It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
(female)

NanaMonster HB User
Received disability award letter by mistake???

Has anyone ever received an award letter by mistake? I received the letter stating when my monthly benefits will start, along with onset date for back pay etc. I also received a separate letter to set up my account on their website. This all happened before I went to my mental exam! Talked to my case worker at DDS and she said it was a mistake because she was still working on my case and needed the doctor's report from my exam. She doesn't know why I got the award letter. Has this ever happened to anyone??? My stomach is in a knot over this.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Received disability award letter by mistake???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaMonster View Post
Has anyone ever received an award letter by mistake? I received the letter stating when my monthly benefits will start, along with onset date for back pay etc. I also received a separate letter to set up my account on their website. This all happened before I went to my mental exam! Talked to my case worker at DDS and she said it was a mistake because she was still working on my case and needed the doctor's report from my exam. She doesn't know why I got the award letter. Has this ever happened to anyone??? My stomach is in a knot over this.
That is a new one NanaMonster. Talk about getting your hopes up. Hopefully,the next one will be for real and real soon. Hang in there. SS is slow and they do make errors frequently.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
NanaMonster (09-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I am so sorry that happen to you, But I wonder if you already have enough evdience to support your claim and thats why they jump the gun so to speak. But maybe they need that DR. there sending you to just to have his signuture to close the case from what I read on this board sometimes the DR. they send you to doesn't really spend that much time anyway so maybe you can tell that DR. they approved you based on the evdience they have on hand but they sent you here. I don't wont to give you wrong advice but I would keep checking on this board maybe someone else with better knowledge has more input. Oh hope for the best and maybe everything will turn out good for you it sounds like they already approved you and just need the DR. to sign. Please keep us posted please we all care and are wishing the best and its an approval.

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
NanaMonster (10-03-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
NanaMonster (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

...but She said the case worker at SSA DDS told her this was a mistake.

NanaMonster>>>How long after initial application before this happened?

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 09-28-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Oh wow, what a terrible thing to happen! My stomach would be in knots too.

Do you have an attorney? If you do, maybe they can sort things out.

I have read about cases where the person was approved before they went to their exam, so that part does not surprise me. Sometimes a supervisor will go ahead and approve someone.

When you find out, please come back and let us know what happened. I have never heard of this happening before. Hopefully, your case worker made a mistake, and you have been approved.

P.S. I would put that award letter in a very safe place.

The Following User Says Thank You to gayle428 For This Useful Post:
NanaMonster (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
(female)

NanaMonster HB User

Thank you all for responding. I don't have an attorney. I filed online the end of May and it was sent to QR in August. The first week of Sept. I was told I had an appt. for the mental exam on Sept.21. Two days before the exam I received my password for SS website and my online status showed "approved". The next day I received my official award letter with date I would receive my first payment and my onset date for back pay. The next day I went to my mental exam, came home...checked my online status again and it changed from "approved" to "a decision has been made on your claim". I couldn't get a hold of the DDS lady, so I called the national number and local office and they both said I'm approved...account is set up. I finally got a hold of DDS worker and she told me there is no way a decision has been made because she is still working on my case! How could this possibly happen?
Gayle...on the cases you said were approved before the exam, were any of these cases denied after the exam? This is just crazy!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
(female)

sydneysmommy HB User

Quote:
Thank you all for responding. I don't have an attorney. I filed online the end of May and it was sent to QR in August. The first week of Sept. I was told I had an appt. for the mental exam on Sept.21. Two days before the exam I received my password for SS website and my online status showed "approved". The next day I received my official award letter with date I would receive my first payment and my onset date for back pay. The next day I went to my mental exam, came home...checked my online status again and it changed from "approved" to "a decision has been made on your claim". I couldn't get a hold of the DDS lady, so I called the national number and local office and they both said I'm approved...account is set up. I finally got a hold of DDS worker and she told me there is no way a decision has been made because she is still working on my case! How could this possibly happen?
Gayle...on the cases you said were approved before the exam, were any of these cases denied after the exam? This is just crazy!

How do you check your online status? I saw it needed a confirmation number.. where did you find it?? thanks

Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Quote:
What happened in the ones I know about is: An appointment was made for the exam. A day or two before the exam, they would be notified that the appointment was cancelled, because they have been approved.

I really, really hope this is all a silly mix-up, and you have been approved!

The following user gives a hug of support to gayle428:
NanaMonster (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
(female)

NanaMonster HB User

Sydneysmommy....I applied online and I received an application#. There is a place on the home page of www.socialsecurity.gov to check your disability status. It requires the app# along with your SS# in order to check. If you didn't apply online, I'm not sure where you would get your app#. Good Luck!

Gayle... I finally got some answers from my local office. They said it had been approved before going to QR and someone jumped the gun setting up my benefits. QR sent it back to DDS needing more info. and that's when they set up my exam. I talked again with DDS and I was told they have the report from my exam now and a decision will be made in a week or two. The local office told me I would be receiving a check in Oct., but not to cash it until I get a final decision. Ugh! This is sooooo stressful!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

It is very unlikely the favorable decision will be overturned by the QR from what I have seen here and elsewhere. Congrats on the quick approval. May I ask how old are you and what is the cause of your disability?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I was told twice that my son was approved by two different social security reps on the second. Then I called back and was told a decision was made on the 12th and she would not tell me what the decision was. I called the social security office a later time and she would not tell me what the decision was and confirmed it was done on the 12th , and to leave a message to a different lady at the S.S office. I finally got a hold of the S.S lady a wekk later and found out she was out of the office for two weeks. This lady told me my son is approved and started going over personal information with me, then told me to come in the office on Thursday this week.
I did not get a approval letter Yet. When I was going through the process for me my claim was sent to QR after a approval. I was told the decision could be ovcerturned , but it did not, it just delayed the claim anther few months.
I did have to take my son to a CE , and then all this happened. I learned not to trust what the 1-800 number reps tell you , because the information is not correct, or it is outdated.
With your claim , I think their is a high probabilty you have been approved and the claim just has to finish the process. I think this is what happens when too many people are working on the same claim and the chain of events breaks down. You were smart calling your DDS worker. The DDS worker makes the initial decision and would know what is going on . It is a matter of time you will know correctly if your claim is officially approved without any mistakes from social security.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: mscat40
jgrangran (09-29-2011), NanaMonster (09-28-2011), NElady (10-01-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
NanaMonster (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
(female)

NanaMonster HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
It is very unlikely the favorable decision will be overturned by the QR from what I have seen here and elsewhere. Congrats on the quick approval. May I ask how old are you and what is the cause of your disability?
BlueSkies I sure hope you're right. I'm so tired of playing the waiting game and never really knowing exactly who's doing what at the SSA. I appreciate the congrats, however I just will not feel this is settled until I get a final approval from a reliable source. Now I have to sit back and wait for them to mail Oct.'s payment to me and not cash it until I hear something more official than the first official letter I received. Ugh! I'm 50 yrs old Blue and have major depression and anxiety. I filed online, no attorney.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
(female)

NanaMonster HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
I sure hope you're right BlueSkies! I'm 50 and have major depression/anxiety/sleeping problems

Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
(female)

NanaMonster HB User

MSCAT.....Thank you for your positive words.... I do hope you're right. I just hope now since DDS has the CE exam report in there hands, that it will all run smoothly and I'll get an answer soon! Thanks again!

Last edited by NanaMonster; 09-28-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
MSCAT.....Thank you for your positive words.... I do hope you're right. I just hope now since DDS has the CE exam report in there hands, that it will all run smoothly and I'll get an answer soon! Thanks again!
My sons approval letter came today after responding to you. He is eligble for adult child's benefits and SSI. The SSI is still being worked on and the other he is suppose to get money Oct 3.
I would give it a couple weeks and call your DDS worker , ask if their was a decision made on your claim . Your worker may tell you their is a decision but will not tell you what it is . If this happens wait anther week or two and then call your local S.S. office , or go down there yourself and find out. I have learned that if your claim goes back to the field office (local S.S office) that means it was approved, because the S.S reps figure out payment amounts before it goes to the payment center. If the claim is denied at the initial stage or the reconsideration stage the claim stays at the DDS office and waits for an Appeal for a certain amount of time>
This information is how it would normally work on a claim. Since your DDS worker said she was working on your case I thought I let you know . Someone REALLY made a huge mistake on your claim. I would be ****** off .

Last edited by mscat40; 09-28-2011 at 11:52 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
NanaMonster (09-29-2011)
Closed Thread