It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

Dogcrazie3 HB UserDogcrazie3 HB User
Attorney Question

Good Morning,

I havent posted in a while because nothing is new on my case but I am here everyday reading your posts and learning ALOT.
I am in Canada so I know the rules are a bit different elsewhere, but I know you can relate to my question. I hired an attny after my first denial, it is now at the reconsideration level. Here in Canada we only get back pay of 15 months maximum whether it takes years to get approved does not matter. Minus the 4 month waiting period = 11 months total backpay. When I went for my first consult with the Disability Lawyer she said it could take up to a year to be approved. My question is , do you think the lawyers dont try so hard at the reconsideration level so it will go to the courts and draw out the time frame so they will get the maximum amount of their 30 % fee for the 11 months ? On the plus side they did say I had a good case, otherwise I dont any lawyer would take your case ? Any comments or advice on this question would be greatly appreciated. Hoping for everyones approval.

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Attorney Question

Here in the States a lot of Attorney's will not take a social security case until it has been denied twice. Some U.S states have eliminated the reconsideration level, so I think someone can get one after the first deniel. That is a good question though, I hope that they do not do this on purpose just to get the max. amount. In Canada is their a Cap on how much a Lawyer can make?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
(female)

Dogcrazie3 HB UserDogcrazie3 HB User
Re: Attorney Question

Well I quess there is a cap if a disability claiment can only get back pay for maximum of 15 months minus the 4 month waiting period, which is 11 months. If the approval takes longer then that the lawyer will still only get 30 percent of whatever my back pay amount is for the 11 months. Some may charge less or more percentage, but thats how they work their fees here in Canada. Thats why I was wondering if maybe they delay giving good proof of the disability until after being denied at the reconsideration level , so they can prolonged the approval in order to get the full 11 months backpay because thats how they make their money. If they won the approval in say 4 months the lawyer will only gey 30 percent of 7 months backpay which is not much. I was just curious if others on this board ever thought about this. Or to get other opinions on my thoughts. Sorry the reason it would be 7 months backpay is because I applied in Feb 2011. Hope I havent confused you lol

Thanks for listening
Kim

Last edited by Dogcrazie3; 09-08-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: change a sentence

Closed Thread