It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #46
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: I seem OK till it comes to Adult/Complex Conversations

The Regional Center works with people who are developmentally disabled. the do evaluations , and offer respite care to familes . They take everybody who has a significant delay and their is no age limit. They give people a case worker that works directly with the person and family. Since you are in Californa there will be a regional center for your county. You could look up your nearest one on the internet. I hope the lady who did the orienitation handed out papers about their program so people can read it. I think that your family would be very helpful and supportive to you. Cam your family help you get these services? And help you apply for social security? I had to do this for my son , because he is unable to do it on his own. I fully agree with SpineAZ suggestions for you.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #47
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
The Regional Center works with people who are developmentally disabled. the do evaluations , and offer respite care to familes . They take everybody who has a significant delay and their is no age limit. They give people a case worker that works directly with the person and family. Since you are in Californa there will be a regional center for your county. You could look up your nearest one on the internet. I hope the lady who did the orienitation handed out papers about their program so people can read it. I think that your family would be very helpful and supportive to you. Cam your family help you get these services? And help you apply for social security? I had to do this for my son , because he is unable to do it on his own. I fully agree with SpineAZ suggestions for you.
Thanks but if you saw my post in the Abuse section here...I tell about my emotionaly abusive parents. Thye're no help.. I've been telling them i'm have trouble with language all my life and they keep saying i'm just being a sissy.. and they force me to do things that i can't really do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #48
(female)

momoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB User

Hi There ...have you ever heard of Aspergers? To me , you seem to fit the profile. Maybe look into it and see if any of the symptoms relate to you

Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #49
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Wow. Momoftrio could be on to something!!!! Contact a local social worker or agency that works with people with Aspergers.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #50
(male)

i dont have Aspergers.

But thanks for thinking of me

I just have understanding and speech problems. Otherwise I'm happy, i'm emotional. i use gestures, and i'm fine guys.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #51
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Aspergers is a spectrum of impairments. I had an employee with Aspergers in a high level management job. Her specific characteristics were mild. When her daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers, my employee researched it and was evaluated herself as she saw in herself aspects of Aspergers. And she was right. She underwent formal evaluation and did have Aspergers. She was a happy person with a great sense of humor, but problematic with receptive and expressive communication. Together we worked on how I could better communicate with her so she would understand instructions, what was expected, etc. We reduced her participation in presentations as she couldn't express verbally what she had written up in notes. It wasn't that she was nervous, she realized she couldn't translate her written notes and talking points into a verbal presentation.

It's important to consider every possible cause. It's possible to have learning disabilities and something such as Aspergers co-existing. The interesting thing about Aspergers is that it's newly recognized so many adults out in the world are finally able to put a name to their history of issues.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 09-21-2011 at 08:37 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (09-22-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #52
(male)

Thanks guys. WEll i'm getting my results from my test next week.
And they're gonna tel me what todo.

i'm always forced by my parents to translate stuff and i have to playback and listen to the answering machine and i dont understand any of it and then my parents get angry at me. i've been called stupid all the time. And "piece of ****" etc time and time again.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #53
Facilitator
(female)

Any way to take them with you to some appointment where the test results are discussed?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #54
(male)

No because they think it's stupid and that i dont have nothing. They always deny it when i tell them i have trouble. And they dont believe in speech things and therapy. they just do the whole MACHO thinking ("suck it up", "dont be a sissy", etc etc)

But i'm getting help so my parents can remain with their thinking that i'll keep being controlled by them.. hehehe. They'll never change their thiking so whatever. I'm doing stuff on my own

Last edited by MrDister78; 09-22-2011 at 04:01 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to MrDister78:
mscat40 (09-22-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #55
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

It must be hard not to have the support of your family. You are a strong person ! Getting help for yourself is the best thing to do. It is still nice to have family though. You can't always suck it up when things get serious like that. It is ok to get the help you need to make you a stronger person. If family is hindering you from that then it is better to stand on your own two feet and do whats best for you.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #56
(male)

Quote:
It must be hard not to have the support of your family. You are a strong person ! Getting help for yourself is the best thing to do. It is still nice to have family though. You can't always suck it up when things get serious like that. It is ok to get the help you need to make you a stronger person. If family is hindering you from that then it is better to stand on your own two feet and do whats best for you.
THanks you mscat. yeah it's hard. Today I was completely abused by mother who told me i'm a piece of crap and all that just cause i dont talk fluently and lots.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #57
(male)

Hey Guys.

I have a question. I don't know what to do.. realy because. I look normal and i can speak pretty good when it's basic conversation and child like level But it's (like i said) when it's complicated and fast speech and things that typical 30 year olds can speak, i don't understand and I can't speak fast and i can't think fast and pull out words fast so I look pretty stupid compared to the typcal people. Even highschoolers are better than me.

But because i sound ok in basic talk and i can even speak 3 languages and in the foreign language i sound even more fluent...I don't know if they're gonna consider me disability.

but it's weird.

Well i had my assesment done and we did it in English and I had alot of problems with memory and with vocabulary etc.

I have the same problems with my other language(spanish) but when i speak to foreigners in the other language i know...i sound more fluent(which is weird)...so they don't tihnk i have any problem with language.

So....i dont know.
Should i continue doing this disablity registration OR just get some therapy from the speech doctor and just try to get any job?

Again let me repeat:
This is me--> Smart guy who is good with artistic stuff and even foreign langugae BUT is slow and his language skills in English and Spanish are more like a 10 year old than a 30 year old. ANd there are many times when I become totally confused with what people say and times when what people say to me I hear it like garble and don't understand any of it.

Last edited by MrDister78; 09-25-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #58
(female)

Yes you should continue with your disablity claim. my son has autism and cognitive delays, he can speak . I did not know he has a hard time though . It took a professional to evaluate him and pick up on his speech difficulties. Just becasue you can talk does not mean anything. I leaned that my son has trouble with pragmatics. i had to look that up to find out what it meant. Have you ever been evaluated by a professional ? A speech and language patholigist knows what to look for , and can give you more insight . A professional will break it down for you and explain excatly what your struggles are in speech/language . you said you had a assessment. Did that person tell you why you struggle so much? Did you tell her/him what you struggle with? I still think it is ok to continue with your claim.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #59
(male)

Quote:
Yes you should continue with your disablity claim. my son has autism and cognitive delays, he can speak . I did not know he has a hard time though . It took a professional to evaluate him and pick up on his speech difficulties. Just becasue you can talk does not mean anything. I leaned that my son has trouble with pragmatics. i had to look that up to find out what it meant. Have you ever been evaluated by a professional ? A speech and language patholigist knows what to look for , and can give you more insight . A professional will break it down for you and explain excatly what your struggles are in speech/language . you said you had a assessment. Did that person tell you why you struggle so much? Did you tell her/him what you struggle with? I still think it is ok to continue with your claim.
Oh ok. Thanks alot for your response. Part of the reason sometimes i feel I should not do it is cause my parents will start calling me a sissy and they're immigrants tough wokers iwth MACHO attitude and they would say i'm a sissy.

But yea i'll continue.

Yeah I had a Speech language pathologist do a test. 2 hours. and she noted i had a lot of trouble with vocab, and memory and other stuff. Then she wanted to do an extra test cause she had some kind of thing she needed to check further. And at the end she told me something about my vocab being low and about how weird my brain acts cause somethings i can do fast but the stuff related to language is slow.

This week i'm getting the results back and we will have a discussion about it. and what i can do etc. I feel goood because i'm doing something about my situation.

Today i gathered some materials from my school years to show her the things i did good in and the things i failed and also, i found my transcripts from school and how i got F's and bad grades and in what classes.

i also gathered some packs of things i have done on my own like artistic projects to show her so she gets an idea of things i'm good at.

Also my Jury duty excuse(written) which i was making and which got rejected but thankfully i didn't get called for Jury duty. They didn't believe me and didn't accept my excuse, cause i told them i would be all confused if i did jury duty so what's the point.So i'm gonna tell the speech person etc to tell me what to do about that incase they call me for jury duty some time in the future.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #60
(male)

Ok we're i'm getting some progress. lately

But i 'm worried cause i hear that some people are denied etc. and with my problem not being visible?(I'm not in a wheelchair) (well i do limp and have trouble walking and a ton of more problems)they will problably say mine is not so serious

Last edited by MrDister78; 09-28-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Reply Reply