It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

MsTasha601 HB UserMsTasha601 HB User
Unhappy Discouraged....

Well a letter came in the mail today and I have been denied. I know most people get denied the first time that they apply. I'm kinda discouraged about this whole process but come Monday morning I am hiring a legal aide to help me in this battle. The letter states:
"The evidence shows that you have some restrictions. Your restrictions prevent you from performing your past work as a babysitter as your describe this work. However, your restrictions do not preclude you from performing that type of work as it is normally performed in the national economy."

I quit doing that job because I was falling alsleep while watching the kids and I even dropped a child. I applied for ssi for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome which is a Dysautonomia disease and I know it is not listed under SSI. I also listed my fibromyalgia,depression,and anxiety. I have many more health problems but I only listed these. I am young and I know that is being used against me. I had a letter from my cardiologist. I am in pain everyday. I can't stand up for too long without fainting,I can't sit too long without my body swelling due to my edema issues. I am losing my reflectes in my hands and I have trouble using them. I stay inside my home most of the day.I don't go out unless I have to. If I go out in public I have anxiety attacks.

I had to move back in with my mom. I can barely take care of my own kids so I don't know why they think that I can take care of someone elses. Sorry for such a long post I am just aggravated and this isn't helping with my depression right now. Thanks for listening.

The following 8 users give hugs of support to: MsTasha601
Jacki345 (08-22-2011), jgrangran (08-20-2011), mscat40 (08-20-2011), msgenerallee (08-21-2011), Phoenix (08-22-2011), sickandtired99 (08-20-2011), sunni123 (08-20-2011), sunshine555 (08-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: Discouraged....

Mstasha601, I know its hard to get that first denieal, I can tell you it happens to so many people and so many give up and don't fight any longer but you need to keep fighting there are good ssa lawyers out there and some wont take a case until its denied first. and that letter they send says the same thing to others it is a standard letter that says almost the same thing except the different type of jobs are listed depending on what that person used to do. Its hard to read it I know it hapened to me but if you get a good lawyer they will tell you what to do next. read these post and ask question you will see the process is so tuff mentaly and physcially people on this site will guilde you along and offer support. I hope you continue ti fight if you are having a hard time working. good luck to you. we are all here if you need support.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
MsTasha601 (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

It is very discourging to get that deniel letter. Rmember that this happens to the majority of applicants. Getting a Lawyer will help take the stress out but I think a person has to be denied a couple of times first. I understand how difficult childcare is. You have to be ontop of your game every second caring for children. I taught preschool over 20 years.
Keep going with your claim. Don't get discouraged enough to stop. Social security can be a real nighmare.

Last edited by mscat40; 08-20-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User

I know how easy it is to get discouraged during this process, especially after receiving a denial letter. But I'm glad to hear that you are seeking legal help. That's the best thing you can do at this point. Also, keep seeing your doctor on a regular basis. Whatever you do, don't give up. We're all here to support you during this!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

The 1st denial letter is nearly a duplicate to mine, except they said I could do the work I already do -- which my employer of 32 years had enough.. I pretty much expected the denial, even the 2nd one (so I wouldn't be so disappointed). I did let my guard down when the VSU got my case and then didn't approve me - so that is my fault.

Don't fret it - hang in there, you've just started. There is apparently a method to their madness. It does take time in most cases. Find yourself a good SS atty and appeal. Usually you can do this with a phone call to SSA.

Last edited by Jacki345; 08-22-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
(female)

sickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB User

Dysautonmia is a very difficult disorder not only to understand for some dr's; I think SSA doesn't even know where to begin to comprehend it and they think it's a quick easy fix with meds/lifestyle changes and patients should be fine.

Being denied is not easy espeically when we're dealing with these symptoms daily.

I have recurring malignant heart arrhythmia's; Neurocardiogenic Syncope & Orthostatic Intolerance (and a long grocery list of other things wrong)...even proving my heart stops when I faint wasn't enough for an approval.

Nor was proving that every med they've tried, lifestyle changes, and an ICD to stop fainting wasn't enough - I still faint and hurt myself 2 years after implant and I was still denied.

I wish I had hired an attorney after my first denial; this process may have been easier and caused me alot less stress and emotional distress.

hang in there and good luck; keep us posted how it's going with your case

Old 08-21-2011, 03:39 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacki345 View Post
The 1st denial letter is nearly a duplicate to mine, except they said I could do the work I already do -- which my employer of 32 years had enough.. I pretty much expected the denial, even the 2nd one (do I wouldn't be so disappointed). I did let my guard down when the VSU got my case and then didn't approve me - so that is my fault.

Don't fret it - hang in there, you've just started. There is apparently a method to their madness. It does take time in most cases. Find yourself a good SS atty and appeal. Usually you can do this with a phone call to SSA.
I agree with Jacki. Don't let any denials at levels 1 or 2 bother you. I got those same basic generic denial letters. You have the best chance at being approved @ level 3. After reading and re-reading my approval letter, the biggest factor in the approval decision appears to be what my doctor wrote. This weighed very heavily in the judge's decision. She also took into account my medical records which supported my claim of why I could not work any longer. She also talked about the mental health CE but this did not weigh as heavily as what my doc said and my medical records. I can't stress enough>>>>after you are approved, you must continue to see your doc(s) on a regular basis to protect future benefits. Also after going thru this process and reading the judge's decision, it is critical I think to use a lawyer or non-lawyer SSDI representative like Jacki said. You really do increase your chances of getting approved and it takes away a lot of the stress involved during this process.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickandtired99 View Post
I wish I had hired an attorney after my first denial; this process may have been easier and caused me alot less stress and emotional distress.
You are absolutely correct. It is much better to leave this process in the hands of professionals. It is a lot less stressful on you and you increase your chances at getting approved. I strongly recommend not going it alone.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:44 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
I agree with Jacki. Don't let any denials at levels 1 or 2 bother you. I got those same basic generic denial letters. You have the best chance at being approved @ level 3. After reading and re-reading my approval letter, the biggest factor in the approval decision appears to be what my doctor wrote. This weighed very heavily in the judge's decision. She also took into account my medical records which supported my claim of why I could not work any longer. She also talked about the mental health CE but this did not weigh as heavily as what my doc said and my medical records. I can't stress enough>>>>after you are approved, you must continue to see your doc(s) on a regular basis to protect future benefits. Also after going thru this process and reading the judge's decision, it is critical I think to use a lawyer or non-lawyer SSDI representative like Jacki said. You really do increase your chances of getting approved and it takes away a lot of the stress involved during this process.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:45 AM   #10
(female)

edrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB User

dont give up,hire an attorny,continue to see your dr.,and take your medications and get your prescriptions filled on a regular basis.try to keep your own set of records.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

I read the statics on the computer when I first talked to a lawyer and they are saying ss denies 65-70 percent of the cases. Make sure you include all meds, lawyer what you cannot do, all ailments. Good luck.

Last edited by dee088; 08-21-2011 at 06:27 AM. Reason: wrong info

Old 08-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrivera61 View Post
dont give up,hire an attorny,continue to see your dr.,and take your medications and get your prescriptions filled on a regular basis.try to keep your own set of records.
Excellent! You summed it up perfectly edrivera61.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee088 View Post
I read the statics on the computer when I first talked to a lawyer and they are saying ss denies 65-70 percent of the cases. Make sure you include all meds, lawyer what you cannot do, all ailments. Good luck.
You are correct. At level one (application level), the denial rate is approx. (60-70)%. At level two (reconsideration), the rate is even higher (approx. 85%). At level 3 if you are using a lawyer or non lawyer SSDI representative, you have a very good chance of being approved. Don't let any initial denials discourage you. Appeal and keep going forward.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTasha601 View Post
Well a letter came in the mail today and I have been denied. I know most people get denied the first time that they apply. I'm kinda discouraged about this whole process but come Monday morning I am hiring a legal aide to help me in this battle. The letter states:
"The evidence shows that you have some restrictions. Your restrictions prevent you from performing your past work as a babysitter as your describe this work. However, your restrictions do not preclude you from performing that type of work as it is normally performed in the national economy."

I quit doing that job because I was falling alsleep while watching the kids and I even dropped a child. I applied for ssi for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome which is a Dysautonomia disease and I know it is not listed under SSI. I also listed my fibromyalgia,depression,and anxiety. I have many more health problems but I only listed these. I am young and I know that is being used against me. I had a letter from my cardiologist. I am in pain everyday. I can't stand up for too long without fainting,I can't sit too long without my body swelling due to my edema issues. I am losing my reflectes in my hands and I have trouble using them. I stay inside my home most of the day.I don't go out unless I have to. If I go out in public I have anxiety attacks.

I had to move back in with my mom. I can barely take care of my own kids so I don't know why they think that I can take care of someone elses. Sorry for such a long post I am just aggravated and this isn't helping with my depression right now. Thanks for listening.
Every body gets denied at the first round don't give up the only thing I can tell you is at your age you better have a doctor behind you , because if you not your chances of winning will be zilch.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
(female)

msgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB User

i don t know what more to say that others have not said, except to repeat..
do not let the initial and recon denial (if it happens) discourage you, keep appealing !! hire an atty .. i recommend once you have filed reconsideration, go ahead and research and find you a good ssdi (one that only handles ssdi claims) attorney and be prepared to call them and hire them if you get denied at recon level...
i have been fighting ssa for almost 6 yrs, with 2 consecutive claims and finally approved on claim #2 just 2 weeks ago at the alj hearing.. you can check my into page to see what all i have been thru over 6 years, and i am not the only one here who has been fighting this many years....
in the words of wwe star john cena "never give up" !! good luck to you and hang on with us here for the support you need to get thru this...

Closed Thread