It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
(female)

u164883 HB User
I've only been at my job for 5 months. Can I take a medical leave without losing it?

I started work at a new employer May 17, 2011. Since then, I had a tubal ligation and attempted D&C for heavy menstrual bleeding. I took one day off for this surgery, so not a problem for my employer. During the D&C, my surgeon noticed some abnormalities with my uterus. She barely touched my uterus with her instrument and said her instrument went right through like a knife in room temperature butter. That is not right.

I bled for about a week after the surgery. I have not had a period since then. No spotting, no anything. I am, however, extremely crampy and feeling a lot of pressure in my pelvic area. The same surgeon has run some tests and has suggested a hysterectomy. I have a consultation appointment with her in 2 weeks.

Now, the doctor has assured me that this is not cancer-related or otherwise life threatening. It is no emergency. My question is, if I take several weeks off for the surgery, can my job fire me or lay me off? After a mass layoff, a long period of unemployment, and 2 miserable temp jobs, I am finally in a company that I enjoy working for, and would be sad to lose that.

I know I do not qualify for FMLA, as I have not been there for 12 months. Is there ANY kind of protection for me - or is this just left up to the discretion of my employer?

Thanks for any advice. Oh yeah, I live in California. Might make a difference in the answer, I suppose.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: I've only been at my job for 5 months. Can I take a medical leave without losing

I would try to stick it out if you can. How is your insurance ? I wish I knew more I know others will respond just keep checking from time to time.

Last edited by jgrangran; 09-16-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: I've only been at my job for 5 months. Can I take a medical leave without losing

If you do not qualify for FMLA your employer does not have to save your job.

I would try to stick it out until you are covered.

Pup

Closed Thread