It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
(male)

deme HB User
Question Approved for SSI, but have to undergo separate Medical Determination SSDI.

Hello,
I am new to this site. Seems to be a good one with knowledgeable, experienced members.

In April 2011, I applied for SSDI. Ten days later, I was sent a form to file for SSI, too. I did. One month later, May 5th, 2011. I received Award letter form SSI saying I was approved for being disabled, but no payments are due now (for 3 months June, July, August) because of my wife's income. ( I have no income) If my household income changes (meaning, if it decreases) after the three months I should let them know so they can re-calculate to see if I will get payment for the next 3 months(Sept. Oct. Nov )

I was surprised that they found me disabled and eligible for SSI so quickly with the little medical records I sent to them. They did not send me the “ Daily Function Report, Pain Report, Work history Report Forms”. So, I was waiting for my Approval letter from SSDI, since SSI had Approved me.

Two weeks later, I received a call from SSDI saying they have sent me the forms I mentioned above and they have ordered for my medical records, so they can review and make a decision. Being surprised, I told her that I have been Approved by SSI, was waiting for an Approval letter from SSDI, so why was I being sent the forms to fill? She said they were different from SSI.

My question is this, Why does the Social Security Administration, which operates both the SSI and SSDI programs have to do two separate medical determinations in my case? I have read on many sites that they use only one “medical determination” to Approve or deny.

I am wondering if they really did a medical determination for my SSI. Someone said that when you apply for both, they first calculate your income to see if you qualify for SSI. If you don't they will deny your SSI and will not do a Medical determination for SSI. But in my case they found me to be disabled, then Approved. How can they find me disabled for SSI without doing a Medical determination, but now asking for a medical determination for SSDI?

I am confused!! If Social Security Administration found me disabled for SSI, then I think they should find me disabled for SSDI without having to do another Medical Determination for my SSDI.

Anyway, I have filled the forms and returned them and still waiting for a response from the Disability Examiner.
How often should I call the Examiner to check on the status. One Expert has suggested two weeks.

Someone, please help. This Forum seems to have a lot of experienced people.

Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to deme:
pme (08-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: Approved for SSI, but have to undergo separate Medical Determination SSDI.

That is weird, and your question is a good one. maybe someone sent the wrong letter to you because you wouldn't get ssi anyway because of your wifes income. Because I know when I applied I applied for both but I got a letter saying I did'nt quifly because of my husband income however it said something like although I ( may) be disabled under there rules I don't quifly financility for ssi. Its like they didn't come out and say I was disabled they just stop when they realize I no longer quiflyed under there income rules. But I did however get ssdi in a total of 8 months after the first denial. on reconsideration stage. It can be a long confusing wait and then it may not some people have very little records and get approved there is no rhyme are reason behind it. But all I can say is good luck and make copies of everything you get from ssa and everthing sent to ssa always. and write down who you talk to and filled out each form and copy it and sent it in right away and get a lawyer. I would also take alist of meds and any test you had done when you go to the CE and sign a release to have the CE results to your family DR. so you can get a copy so you might can see which way the CE is leaning. All forms are important but the RFC form is very important if you can get your DR. to fill it out that will help a lot. I think you should keep comming to this board and ask question there are a lot of very smart people that can help you about all I can really offer is incouragement you willl need it. You will need to know the other thing is don't give up. If you indeed can't work medicaly and realize this is a long battle. but everyone on this board is very postive and helpful. again good luck please keep us informed how things are going for you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
deme (09-08-2011), pme (08-23-2011), sunni123 (08-24-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

SSI and SSDI have the same requirements for determining disability. After social security finds a person disabled your file goes back to your local social security office and then the represenatives figure out what the individul qualifies for. SSI is income based and is for people who have not worked enough credits to qualify for SSDI. PLus their ascets are low enough. It is $2000 for a single person and $3000 for a married couple. SSDI has no income requirements.
When I was approved for disabilty i was given a appointment to go to my local S.S office. i first talk to a woman about SSI and she told me I qualified for SSDI she then asked me which one I wanted. I chose SSDI . So then I talked to a different represenative . When I got my approval letter it said I was medically approved but not the other part. I just needed to go to the appointment to find out what I qualified for. A person can have both SSI and SSDI if the SSDI amount is low enough.
Maybe social security is looking to see if you qualify financially for SSDI and have found that you do qualify for SSI for certain months, but as of now your wife is making too much .
Or their is a slight possiblity that social security messed up. Since they did not have you fill out all the paperwork that is required to make a determination they cannot until they have all your paperwork. It looks like they caught this mistake and are backpeddaling. If I understand this correctly social secuirty has not paid you anything yet but approved you for one program without having all the information so now thay are requesting it. I doubt they can overturn the approval for SSI , and now Social Security is going back to your claim requesting the right papers to make a accurate determination. Usually when their is a approval made it is for both programs until social security decides if the person is not elegible for one of the programs , or is for both. They are doing things a little differently on your claim , which I suspect something was not done the way it should. Keep n mind that their is a 5 month waiting period when you first apply for benefits . How often should you call? Since their is a 5month wait period I would wait for a few months and then call the examiner. It is best to call the examiner that is at the disability dietermination services "DDS" That is the one who decides a claim of approval .

Last edited by mscat40; 08-23-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add on

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
deme (09-08-2011), jgrangran (08-23-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Perhaps an SS attorney can assist you. It may cost you a bit of your SSDI back pay if awarded (SS guideline limits attorney fee to 25% of back pay to a max of $6000). Chose ONLY an attorney who does only SS law.

My understanding., as others have stated, is the medical evaluation covers both SSI and SSDI (if you are eligible for both). Then there is an income/asset evaluation for SSI

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
deme (09-08-2011), jgrangran (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I just remmbered something my lawyer told me that ssa has to have certain forms to close a case so I'm sure those forms wil be comming.

Closed Thread