It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
(female)

lepoof HB User
SSI approval SSDI question

I lost my job due to my diagnosis of Bipolar disorder/PTSD/Agoraphobia. When it became apparent to me I would not be able to just take "some time" off from working and seek work again I started my disability process. I've gone through all the paper work on my own, seen the family and physician questionnaires, and appealed a first level denial.

I spoke with the local SSA office on Monday and they advised me my application for SSI was approved. Considering all the other struggles I've had this surprised me as I didn't have a SSA medical eval (though I go to therapy weekly and am under medication management monthly on top of 2 hospitalizations), and I didn't have a lawyer. The representative told me to come in office to go over the details, and due to my condition they found me incompetent to handle my finances responsibly so my father who I live with will be with me as the representative. He has personally taken care of me since my job loss paying COBRA premiums, and personal as well as medical bills. I have no assets.

I haven't been able to find much detail online about if SSI approval necessarily means SSDI qualifying. I have read a lot about work credits.

I'd assume I had over 24 credits from my job alone (my only prior job I was at for a year and a half starting at age 18 -I'm currently 28)? The only extended employment lapse was after my last job termination. I can ask more about this on my SSA visit Friday but I'm curious with others experience if this seems favorable to possibly get duel fund assistance.

I appreciate any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User
Re: SSI approval SSDI question

Hi lepoof. I don't see why you couldn't ask. I don't know much about this, but there will be other member who will advise you better. They know the system very well. So hang in there, they'll write you shortly. Good luck and take care

Old 09-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: SSI approval SSDI question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoof View Post
I lost my job due to my diagnosis of Bipolar disorder/PTSD/Agoraphobia. When it became apparent to me I would not be able to just take "some time" off from working and seek work again I started my disability process. I've gone through all the paper work on my own, seen the family and physician questionnaires, and appealed a first level denial.

I spoke with the local SSA office on Monday and they advised me my application for SSI was approved. Considering all the other struggles I've had this surprised me as I didn't have a SSA medical eval (though I go to therapy weekly and am under medication management monthly on top of 2 hospitalizations), and I didn't have a lawyer. The representative told me to come in office to go over the details, and due to my condition they found me incompetent to handle my finances responsibly so my father who I live with will be with me as the representative. He has personally taken care of me since my job loss paying COBRA premiums, and personal as well as medical bills. I have no assets.

I haven't been able to find much detail online about if SSI approval necessarily means SSDI qualifying. I have read a lot about work credits.

I'd assume I had over 24 credits from my job alone (my only prior job I was at for a year and a half starting at age 18 -I'm currently 28)? The only extended employment lapse was after my last job termination. I can ask more about this on my SSA visit Friday but I'm curious with others experience if this seems favorable to possibly get duel fund assistance.

I appreciate any help!
Hi there and welcome to the boards,
It is possible to get both SSDI and SSI. If you have enough work credits you will be able to have SSDI , and if SSDI payment is low enough you will get the rest of it in SSI money. When a person applies for social security it is for both programs. When the person is approved their claim goes back to the local field office where a social security represenative puts together payments , and then your claim goes to the payment center for processing. Usually their are different S.S people working on SSI and SSDI claims . Right now the SSI rep is going over your claim and finishing it , that is what your appointment is for . They will see if you have enough work credits and if you do they will caculate your benefits for both programs . You meet the income requirements right now . If your SSDI reward is more then a SSI payment and is substantiel you would get SSDI only. If you are awarded SSDI only you would get Medicare in two years. if you are awarded for both programs you would get Medicade and wait 2 years for medicare . Your father will be your representative payee . Congradulations on your approval

Closed Thread