It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
(female)

bamakathy HB User
What do u think about my chances?

I filed for ssdi on sep 23. Two days later a case worker called to verify marriage info, jobs held, how I chose disability date, as I have been out of meaningful work much longer. She asked if this was my first time I had applied, and if I had an attorney. Yes and no. Then she sent me forms in the mail about what we talked about and forwarded my case onto the next offc. On the 28th that caseworker in the new office called, and verified doctors seen, jobs, age, etc. The next day I received a form asking for references from a family mem and friend. One form with work,work duties, and the adult fuction report. Returned those.
I have major depression to the point I neglect myself, rarely leave the house. I have an extensive history of medical records, over 15 yrs of reg visits to a psychiatrist, and longer than that with my reg dr. Two hospitalizations for major depression with suicidal ideation. Glaucoma, osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, Meinieres Disease with hearing loss. I do have a college degree. I am 55 yrs old. What are my chances for approval?

The following user gives a hug of support to bamakathy:
tinkerbell45 (10-02-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: What do u think about my chances?

I wish I could tell you what your chances are but no one knows but I would get a lawyer and increase your chances. This day and time it is very hard to get approved if you read this board you will find out there are people that have very dangerous condititon with there heart and have fought a long time and are still fighting for it . then there are other that get it right away they are just as disabled but you just really don't know with ssa. This board is a comfortable place to come people want to help you along as much as they can. they will offer advice just keep checking and Good luck to you I would strongly suggest you get a lawyer. Good luck to you and God Bless

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
bamakathy (10-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

Hi Tinkerbell45 here. I read your post and the first thing that jumped out at me is that you need a lawyer. Yes it's true that they do get some of "your" money it is SOOO much easier to let them fight for you. I have known people with less disabities than you decribe and the ones with the lawyer got theirs on the first go around with NO problem and then i have known people with far greater disabilities with no lawyer and they are still waiting. I filed on my own and was denied i got a lawyer and 2 months later i was approved. I don't know that the lawyer made the difference but in my mind he did. I have also heard it varies from state to state and which lawyer you use. I would most defineitly check from differnt sources and see if they know which lawyer is used more for filing disability than others thats what i did and like i said it seemed like no time i was approved. Good luck to you and if i can be of anymore help just let me know. Until next time TAKE CARE!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to tinkerbell45 For This Useful Post:
bamakathy (10-02-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Hi there , welcome to Health Boards ,
It looks like you took all the regular steps to filing , everything that needed to be done was completed . Now your claim will go to DDS, Disability Determination Services. they are the ones who will decide if your claim will be approved. Since you have plenty of medical docuementation and your age it should not take too long for them to make a decision. Most claims are denied at the first two stages, and have to go to the ALJ. Most claims ar ewon at this stage, but not all. A lot of claimants will seek out a attorney after the second deniel. But it is ok to do so earlier. A important thing is to never give up or start a new claim. Just try and keep going. Social security will see if you meet their definition of disability and you are not able to work any other job, plus your condition is severe and long lasting. It is true that some people can be approved easier then others , and they could have a lot more disabling conditions. I do think it depends on what state/county you live in and the judge you have to face. It is always a personal experience going through the process , and everybody will have something a little different going on. no two cases are alike.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
bamakathy (10-02-2011), tinkerbell45 (10-02-2011)
Closed Thread