It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User
How does an attorney get paid

If someone drops their case?

Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User
Re: How does an attorney get paid

Hi Harmony. First, did you sign an attorney fee agreement? It will state their demands. Now I filed for ssd and there was no fee unless I win. That said, since you dropped your case I think the only thing they can charge you for is the expense of copies that were made for your case thus far. But read the agreement. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Harmony, are you dropping your case?????? Please don't give up.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User

I don't want to & wouldn't give up, but since I found out people's cases are put on the Internet for all to see I'm considering it. I can't take the chance of my family being hurt. Something was brought up at my hearing that isn't true which was painful for me which I can deal with but my family would not be able to. This isn't right for them to have their lives forever ruined by this. If there was a way I could know this would not be done, I for sure would continue. This has devastated me finding out very personal info is revealed for anyone and everyone to read.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

harmony, I think the average person would not even think are know how to look up something like that. Who would spent there time to even consider doing something like that except maybe people that wanted to see how the system works. This whole thing seems like a volation of someones rights. And how could they put the mental aspect of it out there. I understand how you wouldn't like for anyone to know about anything its very understandable. Its like having an open book on your life and disability its sad very sad and I am sorry for you and everyone that has to go thru it. But least it isn't well know it is avable I mean who would of thought but maybe a lawyer are someone that is going thru this process. My heart has always gone out to you since I first read your post I'm so heart boken for you. God Bless you my friend I wish I could say are help you feel better.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

I am most concerned about my family, they are all I have. I'm sure the day would arrive where they would look it up, or someone would tell them about it. I'm considering ending it all, I can't stop crying over this. I didn't have much of a chance anyway, it may already be too late & my case is being posted even if I do drop it. I just wonder how many people have killed themselves over something like this? They are so concerned about mental cases they won't even let someone read the doctor's reports, but yet they'll post the entire case on line, and if someone wants more info they pay $4.95 for it.

The doctors I went to never helped me, all they ever told me to do was to go to work so I wouldn't be depressed. Many of them actually don't get it either. Some people honestly really are not mentally capable of working. If they had helped me long ago, i wouldn't have had my last insured date pass. The social security office played a trick on me not revealing the date, then throwing me off of SSI into nothing. It's not fair, I can take the unfairness as much as it hurts to never win my claim, but I can't take losing my family or have them be hurt. They haven't done anything to deserve this. They are mentioned in the judge's denial & it is not good. I accepted it & figured I could always burn it so my family never saw it. Now it sounds like it is too late for all of us. It's also not fair people aren't warned their case will be on the internet. I just happened to run across all these cases when I was looking up the judge that denied me without even giving me a fair hearing. I can't even see if any of these cases ever were won, I'd have to pay money to see the outcome & don't want to waste a bunch of money for a lot of cases in hopes of seeing someone's decision overturned.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harmony if it is already on there, then dropping it wont change anything I mean it always matters but I mean if you can't take it off. then keep fighting if it there to stay then go down fighting till the end. If it is there and there is nonething that can take it off. I am truely sorry for you. But it seems like you have a cases the judge was wrong you found mistakes and maybe if you tell your family members when they find out that that is why your fighting to right the wrong. hang in there maybe someone else will offer advice that can help. I will keep you in my prayers please let us know we all care.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
Harmoney (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

I think SpineAZ posted awhile back that you can fire your attorney @ any time but depending on the legal agreement forms you signed, you may still owe the attorney (perhaps not the full amount - (25% of backpay or max $6K) if you are ever approved for the work they have already done. This is why another attorney might be reluctant to take you on after you fire the 1st one b/c this complicates the fee arrangement agreement. Also, SS will pay the lawyer or lawyer(s) before you get your backpay.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 08-14-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

My case isn't already on there because I just started the appeals process. Don't know what took so long for the appeals board to write to my attorney. I was denied six months ago. Now it is just starting up with appealing. The additional information I sent to the attorney was never submitted, and the other doctors still weren't contacted. I can't get another attorney, none of them want my case. I'm pretty much stuck with the one I've got regardless of what has happened. If I drop my case now it could prevent my case from being placed on the internet. Only cases that have reached my level get placed on there, and I believe it is done to further punish anyone who dares to make a claim the judge made mistakes. Human nature being what it is can make some judges feel they were not wrong in their initial decision, no matter what the reason for the remand. The courts are the ones that release the information I found out.

I would continue fighting and wish I could, because I was taking the attitude I had nothing to lose and all to gain, but if I drop my case now it for sure will not be splashed all over the internet. Believe me, my family would not understand, it is really bad what was said about me and it involves them. I don't want them hurt and I feel I need to do this to protect them from being harmed forever from this. The saddest thing is what was said I did to them I honestly didn't do. I guess this was all said to help me win my case, well it for sure didn't. It probably made the judge turn against me all the more for all I know. I wouldn't believe anything like this could happen if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. I think it should be made illegal when an innocent family member was a minor. They don't care who they hurt; this more than proves that. I can take the pain, what else is new for me, but my precious, innocent family should not have to be put through this. Believe me they would never recover from this.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

Harmoney, I am so sorry you are going thru this. Having info out on the internet is available. I was searching for a lady who hit my daughters car. She gave her the plate (temperory) , her name and cell, ins. co. She had no coverage and would not cooperate with a payment plan. Nor to give us her address (we are going to sue). So I was in a mania for days and during that time I got 2 address, one will be confirmed very shortly, her family w/ address & phone, kids names, ex hubby, new boyfriend, I knew when she went to court with who for child support. All for free. No I am not a psycho nor will I harrass anyone. I just want an address to sue, no other recourse. The damage done 2,200. The car is worth 980, and if she had the coverage we would get 500. But someone told her that this is MI no fault, pay for yours, we pay for ours. Its the point. We were going to give her a break by paying only 300 (50 a mo) because she is a single parent, but no return calls. But yes, it is scary of what is out there now and who can access it. I remember you on a post stating that your confidental business is accessable. I would think that is would be sealed or something. I had a question about your last insured date had passed. What does that mean? You are in my prayer. It is tearing you up. Take care of yourself!

Old 08-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee088 View Post
Harmoney, I am so sorry you are going thru this. Having info out on the internet is available. I was searching for a lady who hit my daughters car. She gave her the plate (temperory) , her name and cell, ins. co. She had no coverage and would not cooperate with a payment plan. Nor to give us her address (we are going to sue). So I was in a mania for days and during that time I got 2 address, one will be confirmed very shortly, her family w/ address & phone, kids names, ex hubby, new boyfriend, I knew when she went to court with who for child support. All for free. No I am not a psycho nor will I harrass anyone. I just want an address to sue, no other recourse. The damage done 2,200. The car is worth 980, and if she had the coverage we would get 500. But someone told her that this is MI no fault, pay for yours, we pay for ours. Its the point. We were going to give her a break by paying only 300 (50 a mo) because she is a single parent, but no return calls. But yes, it is scary of what is out there now and who can access it. I remember you on a post stating that your confidental business is accessable. I would think that is would be sealed or something. I had a question about your last insured date had passed. What does that mean? You are in my prayer. It is tearing you up. Take care of yourself!
About your car accident,,. why not let your insurance company handle it. Its a no fault state where I live too, we let the insurance companies deal, not the person/s involved. They/insurance companies work it out between themselves and the insured stay out of the mix. If someone is not insured, then the police handle the illegal part of that and your own Uninsured Motorist handles the party not insured who hit your daughter.

Last edited by Jacki345; 08-14-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

You would think medical files, especially mental would be sealed. I thought so too until last week. I'm sorry you've had to go through all your stuff with the accident, good grief if it isn't one thing it's another. I hope everything works out OK. If you google someone's name anymore a picture of their house and address pops up. I just had something removed from one site telling them I did not appreciate them revealing this. They at least had an opt out system, but I'd have never known about this either had I not done a search for myself. Stuff pops up everyday anymore on the net. Immediately they did remove it which I appreciate. Regarding the social security court files... I received an email saying they will not remove a file unless it's court ordered. Good luck with that, they aren't easy to fight. Mine isn't showing yet, but I want to make sure it never does. If I could be assured it would not be shown on the internet I would continue on with my fight which I'd like to do since I've made it this far.

To answer your question regarding my insured date, this is something I've found out every working person has, and I found this out too late. My date was many years ago I never knew anything about. I didn't have the internet at home, or even in the work place to easily gain knowledge of something like this at that time. I envy all the people that have this tool today. The internet is a wonderful thing, but revealing people's personal medical cases on the net I think goes a bit too far. I think people should be informed this could happen, that could make it where more people decide to never appeal a judge's decision, or continue on knowing this. They really can't use anything else against me but the date, I qualify in all other areas and was on SSI for many years. That isn't to be considered now because I was removed from that due to not qualifying financially anymore. Social security wants to make sure I never get anything again. They've succeeded there, I'll give them that. I should be able to request my medical file be sealed, but I don't think that can be done without knowing the right person. I don't know the right people to help me, so I most likely will bail out from my appeal. It doesn't look like I stand much of a chance anyway, I've been beat up by social security as well as other regular people over telling me I should have known. I already suffer from low self esteem, this kind of stuff just makes me dwell on how stupid I was not to know about the date. It doesn't matter to the judge what I was going through at the time, some of the judges love to be mean & turn most of the people down. I see she has a very high denial rating; I guess this makes her feel superior to the poor people turned away to fend for themselves.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

First, purusue SSDI so that you can have any benefits to which you are entitled and awareded.

Then you can pursue finding out if information is on line. There are companies out there that help your internet presence and they might be able to look into what can be done to remove any reference to you.

I've never seen a fully detailed case out on the internet. What I've found even when using the judge name is very vague and "surface data". And, if f it would require knowing your judge to find you, it would be hard to find anything. There's no reason you can't show your attorney what you've found on the internet and ask how this can be avoided or what law there is that allows this. I know in criminal cases of course the information is public but even then it's extremely hard to find unless you know exactly what detail you are looking for.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 08-14-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

I was shocked to see my friend's entire case displayed, as well as his denial. The other cases I looked at did give out some very detailed information, many of the cases were mental disorders such as mine. I was kind of excited at first when I found this site, because I saw so many others were appealing the judge's decision too. many of them were for some of the same reasons I have. I found out none of these cases showed the end result which I would have liked to have known. It says someone has to pay $4.95 a case to see the entire case. That isn't much I know, but I don't want to pay that to probably see a bunch of denials even after the appeals. I know that is sounding negative, but it does get much more difficult at this level & it shouldn't have to be. If someone didn't get a fair hearing they simply didn't get a fair hearing.

I will send this information to my lawyer & ask if something could be done to not reveal my case, & explain why it is even more so important for me it not be posted. I'll see what he has to say about it. I'm feeling pretty beat down & not feeling like I have much hope. Usually I'm on here declaring I'm going to continue fighting all the way to the end. Hopefully I get some kind of good news & I can pass the info on here. I want people to be aware of what can is happening to their cases once they reach this level. It's scary how such important things like last insured dates and no privacy aren't revealed or disclosed. I personally think they should be. No matter how smart someone is, no one knows everything about all this kind of crazy stuff all on their own.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I wouldn't expect anyone to understand last insured whether a HS dropout or someone with a PhD. Unfortunately it's expected that someone will apply for SSI/SSDI simply based on the need for income within a relatively reasonable period after being out of work and thus remain insured. Fighting DLI is very hard but can be done.

I have one acquaintance with severe lupus and RA who works 10 hr/wk and won't apply. I've told her about DLI and that working only 10 hr/wk she's not earning credits and thus her "time insured" is bound to end. I even taught a closer friend of hers about the facts so she could mention it and use something like "hey, my friend just applied due to RA and was approved but was close to loosing eligibility". No matter what this person won't budge and she actually avoids me now when we're at the same event. When she applies and is denied I have no sympathy now that at least 2 people have warned her.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 08-14-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Closed Thread