It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
(female)

ssi sucks HB User
what i have learned during this process

After two years I finally got my fully favorable from the judge you think i would be happy it has actully caused more stress on me i guess i get ssi and ssd and have to have a payee what is stress me is that i qualify for both and have to account for everything when the money is spent for the ssi part so i m deciding do i take both or my ssd a decision i will have to wait to find out that i need to make i have asked my lawer and ssi and neither can explin it very well .i have not recieved anything yet they are still calculating.

what you don't know while waiting - also I got state disabilty for a year and recieved aid while waiting and i think both need to be payed back which im fine with out of my back pay which. with the ssi part for me the back pay will be in increments of 2000 yipee i need my teeth and my son needs dentel work so i have to ask these a holes permission for my money to use it if I need more thats the part about the ssi i dont like this is why i want to tell them no and just get my ssd

a question asked by the judge i find really stupid which ive seen other people say they were asked also do i have a dog? now why in beep does that matter
i said no my son has a dog and a cat than the judge wanted to know what kind of dog? and i told her now. now see what she does not know is my child suffers from panic and anxiety and is a only child and his doctor recommended him having a dog on paper to help him feel more comfortable.but I felt that was none of the judges buissness. they really ask stupid questions and see what your answers are this whole process is screwy and if you are just starting your journey all i can say is good luck stay strong cause you're gonna need it

also i was hoping when i got my decision some how i would somewhat feel better about the worry and wondering part would go away but no still crappy and more worried. just wanted to say thanks to this board it has helped me by reading some nights when i cant sleep to help me in my and others journey through hell with ss

The following user gives a hug of support to ssi sucks:
jgrangran (09-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: what i have learned during this process

ssi sucks, My brother in law is on ssi and he doesn't have to tell anyone what he spends it on. I'm confused but maybe its because you have a payee. And can your son get something off your ssdi, I really understand about a puppy helping it does help a lot. I think maybe the judge was asking was to try to say if you have a dog then you are able to take care of something who knows but I have heard they do ask that question often but I don't know why. Hang in there at least that not know part is over for you. I would use both ssdi and ssi on ssdi you can use it whatever you want to use it for. Really my brotherin law is under no stress about his ssi he got medicaid right off and didn't have to wait the 2 yr. waiting period for medicare he got medicaid and has already started getting much need medical attention. I would somehow try to look at it like Yea the waiting is over you got it. You know a lot of people are waiting and waiting for an approval and get a denial so I would be so happy with an approval be it ssi or ssdi are ssi with a payee at least it is something. Hang in there things will get better it is already looking up for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

I was also asked at my initial interview and at my hearing if I had a dog. When I said no, they asked me if I cared for any animals. I guess it is just part of the process.

The ironic part is ... I have had dogs all my life. A couple of months before my back injury, my elderly dog died - so I had no pets when I became disabled.

Maybe they figure that if you can take care of a pet, you can work in a kennel or a pet store?

The following user gives a hug of support to gayle428:
jgrangran (09-04-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle4102 View Post

Maybe they figure that if you can take care of a pet, you can work in a kennel or a pet store?
LMAO @ Gayle

Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

HUmm I am curioius as to why the judge would ask about a dog? We have 2 service dogs... one for son one for me. that means I should work in a kennel? that is an odd question.
SSIsucks, congradulations on your approval. Since you are in CA on SSI you automatically get Medi-Cal and your able to go to a dentist on that. So that is a good thing. How long did it take to be approved? On SSDI your son will get half your income too , as long as he is younger then 18.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
jgrangran (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #6
(female)

MagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB User

I think they ask people about having dogs,because they want to use this info against people. To some how prove you can walk a dog and care for one, then you're not disabled. This is 100% not true in my opinion. Many sick or disabled people care for dogs or cats, and if they did not have this in their life it would be empty. Dogs give many people a reason to get up and out of bed,even when you other wise would not if this makes sense. I am not for not being truthful,but I don't recommend anyone telling a judge or SS they have any animals. Because it's just used agaisnt u! And I'm guessing they ask about the breed to some how prove if the dog is a pedigree then this some how means you are have money some place. I would have never believe this a few years ago, before learning what I have about the SS. But I believe this now,it's the only sense it makes to ask such a question.

The following user gives a hug of support to MagicPotion:
jgrangran (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #7
(female)

ssi sucks HB User

medical in California is no good for dental you can only see the dentist if your in pain and it took two years and 1 month as far as the pets go i dont know i think they figure if you have animals some how that don't make you disabled i have seen others say they were denied and they list having a animal as one of the reasons for denial like you example you take your dog to the park or you feed them really stupid if you ask me that has nothing to do with anybody being disabled my son is older and takes care of the animals they are his

and about my earlier post im not sure how this whole thing works yet i havent seen any numbers yet its really confusing and stressing me out so if someone is on both ssd and ssi could you let me know after received it how it works i know if i go over a certain amount they cut the ssi thats easy but as far as spending and the whole back pay thing as i understand it since the ssi part is income based they cant give you all your backpay at once only so much every 6 months thats what i get out of everything i read although i have not recieved anything to tell me different yet

jgrangran (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #8
(female)

ssi sucks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi sucks View Post
medical in California is no good for dental you can only see the dentist if your in pain and it took two years and 1 month as far as the pets go i dont know i think they figure if you have animals some how that don't make you disabled i have seen others say they were denied and they list having a animal as one of the reasons for denial like you example you take your dog to the park or you feed them really stupid if you ask me that has nothing to do with anybody being disabled my son is older and takes care of the animals they are his

and about my earlier post im not sure how this whole thing works yet i havent seen any numbers yet its really confusing and stressing me out so if someone is on both ssd and ssi could you let me know after received it how it works i know if i go over a certain amount they cut the ssi thats easy but as far as spending and the whole back pay thing as i understand it since the ssi part is income based they cant give you all your backpay at once only so much every 6 months thats what i get out of everything i read although i have not recieved anything to tell me different yet
also i would love to tell you all my dates and but my memory and patience is not that good i started in 2009 and have denied all the till i got my hearing at the alj and i am different from most i actually spent my whole life trying to prove to everyone i wasn't disabled even though I was and am i tried very hard not to let that stop me instead of starting my life on out on disability i would come home crying in in pain till it just got to the point i could not do it any more and i never knew what there doctors put in my file till I got my decision letter and they agreed with me that i was disabled i know i was denied at the beginning because i didn't have any medical well enough medical records and I do now and

jgrangran (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 04:45 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Congrats on the win SSI sucks. I know the whole process is very frustrating. What is the cause of your disability?

Old 09-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Blueskies14, did you get my pm ?ssi sucks, are you feeling some better I things start getting better for you again hang in there

Last edited by jgrangran; 09-04-2011 at 05:03 AM.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

So going back to the pets/dog ownership thing....

Am I reading (between the lines) correctly..
If you have dogs you will be denied?

I have dogs.. Atty hasn't said asked or mentioned it.

I also have a fenced in yard. Did that eons ago, and
thankful I did, coz I sure couldn't walk them now.

So what is the verdict.. we can/will be denied if
we have dogs? Coz I know I can get the proper paper
work for them to be a 'working' dog.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jacki345:
jgrangran (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know if you can get the working dog paper work with out much difficulltiy I would do that just in case. Who knows it is not so black in white there is no rhyme are reason I have been keeping you in my prayer you get approved. Hope everything is going okay with you try to enjoy the holiday

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
Jacki345 (09-08-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
You know if you can get the working dog paper work with out much difficulltiy I would do that just in case. Who knows it is not so black in white there is no rhyme are reason I have been keeping you in my prayer you get approved. Hope everything is going okay with you try to enjoy the holiday
Thanks jgangran..I need all the prayers I can get
I missed you while you were gone. I did some asking around to be sure you hadn't fallin too ill to pop in to say hello and lend a kind word as you always do.

I think I will do that paperwork. Honestly, as I understand, this kind of paperwork is not such a deal at all. In fact, if my info is correct, you can even get it so that you can take your dog to work or have pets in a no pets allowed community!

A friend of mine was going to do hers for work but one of her co-workers is so afraid of any kind of dog she decided not to. I just saw on TV/TMZ Coco & Ice T bring their dog on an airplane. He had to weigh about 40lbs, but he had a working dog jacket on and was allowed on. Neither of them are 'disabled' as far as I know.. well, not physically anyway, or TMZ would have reported it. I understand why they did it-I would too -- you never want to fly your pets in the underbelly (with the luggage) coz it is very unhealthy and they can die down there.

Have a restful holiday.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was gone to NC and my daughter was funny about me using her computer saying it might pick up a virus so I was limited on it. Then when I got back I got a bad case of vertogo they call it BPv are something like that. then I had a lot personal things happen like my sister moved in and am having my granddaughter full time with the help of my sister so lots of drama going on. but so far it has worked out for the best sometimes things happen and we are not sure why but then everything has a reason behind it sometimes we never know the reason okay enought of that. I know you have a waiting game now but maybe if you get a project going it will pass the time more quicker. please keep in touch.

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
Jacki345 (09-08-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
I was gone to NC and my daughter was funny about me using her computer saying it might pick up a virus so I was limited on it. Then when I got back I got a bad case of vertogo they call it BPv are something like that. then I had a lot personal things happen like my sister moved in and am having my granddaughter full time with the help of my sister so lots of drama going on. but so far it has worked out for the best sometimes things happen and we are not sure why but then everything has a reason behind it sometimes we never know the reason okay enought of that. I know you have a waiting game now but maybe if you get a project going it will pass the time more quicker. please keep in touch.
Yes, I will start searching out the legit service dog sites. In my short search so far, there are some fraud sites taking your money (on an upwards of $300+ for the 'kit') for no reason. I'll have to call my friend to see what site she used. It might have been via the ADA.

Closed Thread