It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #91
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User
Re: I seem OK till it comes to Adult/Complex Conversations

There is nothing sissy-like about getting help; it shows strength to seek help, and it is rough because you are doing it all on your own.

Last edited by sunni123; 11-09-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #92
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User

Hi all. I'm back.

I started getting help for finding a job in the Rehab thing. They don't quite get my disability so it's kinda hard. The woman that they gave me to help me, is a recent college graduate or something with no experience And she doesn't seem to have a clue what to do. As she was talking i didn't understand her nothing and yet she's talking about doing interviews and this thing that is precisely where i have failed all my life. So i'm gonna ask my speech doctor to talk to them and e xplain to them my thing.

Aside from that, I applied for disability. but no parental suport. they still talking to me about getting great job so that i get benefits. uhhhhhh...they don't get it that i can't get a great job because most great jobs where they pay benefits are big companies usually hiring people who have great communication skills.

They are never gonne get it. i really don't know what to do. But anyways, if i were accepted for disabiity, then i'll start getting money and how do i explain to parents about it.. they just gonna get angry at me. saying that i have no disabilty

The following user gives a hug of support to MrDister78:
jgrangran (01-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #93
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

You said you finally applied for disability. SSDI or SSI? How old are you? Do you currently live @ home with your parents? Are you using a lawyer?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #94
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
You said you finally applied for disability. SSDI or SSI? How old are you? Do you currently live @ home with your parents? Are you using a lawyer?
SSDI or SSI? I dont' reallly know . someone helped me with the application and i forgot which one it was. I'm in my 30s, yes i live with parents. No i dont have a lawyer. what'st that for?

Old 03-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #95
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

MrDistersoc78, I just want to tell you I have heard they don't give much thought about what the ssi dr's say I don't know if thats true but they put mor wait with your treating dr's and specilist have to say as far as your medical records and test. Hang in there did you sign a release so it could be sent to your treating dr. You should hear something in about 3 weeks I think. Hang in there I know its hard I can't remmber do you have a lawyer helping you.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #96
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDistersoc78 View Post
SSDI or SSI? I dont' reallly know . someone helped me with the application and i forgot which one it was. I'm in my 30s, yes i live with parents. No i dont have a lawyer. what'st that for?
once you apply for benefits it is for both SSI & SSDI. Social Security will determine which one you qualify for. If youhave worked enough and hace enough work credits you will recieve SSDI if you have not worked enough to have the credits you will have SSI , once your application is approved they will figure it out. Ususally people obtain a Lawyer after the second deniel, because after that you have to go in front of a judge for a hearing. the Lawyer helps you prepare for that and speaks upon your behalf when necessary , it is more important to seek out a social security Lawyer during this stage to get you through all the legal stuff. Your parents are not supporting you so their no help , but you do have help which is good. As for the physical exam the Dr. did not do a complete one , so that is not your fault. LIke you said your speech and memory problems were recognized and now you have to wait and see if it is enough to prevent you from working a substaneil gainful activity. Sometimes parents do not like to think that their kids are disabled and need assistance, it is hard for them to accept that , becasue they see their kids as perfect.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
jgrangran (03-11-2012)
Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #97
(female)

Mimizboys HB User

I am 59 years old but have never once thought that there was anyone else in the world that has a brain that works like mine does. I'm not sure if it feels good or not so good to realize I'm not alone. I have always felt there was something seriously wrong with me but have never been able to figure out what it is. I guess in some way I'm fortunate in that I have been disabled for over 12 years. Anyone who lives with a disability knows that it's no picnic. But because of my disability and my husband I haven't had to deal with the horror of working. I refer to my inability to communication as "brain farts". I'm sure if anyone else told me I have brain farts I wouldn't be too happy but it seems to fit. I truly appreciate everyones openness allowing me to look into your world. I strive to stay home as much as possible in an effort to limit interaction with people. Of course I am very isolated and lonely to say the very least. When I do have to "function" in the real world it is very painful. I think the worst part about my situation is no one knows how I think or feel. I'm sure my family is aware there is a problem but no one has ever addressed the elephant in the room, especially me. I recently tried to communicate with one of my daughters her response was "obsess much?" Is this OCD? Has anyone found a successful treatment? The longer I live I find it is easier to just keep my mouth shut. Of course we all know that doesn't always work.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #98
(female)

lar17 HB User

Hi! Mr. Dister78!

I can relate to some of what you're going through. You see, I have Epilepsy, I've had them for 37yrs. now. Only because I would only have the pedimal sz. So when I was old enough I was able live on my own, and was able to work, and go to college. Then about 8yrs ago I started having sz. back to back. So the college I was going to said I had to drop taking my classes due to the fact that I was considered a high risk. My job, said I had to go, not giving me a specific reason but I could read between the lines.

After all I was falling too often to the risks was too high for them. When a person has a gran mal sz. we lose a lot of oxygen to the brain, especially when it lasts longer then 15 minutes, which has happened to me quit often. This has caused me to lose, a lot of my focus, memory, and lack of communication. I sometimes find myself having trouble with speech as well, and if you think it's bad feeling like other's at your work site look down on you, or make fun of you because of your speech. Try having the fact of one of your own family members doing the same to you. I mean my brother sometimes makes me feel like and idiot, because I find sometimes when I talk my words stumble over each other, and he starts to mock, and laugh at me. Even in front of other people, which makes me feel so self conscious of myself. I guess that's why I also am not good around being around a group of people sometimes even one, on one, unless I'm real comfortable with that person. Only because when I'm around others, and I have something to say I know what I want to say. Except when the words come out of my mouth, I'm so insecure that, that's why my speech gets so bad. I wish I could say something to help you, but I will say this, don't ever let anyone make you feel weird, because, there's no such thing as perfection.

Reply Reply