It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
(female)

ZeeBoss HB User
Disabled or is something else going on?

I am a California employer. One of my employees called me 3 weeks ago to say he was going on disability (SDI, I assume). He gave no reason and would not say how long he thought he'd be out.

I have received nothing from a doctor or from the EDD to officially notify me of this person's claim for disability.

Is anyone here from California? If you've ever gone out on disability, how did you notify your employer? Everything I've found online tells me what my compliance needs to be, but I haven't actually found anything saying if or how my employee should notify me about a disability leave.

I just think if there isn't a notification process for employers, and nobody notified employers, things would be pretty chaotic. How do I know the employee hasn't just quit or just wanted some time off? Thanks for any info.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User
Re: Disabled or is something else going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeBoss View Post
I am a California employer. One of my employees called me 3 weeks ago to say he was going on disability (SDI, I assume). He gave no reason and would not say how long he thought he'd be out.

I have received nothing from a doctor or from the EDD to officially notify me of this person's claim for disability.

Is anyone here from California? If you've ever gone out on disability, how did you notify your employer? Everything I've found online tells me what my compliance needs to be, but I haven't actually found anything saying if or how my employee should notify me about a disability leave.

I just think if there isn't a notification process for employers, and nobody notified employers, things would be pretty chaotic. How do I know the employee hasn't just quit or just wanted some time off? Thanks for any info.
I'm from CA and never went on disablity even though i had suffered many injuries while i was employed. I just toughed them out.

Well i don't know nothing about Disalibyt issues etc so i didn't do anything about it. Although i gotta say
the first temp job i had i damaged my neck because i fell from a laddder and the boss just told me to go home and not come back( fired me).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
(female)

ZeeBoss HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDistersoc78 View Post
I'm from CA and never went on disablity even though i had suffered many injuries while i was employed. I just toughed them out.

Well i don't know nothing about Disalibyt issues etc so i didn't do anything about it. Although i gotta say
the first temp job i had i damaged my neck because i fell from a laddder and the boss just told me to go home and not come back( fired me).
That's terrible! You should have sued that guy. He should have helped you, not treated you badly. That was a work comp claim if ever I heard one.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeBoss View Post
That's terrible! You should have sued that guy. He should have helped you, not treated you badly. That was a work comp claim if ever I heard one.

Thanks for the reply.
Thanks for your understanding. Yeah
That was painful. i lasted months with a damaged neck. and developed cracking in the neck. So if you've read my other threads, that's how's itsbeen all the time. Injury after injury every year . Then they have to see me at work with new injuries.

Well it was not a guy. it was a woman. Funny, when i first started she saw that i was a hardworker and organized her entire file department quickly and she said "we should but this guy pizza." and was really happy.
as soon as i got injured she just got rid of me. Hehehehe.

Anyways, to the poster keep trying to see what's wrong with your employee. Don't just let it go.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Mr. Boss man,

Has the employee simply stopped showing up for work? I would contact the state disability office to see how to proceed. There must be some paperwork for you, as I know there are possibilities, such as working less hours, changing jobs in the company, limit lifting.. I know you cant just not come in and say I am disabled, I will be at home while you pay for me to to so,

Janet

Old 08-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I agree with writeleft, I would call and check on your employee, I am sure you will get something from ssa but it will probly take a while. Please let us know how things turn out we never hear from the employers side of things.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I do know that an employee can come in and say to the boss "I quit" at anytime . But, the reason usually is not because I am filing for disability. I am certain that you will recieve paperwork from social security. They will want to know more about this person and their claim of disability. That will be your chance to say what you need to say .
In the meantime I would try and contact the employee for a more detailed explaination. The employee would not be entitled to any unemployment benefits for just leaving like that.

Last edited by mscat40; 08-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Closed Thread