It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

namastelol HB Usernamastelol HB User
Disability Hearing on Thursday California

Hello - I have my Disability hearing on Thursday and was hoping someone out there might be able to give me a sense of what to expect or any important tips. I was in a car accident 2.5 years ago that resulted in a brain injury (MTBI) and serious pain. My short-term memory is nearly gone - I literallly cannot remember yesterday. I am in a constant state of brain fog, get migraines a couple of times a week and need to sleep/nap two hours a day or my situation gets much worse. I was denied my first application, reapplied and they sent me to their doctors. their doctors found me to have a brain injury but felt I could still do my old work (management consultant). So I had to get a lawyer and now we have our hearing on Thursday. My neurologist, MD and Chiropractor have all filled out an RFC (?) stating my abilities are severly limited (can't lift, sit, think clearly...). I am 45 and have a Masters Degree which I am pretty sure will be a part of their decision.

So I know I have a lawyer for a reason but would love to hear from someone has been there. Sorry for the long post :0)

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: namastelol
jgrangran (08-30-2011), mscat40 (08-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Disability Hearing on Thursday California

I just wanted to wish you good luck in your hearing. To me , it sounds like you have a strong case. I hope everything goes well and smoothly for you.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
namastelol (08-29-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
namastelol (08-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Just wishing you good luck at your hearing. It is good that you have a lawyer - that always makes things easier.

Be sure to come back after the hearing, and let us know how it went.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User

My hearing was in February (still waiting on a decision). I know some people have had horrible experiences in front of the judge, but my experience wasn't bad. It's your chance to explain why you are unable to work. My attorney asked me all of the questions and then questioned the Vocational Expert after she gave her opinion. The judge yawned the entire time, lol. I think he only interrupted one time to clarify something. The whole thing took about 30 minutes. Wishing you luck, and let us know how it goes please!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
(female)

edrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB User

i truly hope they come on with your descion this is to long

The Following User Says Thank You to edrivera61 For This Useful Post:
pme (08-30-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I agree with everyone I hope you get a speedy otr approval. Good Luck

Old 09-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by namastelol View Post
Hello - I have my Disability hearing on Thursday and was hoping someone out there might be able to give me a sense of what to expect or any important tips. I was in a car accident 2.5 years ago that resulted in a brain injury (MTBI) and serious pain. My short-term memory is nearly gone - I literallly cannot remember yesterday. I am in a constant state of brain fog, get migraines a couple of times a week and need to sleep/nap two hours a day or my situation gets much worse. I was denied my first application, reapplied and they sent me to their doctors. their doctors found me to have a brain injury but felt I could still do my old work (management consultant). So I had to get a lawyer and now we have our hearing on Thursday. My neurologist, MD and Chiropractor have all filled out an RFC (?) stating my abilities are severly limited (can't lift, sit, think clearly...). I am 45 and have a Masters Degree which I am pretty sure will be a part of their decision.

So I know I have a lawyer for a reason but would love to hear from someone has been there. Sorry for the long post :0)
Hello All = well, good news to report...I was given a fully-favorable status today. Our judge was about five hours late but when we finally made it in it was over in about 15 minutes. There was a psychologist and a VE. The VE said nothing and the psychologist was the one questioning me. Basically my issue is that I can present well for about 30 minutes max and then I end up in bed or with a migraine. Luckily everyone who evaluated me found me to be credible and with that they believed that I truly suffer from migraines and all of my other stuff. So bottom line, tell the truth, let them see you are really trying your hardest and with luck the truth will win. Thanks to you all for your support - let me know if you have any specific question and I will be more than happy to answer them.

Take care,

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: namastelol
BlueSkies14 (09-02-2011), jgrangran (09-02-2011), pme (09-01-2011), sunni123 (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User

Congratulations!! So happy for you

The Following User Says Thank You to pme For This Useful Post:
namastelol (09-02-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

Congratulations!!

Last edited by sunni123; 09-01-2011 at 09:24 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunni123 For This Useful Post:
namastelol (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

YEA''''''' Congrats to you. please keep comming to this board and helping others that are still in the process if you can. What was your timeline from start to finish?. I'm happy for you and I know others are to YEA'''''''

Old 09-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
I just wanted to wish you good luck in your hearing. To me , it sounds like you have a strong case. I hope everything goes well and smoothly for you.
I concur with what mscat40 said. It really sounds to me like you have a very strong case. Good luck! Please post back the outcome.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Hello All = well, good news to report...I was given a fully-favorable status today. Our judge was about five hours late but when we finally made it in it was over in about 15 minutes. There was a psychologist and a VE. The VE said nothing and the psychologist was the one questioning me. Basically my issue is that I can present well for about 30 minutes max and then I end up in bed or with a migraine. Luckily everyone who evaluated me found me to be credible and with that they believed that I truly suffer from migraines and all of my other stuff. So bottom line, tell the truth, let them see you are really trying your hardest and with luck the truth will win. Thanks to you all for your support - let me know if you have any specific question and I will be more than happy to answer them.

Take care,
namastelol, huge congrats to you friend. What onset date did they give you?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
(female)

Thanks so much! My accident was 2/09, I then went on disability for about nine months - so the SS piece took about 1.5 years. The good thing about a brain injury is that you can't reallly track time, so it didn't feel that long! LOL :0)

Old 09-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

Awesome news!

Pup

Old 09-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:

Take care,
Congradulations ! I am very glad things went smoothly for you and their was a quick approval .

Closed Thread