It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
NOTSONUTSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Down South, Baton Rouge
Posts: 157
NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
Question Social Security Disability overload?

I thought for sure someone would have posted about the recent news that Social Security Disability is expected to run out of money unless congress takes action. (sorry, too sleepy at 2 a.m. to quote the news article). It stated that because of the economy & millions of aging baby-boomers, there has been huge increase of applicants for SSDI. I, myself, receive SSI but that's probably in danger too. *sigh*
__________________
Champagne for my real friends & real pain for my sham friends! (teehee)

 
Old 08-24-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clearwater Florida
Posts: 1,162
vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTSONUTSO View Post
I thought for sure someone would have posted about the recent news that Social Security Disability is expected to run out of money unless congress takes action. (sorry, too sleepy at 2 a.m. to quote the news article). It stated that because of the economy & millions of aging baby-boomers, there has been huge increase of applicants for SSDI. I, myself, receive SSI but that's probably in danger too. *sigh*
Yes the ssdi fund is expected to run out by the year 2017 unless congress dose not do anything to put more money in the fund. I have a feeling that the ssa is going to tighten up the rules to file for disability they have to. There is more going out than coming in FICA taxes fund the ssi and ssdi trust fund,with less people working now and the baby boomers wanting to collect it has put a real strain on the. Fund. What will happen is anyone's guess but there will be a change for people trying to collect ssdi and ssi.there has to be

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)
 
Jacki345's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 419
Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann04 View Post
Yes the ssdi fund is expected to run out by the year 2017 unless congress dose not do anything to put more money in the fund. I have a feeling that the ssa is going to tighten up the rules to file for disability they have to. There is more going out than coming in FICA taxes fund the ssi and ssdi trust fund,with less people working now and the baby boomers wanting to collect it has put a real strain on the. Fund. What will happen is anyone's guess but there will be a change for people trying to collect ssdi and ssi.there has to be
1st things 1st: They/congress needs to get their grubby hands out of the SSA funds. They always use it for one thing or another. If they quit using it for other things there wouldn't be ANY problems funding. Plus, once folks are back to work again, that will be helpful = more money in the pot. (Yes, I know SSA wasn't originally designed for SSD, but that was then. Now we've paid into it, so those who qualify should get it. )


I realize the boomer issue is an issue, but I think there are more 20-30yr olds trying to collect/clogging up the system, coz they think it will pay more than unemployment. (Some states BARELY have unemployment worth getting in your car to spend the money on gas just to cash the check.) But the 'kids' who are trying to take the easy ride are really cozing a huge riff with crazy cases and junking up the flow with the process.. My atty's paralegal even told me that. Said the mounting phone calls they get daily are from those just getting out of college or just new in the work arena & got laid off, haven't found work and discovered a 'thorn' in their finger. They are turning down most of the cases they are getting calls for at this point.

 
The following user gives a hug of support to Jacki345:
vann04 (08-24-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacki345 For This Useful Post:
NOTSONUTSO (08-25-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 626
gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

Yes, because of the huge increase in applicants, I bet they start to tighten up the rules to file for disability ... not to mention the fact that they are running out of funds. What a mess.

Not only are lots of people 'suddenly finding a thorn in their finger' , but I think many truly disabled people have lost jobs. Some disabled people were able to work, because of kind bosses who let them work around their disability. If they lost that job, and are unable to find another, they have no choice but to now file for SSDI.

We are at a time when young, able bodied people can not find a job ... and yet they expect disabled people to find one. I fear it is only going to get worse.

 
Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clearwater Florida
Posts: 1,162
vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacki345 View Post
1st things 1st: They/congress needs to get their grubby hands out of the SSA funds. They always use it for one thing or another. If they quit using it for other things there wouldn't be ANY problems funding. Plus, once folks are back to work again, that will be helpful = more money in the pot. (Yes, I know SSA wasn't originally designed for SSD, but that was then. Now we've paid into it, so those who qualify should get it. )


I realize the boomer issue is an issue, but I think there are more 20-30yr olds trying to collect/clogging up the system, coz they think it will pay more than unemployment. (Some states BARELY have unemployment worth getting in your car to spend the money on gas just to cash the check.) But the 'kids' who are trying to take the easy ride are really cozing a huge riff with crazy cases and junking up the flow with the process.. My atty's paralegal even told me that. Said the mounting phone calls they get daily are from those just getting out of college or just new in the work arena & got laid off, haven't found work and discovered a 'thorn' in their finger. They are turning down most of the cases they are getting calls for at this point.
yes the baby boomer is a issue but they in my opinion have funded the fund the most because when ssdi was set up it was in the baby boomer years. I know allot of people will argue this point but i think it to be true. And the baby boomer"s deserve to receive ssdi if they are truly disabled. There are to many younger trying to get ssdi or ssi just because there is no jobs at this time. Also if these kids getting out of collage and trying to get on ssdi or ssi are mostly saying that they have some mental issues or they have fibromyalgia or back problems if you look at there profile its like they copy and pasted into there own profile because they mostly read the same. My lawyer even told me the same thing he recives allot of calls from people in there late 20s and early 30s about ssdi and he said 99% did not even have a chance of winning .

 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)
 
sunni123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 342
sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

Hopefully they will reallocate money from the retirement program like they did in '94 when the DI trust fund was in trouble then, but that would only be a temporary fix. They should stop the payroll tax holiday so that more FICA can come in. I guess the 12 member congressional committee will be deciding a lot before Thanksgiving - hopefully it won't be just cuts but enhancements to keep the programs solvent for a long time.

 
Old 08-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Registered User
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,777
mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann04 View Post
yes the baby boomer is a issue but they in my opinion have funded the fund the most because when ssdi was set up it was in the baby boomer years. I know allot of people will argue this point but i think it to be true. And the baby boomer"s deserve to receive ssdi if they are truly disabled. There are to many younger trying to get ssdi or ssi just because there is no jobs at this time. Also if these kids getting out of collage and trying to get on ssdi or ssi are mostly saying that they have some mental issues or they have fibromyalgia or back problems if you look at there profile its like they copy and pasted into there own profile because they mostly read the same. My lawyer even told me the same thing he recives allot of calls from people in there late 20s and early 30s about ssdi and he said 99% did not even have a chance of winning .
This is what really angers me. The college kids thinking they can collect disability becasue they cannot find work. this is a big problem. Even though they are going to be denied it takes time to get rid of the bogus claims, taking it away from people who truely are disabled. Mental health/mental illness is very serious it is not a joke. BUt, the people thinking they can scrape by and use it to their advantage is upsetting ! I do know that parents try and get it for their children who have things like ADHD, and are going to be denied. If people did research and learn about social security this would help greatly. Their is a lot of misconception out there. Social security is not for the unemployed who need the money until they get a job, so they think they can get it because of migraines or something minor. Most people who are truely disabled are having a difficult time just getting on it. I know their are going to be changes in the system , i Just hope they are not going to decrease payments . They have done this with SSI . in California.

 
Old 08-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clearwater Florida
Posts: 1,162
vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
This is what really angers me. The college kids thinking they can collect disability becasue they cannot find work. this is a big problem. Even though they are going to be denied it takes time to get rid of the bogus claims, taking it away from people who truely are disabled. Mental health/mental illness is very serious it is not a joke. BUt, the people thinking they can scrape by and use it to their advantage is upsetting ! I do know that parents try and get it for their children who have things like ADHD, and are going to be denied. If people did research and learn about social security this would help greatly. Their is a lot of misconception out there. Social security is not for the unemployed who need the money until they get a job, so they think they can get it because of migraines or something minor. Most people who are truely disabled are having a difficult time just getting on it. I know their are going to be changes in the system , i Just hope they are not going to decrease payments . They have done this with SSI . in California.
For one thing collage kidshave no work record and. If they think if they get ssdi or ssi they don't have to pay back there student loans they are wrong. Student loans are not protected by the ssa. These kids better get a job or there in for a rude awakening.

 
Old 08-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)
 
SpineAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,091
SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

I find it's not something I can spend time worrying about. There are always reports on the government running out of funds for one area or the other. The US would never want to be known as the premier free country to drop people from disability coverage. The government is in a hard place:

Insufficient funds to keep going = not enough money to fund adequate staffing for a long period=long delays in SS processing.
__________________
Rt&Lt thumb arthroplasty 2012 ; RT TKR & Bilat CTS 2011
Fusions: L5-S1 (87), L4-S1 (93), C5-C7 ('06), L3-S1 ('10)
C5-C7 foraminotomy 08

 
Old 08-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clearwater Florida
Posts: 1,162
vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
I find it's not something I can spend time worrying about. There are always reports on the government running out of funds for one area or the other. The US would never want to be known as the premier free country to drop people from disability coverage. The government is in a hard place:

Insufficient funds to keep going = not enough money to fund adequate staffing for a long period=long delays in SS processing.
And like you say can't worry about spilled milk what happens happens there is nothing any of us can do about it.

 
Old 08-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)
 
SpineAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,091
SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

I should have added that everyone should be a registered voter and pay attention to the candidates in your area and their stance/approach to SS issues. Many people vote based on issues most important to them as individuals. For example, SS is more important to me than perhaps land allocation in my state for development of some commercial use, so I pay attention to the SS stance of candidates. Since SS funding is prevalent in recent news candidates are bound to address it.
__________________
Rt&Lt thumb arthroplasty 2012 ; RT TKR & Bilat CTS 2011
Fusions: L5-S1 (87), L4-S1 (93), C5-C7 ('06), L3-S1 ('10)
C5-C7 foraminotomy 08

 
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
Jacki345 (08-25-2011), pme (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
pme pme is offline
Senior Member
(female)
 
pme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 273
pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
I should have added that everyone should be a registered voter and pay attention to the candidates in your area and their stance/approach to SS issues. Many people vote based on issues most important to them as individuals. For example, SS is more important to me than perhaps land allocation in my state for development of some commercial use, so I pay attention to the SS stance of candidates. Since SS funding is prevalent in recent news candidates are bound to address it.
Good advice Spine

 
Old 08-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clearwater Florida
Posts: 1,162
vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
I should have added that everyone should be a registered voter and pay attention to the candidates in your area and their stance/approach to SS issues. Many people vote based on issues most important to them as individuals. For example, SS is more important to me than perhaps land allocation in my state for development of some commercial use, so I pay attention to the SS stance of candidates. Since SS funding is prevalent in recent news candidates are bound to address it.
Very good point also job creation remember no jobs means no FICA for ssdi or ssi

 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: georgia
Posts: 198
msgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

spineAZ and Vann04, excellent post !! i agree ! 2012 is election year for pres, and some other congressional offices... pay attention to who is supporting what !

 
Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
Senior Member
(female)
 
NOTSONUTSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Down South, Baton Rouge
Posts: 157
NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
Re: Social Security Disability overload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle4102 View Post
Yes, because of the huge increase in applicants, I bet they start to tighten up the rules to file for disability ... not to mention the fact that they are running out of funds. What a mess.

Not only are lots of people 'suddenly finding a thorn in their finger' , but I think many truly disabled people have lost jobs. Some disabled people were able to work, because of kind bosses who let them work around their disability. If they lost that job, and are unable to find another, they have no choice but to now file for SSDI.

We are at a time when young, able bodied people can not find a job ... and yet they expect disabled people to find one. I fear it is only going to get worse.
One of the issues mentioned in the article was disabled people losing their jobs & having to file for benefits because there are no other options.
__________________
Champagne for my real friends & real pain for my sham friends! (teehee)

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
I finally received my social security backpay!! Inpayne2 Health Insurance Issues 19 03-10-2012 03:18 PM
Social Security Disability Question namastelol Disabilities 10 06-07-2011 01:46 PM
Difference in $$ Between SSDI and Social Security BrittleBones Disabilities 2 05-13-2011 06:02 PM
Just received a letter from social security DazzledByEdward Disabilities 8 03-21-2011 02:30 PM
Called Social Security Today mscat40 Disabilities 2 03-18-2011 12:52 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



BlueSkies14 (605), mscat40 (414), SpineAZ (411), jgrangran (393), ferd144 (153), gayle428 (147), sunni123 (138), vann04 (103), Jacki345 (95), NElady (75)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1139), MSJayhawk (942), Apollo123 (859), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (773), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!