It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #31
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User
Re: I seem OK till it comes to Adult/Complex Conversations

Just wanted to share this with you guys.i'm 31 but

My Speaking Level is that of an 8 year old. Yeah sure i may have a bit more vocab and concepts in my brain but as far as speaking fluency and understanding when faced with a typical adult conversation, i'm like an 8 year old and actually worse.

It's kind of funny. i estimated this cause i see the adults around me and i dont sound like them at all. Highschoolers are way better than me at speaking.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #32
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDistersoc78 View Post

My Speaking Level is that of an 8 year old. Yeah sure i may have a bit more vocab and concepts in my brain but as far as speaking fluency and understanding when faced with a typical adult conversation, i'm like an 8 year old and actually worse.

It's kind of funny. i estimated this cause i see the adults around me and i dont sound like them at all. Highschoolers are way better than me at speaking.
Do you write better ? Because it seems like you do a real good job at expressing yourself through your writing. I am glad you have help. Good luck to you filing your disability claim. I hope you have help doing that because it can get confusing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #33
(male)

Yeah in writing i do better. And in humming. I'm good with music.
The therapist said my music/art area may be good.

Last edited by mod85; 10-10-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #34
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDistersoc78 View Post

Can relate to this. People often think i am a lot younger than (44). When people speak, they are not always direct or literal. i sound like a pedantic 13 year old when speaking. I agree with Mscat40, that you express yourself well in writing.

Last edited by sunni123; 09-13-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #35
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Given good written communication skills and poor verbal/interaction skills I hope they put you through a total neuropsychological evaluation and even speech and learning disability evaluations.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #36
(male)

Hey guys I've talked about my physical problems.
Shoulders, Chest, spine, knees, private parts, anklesIpop out, etc

I have all these problems and sometimes i can't even walk for example but there are windows of time when i can do stuff like do my yard work (slowly). I mean i have to do it, nobody's gonna do it for me. I'm not rich. (Well by my i mean my parents' house cause i live with them and they're old so I have to help out)

ANyways, I dont do any tree climbing or knee bending or heavy lifting, all i do is sweeping, raking, watering, blow, and mow the grass. if i do it slowly and carefully i can do it if i'm in a window of time when i dont have pain.

So if i can do this, would they not accept me for disability due to physical problems???

Even though there are other times when i ican't walk. Sometimes when my chest doesn't hurt, for exampe, i can even do light boxing for exercise. but if i do it hard, then i get hurt.

But still i don't want to feel useless so i try things. i'm not totally body disabled but many times i am. it changes according to weather or the way i move.

For example, when i have to pull the string to start up the Motor Leaf blower. that's hard because many times it doesnt turn on the first time so i have to keep doing it and i often hurt my already damaged shoulders or chest. If it takes me a lot and it doesn't turn on, i just give up and sweep with the broom.

Also, gardening in my house is not like having a Gardening job. I'm not being pushed by time and i'm not being forced to do stuff that i really can't do. ANd i'm not being forced to walk fast/run/bend my knees. So i dont think doing gardening at home slolwy means you're not disabled. At home you work within your limits so that's why i can do it.

if it was a real job, i wouldn't qualify.

FOr example i can't do a filing office job if i can't lift boxes. At my last work, i couldn't lift after a while cause my shoulders got really bad, so i started asking people to help me AND they didn't really like it.. i mean they helped but they had their own job to do so...

Last edited by MrDister78; 09-17-2011 at 07:35 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to MrDister78:
jgrangran (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #37
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Good for you for doing what you can when you can. Sounds like you force yourself a lot. I understand moving at your on pace. You never wont to give up and do nonthing but you do have to make sure on your window of pain free you don't damage yourself more you have to be smart about what you do and how you do it. At least thats what the DR. told me not to stop livivng so to speak but be smart and not further damage myself.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #38
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Primarily focus your disability claim on your speech/cognitive issues. Everything you've said so far indicates you've been unable to maintain employment due to difficulty understanding directions / information and then taking that input an executing the required work tasks.

Though you may have some physical symptoms you can add (1) You must have definitive diagnosis for each symptom (2) being able to do yard work will be perceived as having physical ability to work given the types of jobs you have stated you've had.

SSDI is based on the person being unable to do any job of any type for any period of time. Take a look at my signature line below. Even with all that SS denied me at initial application and at reconsideration. Now I'm waiting for ALJ hearing and wouldn't dare attempt any physical yard work. Between you and your parents low cost yard help is needed. We found a gentleman we pay $60/visit and he comes 1-2x/mo. If you claim you physically can't work then you can't state you do physical yard work. But if your inability to work is solely cognitive/brain function related you can do physical activities (light) as you are not claiming disability from a physical perspective.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 09-17-2011 at 07:53 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #39
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

You can do a little bit of physical work whih I think is fine .Most of your disabilites are that not related to physical work so much. If you are not getting paid then it would not be considered a job either.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #40
(male)

Well after i did the work now i can't walk very much

ANyways, i'm just hope after my speech assesemtn they will give me some training in something i can do , where i dont have to walk alot, cause sometimes i can't walk nothing. and i can't lift. i can lift alittle but not heavy things, because i have pain in my knees and to lift heavy boxes etc i need knees.

Oh it's complicated.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #41
(male)

Hey Guys i'm back.

I got my test done. Sadly i did pretty bad. They tested me in everything and i just had so much trouble with the reading and understanding spoken speech part. i couldn't keep up.

So yeah, i pretty much shown that i can't do regular talking jobs.Especially office jobs. That's why i failed in all the jobs i did. and that's why i failed in school. Now the thing is i need a job and I dont know what i can do.

But next time i'm gonna get advice on what to do and what training i can get.

If you guys have any ideas please do so.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #42
Facilitator
(female)

Seek out an SSDI attorney (one that only does SS cases and is reputable). Apply for SSDI and at the same time ask the testing facility staff to provide you the specific name of your diagnoses AND how to find a Vocational Rehabilitation counselor through your state vocal rehab department. A vocational counselor can look at your test results, diadnoses, and see if any viable jobs match. You may not be able to retain employment due to your disabilities. Going from job to job trying to figure it out wont work as you wont understand going in what accomodations you may need or can be provided. s Thus SSDI may be very important. Your limits are complex so if there are no jobs that match your abilities and limits, SSDI may be your best bet while you sort out vocational options.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #43
(female)

I know that where I live people need to get a refferal from a Local Regional Center in order to participate in Voc Rehab. You may look into that for yourself. i like the Voc Rehab we have in our County because they have 2 different programs and they work in groups at various places. I have seen that a disabled worker can make enough money not to qualify for SSI , so Voc Rehab Centers are very good . if you do not have enough work credits for SSDI you could still be able to have SSI.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #44
(male)

The last 2 messages you guys said.. i didn't quite understand but
i did go to Department of Rehab department 1 time just for the orientation. And after it was done we had to make an appointment with a counselor... but you needed your Drs Info and i hadn't been checked..so i didn't make that appt yet. Now i did go to my Drs .

but after that DOR orientation i was confused and i went to the lady and said "Sorry i didn't understand the orientation" hehehehe. that was funny. She was all puzzled.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #45
Facilitator
(female)

Do you have family that can advocate for you and communicate with SS attorney, doctors, etc to explain the difficulty with expressive and receptive language? What you have appears to be a significant cognitive disability (brain) that limits what you can understand in writing or verbally. SSDI is something you must urgently pursue and get someone to advocate for you. Even if you must type up a statement you hand to people, like the lady at the orientation, "I am unable to understand most written and spoken instructions and information. I need assistance"

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
mscat40 (09-21-2011)
Reply Reply