It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Unoffical Approval

I have been so anxious about my son's SSI. The last time I called DDS and the worker told me to wait until the 17th of this month . I called DDS today and the worker is gone until the 21 . So I decided to call the 1-800 number and see if a decision was made. i know that it is the beggining of the month and on a Tuesday , but i just had to know. The worker put me on hold for several minutes and came back telling me he was approved on the 2nd of this month! And it is at the payment center to be processed. I hope he will get his full amount . This is a huge relief ! Since my son was taken off my SSDI we had a big drop of income this month , with all the bills being the same amount it really has put a strain on the budget this month. We only have $200 left for the whole month. I hope the social security rep was right and gave me correct information. I am thinking a letter in the mail should be coming very soon . I apllied on behalf of my son at the end of April , so if he gets his first check in October it will be on the 6th month mark. Now we just have to wait for the official approval letter.

The following 5 users give hugs of support to: mscat40
Jacki345 (09-07-2011), jgrangran (09-06-2011), MagicPotion (09-07-2011), pme (09-06-2011), sunni123 (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Unoffical Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
I have been so anxious about my son's SSI. The last time I called DDS and the worker told me to wait until the 17th of this month . I called DDS today and the worker is gone until the 21 . So I decided to call the 1-800 number and see if a decision was made. i know that it is the beggining of the month and on a Tuesday , but i just had to know. The worker put me on hold for several minutes and came back telling me he was approved on the 2nd of this month! And it is at the payment center to be processed. I hope he will get his full amount . This is a huge relief ! Since my son was taken off my SSDI we had a big drop of income this month , with all the bills being the same amount it really has put a strain on the budget this month. We only have $200 left for the whole month. I hope the social security rep was right and gave me correct information. I am thinking a letter in the mail should be coming very soon . I apllied on behalf of my son at the end of April , so if he gets his first check in October it will be on the 6th month mark. Now we just have to wait for the official approval letter.
That is great news Mscat. I hope everything turns out ok as anticipated. Please keep us updated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User

I am SO happy to hear that!!! I'm so glad you were spared going through the appeals process! Breathe a sigh of relief

The Following User Says Thank You to pme For This Useful Post:
mscat40 (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

YEA See everything will be just fine. I know they would not of told you that if it wasn't for sure because they don't do that. Thank God. I am so happy for you. Yea'''''''''

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
mscat40 (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I ended up calling them back a few hours later , I wanted to know what he was going to be paid . Caculations have not been done yet, and I made sure my son was approved again. ANd yes he is. I really was not sure what was going to happen because i had to take him to a CE on the 17 of September . I have heard that if some of the SSI income is to help pay for rent costs they will give the full SSI amount. Otherwise it will be much lower only 607.00 instead of the 830.00. He will help with rent and food costs , I just need to let social security know. I was relieved that he got it so quickly , yet I was sad at the same time. Because he is recognized as disabled and always been , it still hurts. I guess that is the parent in me. Most of us work so hard for a approval and will eventually get one, but the implications are the same. None of us choose this life , if I could have it differently my son would be whole , and I would still be teaching. getting a approval only solidifies the fact that your disabled and cannot support yourself . that is the bummer about social security. However, it is good we have it at the same time.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
Jacki345 (09-08-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
(female)

MagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB User

Hi,
Good news for you and your son. It really touched my heart reading what you said about your son. It's a wonderful thing how you have been there for him. I wish you guys the best,and hope he get's the full amount. I'm waiting to hear something hopefully soon!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: MagicPotion
jgrangran (09-07-2011), mscat40 (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 AM   #7
(female)

nicki447 HB Usernicki447 HB Usernicki447 HB Usernicki447 HB Usernicki447 HB Usernicki447 HB User

I understand the double-edged sword MsCat. Still glad you didn't have to fight and wait any longer. Hugs.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: nicki447
jgrangran (09-07-2011), mscat40 (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

mscat, I certainly understand you do feel its a double edge sword just like wishi said. I'm glad to hear that he might get 801.00 In Texas you just get 760.00 something and thats all oh you get food stamps and medicaid right off with ssi. It also warms my heart to know that your there for your son. sadly others don't have such a great loving mom.Please keep us posted. and please try to get some much needed rest from that ssa stuff.

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
mscat40 (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 04:46 AM   #9
(female)

sickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB User

that is absolutely wonderful news...congratulations!

The Following User Says Thank You to sickandtired99 For This Useful Post:
mscat40 (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
I ended up calling them back a few hours later , I wanted to know what he was going to be paid . Caculations have not been done yet, and I made sure my son was approved again. ANd yes he is. I really was not sure what was going to happen because i had to take him to a CE on the 17 of September . I have heard that if some of the SSI income is to help pay for rent costs they will give the full SSI amount. Otherwise it will be much lower only 607.00 instead of the 830.00. He will help with rent and food costs , I just need to let social security know. I was relieved that he got it so quickly , yet I was sad at the same time. Because he is recognized as disabled and always been , it still hurts. I guess that is the parent in me. Most of us work so hard for a approval and will eventually get one, but the implications are the same. None of us choose this life , if I could have it differently my son would be whole , and I would still be teaching. getting a approval only solidifies the fact that your disabled and cannot support yourself . that is the bummer about social security. However, it is good we have it at the same time.
Nicely said Mscat and I agree. Even as little as 10 years ago, I never could have imagined myself in my current situation. I figured that I would just always be able to struggle with my chronic medical condition and work until I reached at least age 62 but it did not turn out like that. Altho SSDI and LTD can both be a real PITA, I am glad both of these options were available to me at a time in my life that I need them the most.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #11
(female)

edrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB Useredrivera61 HB User

congrats mscat glad you got good news

The Following User Says Thank You to edrivera61 For This Useful Post:
mscat40 (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Congrats mscat!! I am happy for you and your son.. Good news in here is such a delightful thing. Now you can relax a little.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jacki345 For This Useful Post:
mscat40 (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
(female)

Thanks guys! I am glad this is over with. It made my day yesterday. I was surprised at the "verdict" and was ready for a fight. but did not have to. i feel badly for those that have to fight for their disability becasue it is just not right at all . i've heard horrorr stories about this process but for my son and I it went realitively smoothly. I think I will need to take my son to the Social Security Office to find out what he will get amonth, and think that they will mail us a appointment. Good docuementation is the key to winning a claim. that is the only reason why we won. I think that getting my son his benefits has made an impact on me. I will have him in Voc Rehab after he fininshes this program . Cause I still think he can be taught to do stuff. At hime I have to tell him to do everything but he can do it. Even though he has been disabled all his life I am going to push him . I do not want him to use disability as a crutch. I think I can gethim to do struff, just might not be a Substaniel amount. I hope that everybody will be approved soon. Cause the waiting time is the worst.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: mscat40
Jacki345 (09-08-2011), pme (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User

Quote:
Thanks guys! I am glad this is over with. It made my day yesterday. I was surprised at the "verdict" and was ready for a fight. but did not have to. i feel badly for those that have to fight for their disability becasue it is just not right at all . i've heard horrorr stories about this process but for my son and I it went realitively smoothly. I think I will need to take my son to the Social Security Office to find out what he will get amonth, and think that they will mail us a appointment. Good docuementation is the key to winning a claim. that is the only reason why we won. I think that getting my son his benefits has made an impact on me. I will have him in Voc Rehab after he fininshes this program . Cause I still think he can be taught to do stuff. At hime I have to tell him to do everything but he can do it. Even though he has been disabled all his life I am going to push him . I do not want him to use disability as a crutch. I think I can gethim to do struff, just might not be a Substaniel amount. I hope that everybody will be approved soon. Cause the waiting time is the worst.
Just wanted to say..I think you sound like a great mom

The following user gives a hug of support to pme:
mscat40 (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mscat40, My sister in law adopted a son that had c/p and mentaly retarted I know thats not the word you use these day but I cant't think of the right word my apolize please anyway she get paid to keep him she has to keep records of what he eats and things like that she adopted him at birth and didn't know of his disabilities until the was 6 months old they feel in love with him even thou they were able to take him back they choose not to but my point is she gets extra pay to take care of him instead of putting him in a home. they are getting up in age and so is he I wonder if you could get into that same program. Its just a thought.

Closed Thread