It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
(female)

rkmgkm HB User
Can I leave country for few weeks while on long term disability

Hi,

It been 2 yrs since I am on long term disability. I have also applied for SSDI. Allsup is helping me with my case. I am on third level appeal and waiting for a hearing. I filed the 3rd appeal in March 2011 and I was told it will take 12 months min to get a hearing. so it should be sometime march 2012.

I am having lot of health issues and also having depression. I want to visit my parents and spend some time with them. I need to leave country as my parents do not live in US.

What are the formalities if I need to leave the country ?
a. Should I inform my Long term disability Insurance provider ? What should i tell them ? will it have any negetive impact on future benefits ? How long can I stay abraod ? ( Iam planning to stay for 2-3 months during winter as my health is worst at that season)
b. Should I inform allsup who is taking care of my SSDI case ? Will they communicate with my long term provider ?

thanks for your replies...

The following user gives a hug of support to rkmgkm:
jgrangran (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Can I leave country for few weeks while on long term disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmgkm View Post
Hi,

It been 2 yrs since I am on long term disability. I have also applied for SSDI. Allsup is helping me with my case. I am on third level appeal and waiting for a hearing. I filed the 3rd appeal in March 2011 and I was told it will take 12 months min to get a hearing. so it should be sometime march 2012.

I am having lot of health issues and also having depression. I want to visit my parents and spend some time with them. I need to leave country as my parents do not live in US.

What are the formalities if I need to leave the country ?
a. Should I inform my Long term disability Insurance provider ? What should i tell them ? will it have any negetive impact on future benefits ? How long can I stay abraod ? ( Iam planning to stay for 2-3 months during winter as my health is worst at that season)
b. Should I inform allsup who is taking care of my SSDI case ? Will they communicate with my long term provider ?

thanks for your replies...
I just glanced at your posting history to keep from having to ask questions that you have already answered before. I assume you have made the transition from own to any occ since you have been on LTD over 2 years. Let me ask you>>>>did things go smoothly and how long did it take the carrier to make their decision. Both Allsup and your carrier need a way to contact you. I assume contact is made via your mobile phone. Since you just started level 3, you really won't hear from Allsup again for the next 4-5 months. They will sometimes call you just to tell that they are still waiting to hear back from SS. If you are concerned while you are away, simply call them after 2 months and inquire about your case. You don't have to mention anything about being abroad unless your medical condition changes while you are away for some reason and you can't get back home as scheduled. If you tell Allsup about your travel plans, they could relay this info on to the LTD carrier since info. can be shared between the two because of all the authorization forms you signed at the outset.

As far as I see it, there is no need to contact the carrier unless the travel abroad would pertain directly to your disability. For example, if you say you have an anxiety disorder with agoraphobia, then the trip abroad could raise some eyebrows but many ppl are able to manage this condition with psychiatric meds while some ppl are literally restricted to the confines of their homes.

My personal opinion is that if you notify the carrier, you appear to be trying to justify your actions and perhaps your disability. My LTD SPD says I only have to notify the carrier if I return to work in any capacity or if my medical condition improves to the point of possibly RTW (return to work).

Let me ask you something. When your disability claims manager contacts you, how does she make contact? My claims manager has my cell phone #. Usually if anyone calls me, it goes to voice mail and I return the call at my convenience. Many ppl simply choose to look at their caller ID and screen all their calls. If you are only contacted once a year or perhaps every 7 or 8 months from the carrier for wellness checks or medical updates and you are going to be leaving the Country only a month or two for example, then I would simply plan my trip and go. I see no reason to notify the carrier since this in no way pertains to your disability and inability to work a full-time job.

Personally, I never volunteer info. I let the carrier ask and then I supply. There is such a thing as TMI (too much information) and what you say today could/might be used against you tomorrow. When was the the last time you had contact with the carrier and what was the contact about?

As far as your SSDI, I think Allsup is great. I used them too and they got me approved in 20 months. You are ok as far as SSDI goes. Your carrier only requires that you apply and appeal all the way to level 3 which you are doing. As long as you satisfy this condition, LTD payments will not be offset until you are approved for SSDI.

I am sure SpineAZ will have some different thoughts since she is the LTD expert here. I am just giving you my personal opinion and what i would do.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (09-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

How often do you see your doctor or doctors? What is the primary cause of your disability? Glancing over your old posts, I see fibro, depression, and lupus. I will check this thread later. Anxiety and panic are kicking my butt again. I am trying to curtail my internet to just an hour per day now.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

I do know that if you are disabled due to pain, fatigue, etc. or you can only sit/stand for a certain amout of time. If your activity is modified a lot by your disability the evaluators do not look favorably on long trips.

They say if you can physically go on a trip then you can work.

I understand needing a vacation, we all do. I just know they look at those things.

Pup

Old 09-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Yeah, you are right Pup. You really never know how someone will interpret these things. Two different ppl may see it from entirely different perspectives. This is why I say if you are required to disclose, then tell but never volunteer information that is not required. If I was going to go on a trip, I would simply go on the trip. Why does LTD/and or SSA need to know this? Also, remember that they always have you fill out those ADL (Activities of Daily Living) forms. I can see this being used adversely against you if you wrote down you barely leave your home but now you wish to take a 2 month trip. Someone could view this as he or she must be better now because you said you could not travel and now you can. I simply would not tell unless you are specifically required to disclose. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupcake View Post
I do know that if you are disabled due to pain, fatigue, etc. or you can only sit/stand for a certain amout of time. If your activity is modified a lot by your disability the evaluators do not look favorably on long trips.

They say if you can physically go on a trip then you can work.

I understand needing a vacation, we all do. I just know they look at those things.

Pup
This is what I was thinking too. Blueskies is also correct. If none of your disabling conditions will prevent you from going on such a long trip then you should be ok. if their is a gap in between you getting treated by your medical Dr's then it might be questioned. In my opinion people with serious disabilites rather it be mental or physical or a combination of both would have a very hard time leaving the country for months at a time.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
This is what I was thinking too. Blueskies is also correct. If none of your disabling conditions will prevent you from going on such a long trip then you should be ok. if their is a gap in between you getting treated by your medical Dr's then it might be questioned. In my opinion people with serious disabilites rather it be mental or physical or a combination of both would have a very hard time leaving the country for months at a time.
Very good points Mscat. What would you do personally if you wanted to go on a 2 week cruise. Would you call up SSA and tell them Mscat or do you think it is none of their business?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Leisure travel can adversely affect LTD benefits as it can be a signal to LTD or SS that the person may be able to work (if it's seen as being beyond the person's limitations ans restrictions. Diagnosed specific ).

A brief trip would be possible as LTD and SS would have no way of knowing. Should they contact you via mail, getting back to them within 10-14 days would be reasonable.

Travel for family emergency (illness or death) would be reasonable in most cases.

My LTD only contacts me via my cell phone number so I'll never miss a call. Any notation of travel in medical or prescription records can be problematic in LTD or SS review of the claim.

Check your LTD plan booklet to see if it sets forth any requirements regarding travel. Allsup or any SS atty or advocacy firm are not meant to act as a liaison between you and SS except for during claim application/appeal process. So they wont pass messages on to SS and with have you contact SS directly for ongoing questions.

Keep in mind, if someone is terminally ill or doing what is called medical tourism the case may be different. There has been a movement recently for people to see out less expensive treatment in another country or perhaps a treatment valid but not yet offered in the US. It would have to be proven as necessary.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 09-01-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
Leisure travel can adversely affect LTD benefits as it can be a signal to LTD or SS that the person may be able to work (if it's seen as being beyond the person's limitations ans restrictions. Diagnosed specific ).

A brief trip would be possible as LTD and SS would have no way of knowing. Should they contact you via mail, getting back to them within 10-14 days would be reasonable.

Travel for family emergency (illness or death) would be reasonable in most cases.

My LTD only contacts me via my cell phone number so I'll never miss a call. Any notation of travel in medical or prescription records can be problematic in LTD or SS review of the claim.

Check your LTD plan booklet to see if it sets forth any requirements regarding travel. Allsup or any SS atty or advocacy firm are not meant to act as a liaison between you and SS except for during claim application/appeal process. So they wont pass messages on to SS and with have you contact SS directly for ongoing questions.

Keep in mind, if someone is terminally ill or doing what is called medical tourism the case may be different. There has been a movement recently for people to see out less expensive treatment in another country or perhaps a treatment valid but not yet offered in the US. It would have to be proven as necessary.
This all makes perfect sense Spine and all points are well taken. Let's say you lived in Texas and wanted to drive to Florida for a week or two. You are not required to tell the carrier this, are you? The poster said she was thinking about leaving for 2 months. That is a fairly longtime. Even if this person notified the carrier and the carrier gave her a green light to do the travel, I would think this still might adversely affect her claim.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You don't have to inform the LTD ins co (unless your LTD policy requires this, which is rare, more common in STD), but if they find out it can adversely affect the claim. Thus mentioning it to any treating provider puts it in your records for review by LTD at any time in the future.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Very good points Mscat. What would you do personally if you wanted to go on a 2 week cruise. Would you call up SSA and tell them Mscat or do you think it is none of their business?
I am not one to really even leave the house very often. Personally if it were for 2 weeks then no I would think social security would try and find a way to penalise me . It may even bring on a CDR. But that is just my opinion.
I read in a article some time ago that people who are on welfare are using their welfare cards in places like Las Vegas, Cruises, and travel expenses. That was a real eye opener. I think if any bank card, or credit card is used it can easily be tracked down , so it is better not to ever try it. In October i am to recieve a insurance check from a accident that happened 20 something years ago. I could go out and do something fun like that , but right now it is not me. I'll have the money though.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: mscat40
jgrangran (09-02-2011), pme (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Do you have insurance in case you get sick. I went to NC me and my husband and he got pneu. and pink eye LOL and had to go to the military ER and of course being on ssdi we didn't have insurance only a county health service which did not cover anything out of our county so he did get treated but know we are making payment to that hospital as well as I county sliding scale payment. I'm not sure where he picked up pink eye but he had to go stay with my other daughter who also lives on the army base (she has no children) because the daughter we were staying with were scared we would give them and her kids pneu or pink eye. Then I got the bad case of BPPV but there was no way I was going to go to the ER. I was just trying to say Murphy"s Law meaning what happens if you get sick in another country altogether? Oh yes I tried to stay postive thinking we would not get sick but it didn't help. Our DR. warned us something like that could happen he knew we didn't have health care outside of our county. Anyway Best of Luck to you I hope you are well and are able to stay well that long.

Last edited by jgrangran; 09-02-2011 at 03:03 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
BlueSkies14 (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

mscat is right along the lines I was thinking. While SS can't access my credit card records, if someone gets SSDI or SSI via a "benefit card" then it can indeed trace where and when funds were removed. And lets say you plan well and only take your own credit cards which no one can ever check, BUT while gone you become ill or injured. All of the sudden the next review they see a prescription for antibiotics being filled at Walgreens in the Florida Keys but you live in Pennsylvania. Or you come back and give your doctor the report of your broken ankle that occurred in Spain becuase your doctor wants to see the x-rays and treatment report. Now it's part of your medical record. When SS or LTD (etc) ask a doctor's office for medical records all too often it's just a clerk printing out everything from the dates requested. So the clerk doesn't know not to print out the cruise ship's report of injury and/or Xray report from a hospital in Canada when you live in the US. So, there is much to think about.

Of course if you have a family emergency, funeral, etc there will be times when we all must travel. But that's easily explainable as an infrequent emergency/funeral travel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (09-02-2011), jgrangran (09-02-2011), pme (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

In theory Spine, you are absolutely correct. You are so technical and I love you. Let me ask you something tho on a personal level. Just because we are all considered disabled, don't you think we all have a right to try and enjoy our lives as much as we possibly can? Most of us lead very restrictive lives and deal with chronic pain on a daily basis. I realize that certain personal behaviors can put both SSDI and LTD in jeopardy and for most of us, once we accept LTD and or SSDI, there is no turning back the clock. The majority of us will stay on LTD/SSDI to the end of max benefit duration or at least try so we must be mindful to protect these benefits. I don't personally travel much but I would love to go somewhere that I have never been even with my panic/anxiety when I do manage to have a decent week or two.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

San Antonio texas is a great place to visit

Closed Thread