 18 not disabled or in school. Social Security did not look into the fact that he was diabled before 18 had been on SSI , and has already applied again for benefits , and is in school, is disabled. That is why I am so upset. i hope i can get this sorted out .

Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

will a change for your son put you or him over the income guidelines for a household?

Pup

Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

There are no income guidelines for the parent if she is receiving SSDI, SSDI is not affected by household income. SSI does have some income limits. SSI for an adult disabled before age 22 is treated a bit differently than an adult applying for SSI for their own disability which begins in adulthood. The parent will have to account for how the son's SSI is used but it can easily be considered as covering his transportation, his "room and boardD, clothing, etc.

MSCAT: There are some Disability Advocacy resources in some areas. You can ask the manager/director of the program your son is in if they can refer you to a disability advocacy resource to assist with your son's SSI. Usually these kind of services are free or low cost.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
mscat40 (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User

I hope everything works out for you & your son. The social security office is so ridiculous how they won't let someone move from one program over to another without problems. They deliberately set it up so people have problems & seem to like to send out letters filled with half truths of people's situations. What a waste of money & time goes into all of this; it's just not necessary. It's just a paper trail filled with games and obstacles we all have to jump over. Let us know what happens, I think it will get worked out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harmoney For This Useful Post:
mscat40 (08-09-2011), pme (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupcake View Post
will a change for your son put you or him over the income guidelines for a household?

Pup
I don't have to worry about my income Pup, I am on SSDI. What I was hoping for was that their was not going to be any overlap in benefits from one program to the other. However, their will be.
Spine you were correct about the "graduation" . In mAy his high school filled out the social security form stating that my son was allowed to participate in the grad ceromoney , however this was for participation purposes only. He did not Graduate like a normal high school student because he is in a severely handicapped program that is through a different progam all together, this program is on the H.S. campus. Their was some confusion over this When I went to the social security offive this morning the worker gave me anther form for the school administration to fill out in order to update my son, i had to go to his NEW school that he will attend starting next week and have a administrater fill out. then I went back to the social security office. I was told all they can do at the office is enter the information in , and then it has to go through the payment center. SO I am thinking that my son will lose September benefits due to a technically.
I took my son to the social services department and filled out information for food stamps . If he gets it at least their will be a little extra money for that next month . THen I went to the manager office and filled out more paperwork because of the drop of money. We live in subsidized housing. So hopefully rent will go down by next month too.
I wonder what I could of done to have prevented this all from happening. I did not know, because if I had then things would have been done differently. i am thinking that after my sons CE on the 15th of this month a decision will be made on his SSI. We applied in April so April thru Sept. is 6month wait period. If he is denied then we will have to just live off my SSDI for a while.
It really sucks that things have turned like this and their is not much I can do about it.
Spine thank you so much for the information. The new school he will attend was very helpful. They filled out the paper and also attatched my sons current IEP.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User

You didn't do anything wrong. I kicked myself everyday feeling like I did a bunch of stuff wrong too, and that's why I couldn't simply transfer from SSI to SSDI. Remember, they do all this on purpose to cause aggravation in hopes we won't be able to figure it all out. What an awful system and game. Best of luck to you, I'm sure things will work out for, I just have that feeling. As for me, it's a wait & see. I will be posting all over this board if I'm ever approved!!!

Closed Thread