It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User
Thumbs up SSDI adds to Compassionate Allowances list

I read in todays paper an article explaining SS/Michael Astrue has OK'd an additional 12 conditions involving severe heart diseases to the 'Compassionate Allowances' lists of conditions, bringing the total compassionate allowances to 100. If you have any of these 'allowances' your SSDI application is 'fast tracked'. The additions are:

aortic atresia
left ventricular assist device recipient
Eisemenger syndrome
mitral valve atresia
endromyocardial fibrosis
primary cardiac amyloidosis
heart tranplant graft failure
pulmonary atresia
heart transplant wait list, 1A/1B, single ventricle
hypoplastic left heart syndrome
and tricuspid atresia

Then the article goes on to say for further information see the website
www.socialsecurity.gov/compassionateallowances

Hope this was not a duplicate posting & it helps folks.

PS: I just counted whats in the paper and what I typed, there are only 11 in both.. so maybe the website has the 12th. I haven't gone there yet to look

Last edited by Jacki345; 08-18-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: to add the PS

The Following User Says Thank You to Jacki345 For This Useful Post:
mscat40 (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: SSDI adds to Compassionate Allowances list

Good info. The compassionate allowance list is meant to contain life threatening illnesses/conditions. But a few people who have those conditions end up being mistakenly denied. So if anyone has serious life threatening conditions look at the web page Jacki noted to see if your condition is on the list and if so push for immediate approval.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacki345 View Post
I read in todays paper an article explaining SS/Michael Astrue has OK'd an additional 12 conditions involving severe heart diseases to the 'Compassionate Allowances' lists of conditions, bringing the total compassionate allowances to 100. If you have any of these 'allowances' your SSDI application is 'fast tracked'. The additions are:

aortic atresia
left ventricular assist device recipient
Eisemenger syndrome
mitral valve atresia
endromyocardial fibrosis
primary cardiac amyloidosis
heart tranplant graft failure
pulmonary atresia
heart transplant wait list, 1A/1B, single ventricle
hypoplastic left heart syndrome
and tricuspid atresia

Then the article goes on to say for further information see the website
www.socialsecurity.gov/compassionateallowances

Hope this was not a duplicate posting & it helps folks.

PS: I just counted whats in the paper and what I typed, there are only 11 in both.. so maybe the website has the 12th. I haven't gone there yet to look
Thanks Jacki. I read this also about a month ago. Are the compassionate allowances approved in less than a month? I know they are approved quickly but I just did not know how quickly. Does anyone know?

Old 08-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I don't believe there are any written timelines that require it be done in X amount of weeks/months. They key for Compassionate Allowance (CAL) is the receipt of the (1) SS application (2) Receipt of objective medical evidence that proves a condition.

http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/

For example, and this occurred with my cousin, he was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gherig's disease) based on his symptoms, tests, and his mother had the same thing and so the doctors knew what they were looking for as opposed to wondering if it's ALS or MS or something else. (My aunt died of ALS in 2000 and her son, my cousin, at age 55 in 2010).

A doctor can not say "suspect patient may have ALS", it has to be concrete documentation of a definitive diagnosis.

For my cousin once they got the application and medical information to SS they had not heard anything after a month, I told them to either contact some of the advocates that work with ALS patients (social workers, counselors, health advocates, etc). They did use the social worker who called and put a push behind the claim and it was approved about 3 days later. For SS immediate approvals have to be reviewed by an employee the next level up (i.e. supervisor) since it's express approval and they have to be sure it's based on concrete medical evidence and/or diagnostic criteria.

If you go the link above it also has some additional links, from there, that take you to the work rules for Compassionate Allowance. It gets a bit technical and none of us would really understand all the jargon or the work flow but click on the statement that says "Additional information about how compassionate allowances are processed"

On that page and it takes you to the work flow process rules (if you are interested in getting in that depth).

Can it be approved in under a month? Yes. But it's more likely to take a bit longer becuase the person applies and then asks the doctors for medical informatino and/or SS has to request medical information. Then once all that is received and seen as meeting all requirements, approved, and sent to a supervisor type person to validate the approval.

Most conditions under CAL still have a 5 mo mandatory waiting period so even if approved early the person would still have to wait until benefit begin date to get benefits.

Here is the full list of CAL diagnoses:
http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/conditions.htm

Last edited by SpineAZ; 08-18-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Thanks Jacki. I read this also about a month ago. Are the compassionate allowances approved in less than a month? I know they are approved quickly but I just did not know how quickly. Does anyone know?
G'Mornin' Blueskies

According to the author of the article, which was in the 8/18 paper, who writes something of interest to educate on SS issues, wrote these additional illnesses/diagnoses were to be effective 'this' month. How long it takes SS, not sure, but the author did speak to eligibility of 'fast tracking' these kind of claims.

Closed Thread