It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

Liloleme37 HB User
STD/LTD Questions

I am new here and have been reading through the message board, lots of helpfull posts here. I am trying to find info , peace of mind what not regarding how Short term /long term works once you are terminated. My husband is 51 and had a interoperative stroke in July this year. He was on FMLA the 12 weeks and will be terminated tomorrow from his job of 17 yrs. He had the short term which he paid himself thru his job and they supplied Long term. He has been drawing the Short term and is approved thru Jan and the caseworker told me she was forwarding his case to long term last week. I have been mailing a check biweekly to continue his medical ins while he is off work, that covers the STD and LTD also in that payment. He was sent a letter saying if he didnt submit a full medical release my OCT 3rd he would be terminated in which he cant return to work, doctors say he probably wont ever return. I have applied for Soc Sec Disability already and doing the waiting game there. His HR dept will only speak with him not me and from what he is understanding is once termed if he does not take the Cobra to pay for the Short and Long term he will lose those also?? I thought these were insurances to cover you incase of disablilites like this? These are his only source of income right now which is remarkably less than his salary was but i am atleast meeting my bills right now. Does anyone know is this correct that we will lose these too if we dont do the cobra? I was going to deal with losing the medical coverage and add him on to mine for that but i am worried about the income being cut off now. Any input from previous experiences will be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User
Re: STD/LTD Questions

Usually with STD/LTD, as long as he was employed on the day he became disabled, he will be covered and should not have to pay premiums for STD/LTD as long as he remains disabled. This is if the benefits are not provided by the employer, but an outside company. I would speak with the STD/LTD company to be sure, but I used to process these types of claims, and premiums were waived once one became disabled. Good luck to you and your husband! I hope this at least eases your mind some!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
(female)

Liloleme37 HB User

Thanks, I guess i will be calling in the am to ask the caseworker.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
(female)

Liloleme37 HB User

Ugh i reread your reply, these were taken out through his employer but outside companies of course but OFFERED through his job? Am i reading right that since they are through his job then its different??

Old 10-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

Yes, definitely do that!! And who knows, you may have overpaid premiums if they weren't due, and may be due a refund!! I primarily worked with LTD claims, but in my approval letters, I always explained that premiums were waived once disabled.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liloleme37 View Post
Ugh i reread your reply, these were taken out through his employer but outside companies of course but OFFERED through his job? Am i reading right that since they are through his job then its different??
Yes, I understood what you meant. Sometimes there is no outside company involved, and the employer processes their own STD claims, and essentially acts as their own insurance company. In those instances, I would expect them to continue to bill the premiums. But if an outside company is administering the benefits (processing the claims), then there should (probably) be a waiver of premium involved. At least for LTD. Like I said, I'm more familiar with LTD, I did a very limited amount of STD. When does he switch to LTD? Some plans will waive LTD premiums as soon as disabled, and others only after elimination period has been met. Definitely speak with the caseworker, and ask about both the STD, and LTD, because they may be different, but I can almost guarantee the LTD premiums will be waived. It's called a "waiver of premium" just so you know when you call. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find out!!

Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402lady View Post
Yes, I understood what you meant. Sometimes there is no outside company involved, and the employer processes their own STD claims, and essentially acts as their own insurance company. In those instances, I would expect them to continue to bill the premiums. But if an outside company is administering the benefits (processing the claims), then there should (probably) be a waiver of premium involved. At least for LTD. Like I said, I'm more familiar with LTD, I did a very limited amount of STD. When does he switch to LTD? Some plans will waive LTD premiums as soon as disabled, and others only after elimination period has been met. Definitely speak with the caseworker, and ask about both the STD, and LTD, because they may be different, but I can almost guarantee the LTD premiums will be waived. It's called a "waiver of premium" just so you know when you call. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find out!!
402Lady is correct. I have been on group LTD for almost 2 years now. My LTD premiums are waived as long as I remain disabled. I am now being reviewed for transition from own to any occupation.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

I wish SpineAZ was posting regularly. She is the resident expert on this board. She is out temporarily. She just had a TKR (total knee replacement) and she is trying to recover and will probably resume posting in a few months after she starts to feel better. She worked in the LTD claims industry many years before becoming disabled herself. I can answer some general questions but I am by no means an expert. I am still learning new things as I go thru the process.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Liloleme37>>>How much is the COBRA premium? Most people can't afford it plus they also tack on a 2% admin. fee in addition to you paying the entire cost for continued coverage.

402lady>>>Are you on LTD while you wait on SSDI to be approved? You said you worked processing LTD claims? SpineAZ did the same thing for many years.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

I did not have to pay a premium for STD. It was administered inhouse by the company I worked for and they paid the entire cost. 402lady is correct>>>>until approved for LTD, you will have to pay the premiums to maintain coverage. After approval, the premiums are waived.

Question? How much is the LTD premium? How much is the STD premium? Most STD's are employer-paid.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
(female)

Liloleme37 HB User

Hi ...he is currently on STD and has been since July 8th. They said he was approved thru Jan 6th which would be the 26 weeks that he is allotted to draw on STD. We paid the premium for that out of his check biweekly while he worked ...it was an elective if the employee wanted to take it out....and the LTD was 100% paid by the employer. The short term only 13 bux every two weeks so we of course wanted it and am glad we did now. The lady from STD told me last week that she was sending his case over to long term since it appeared to her from dr that he would run into needing that. The LTD employer paid is about 4 dollars every two weeks. Today is the 3rd in which we were told he would be terminated and in speaking with his HR they said would send me papers giving us options on the cobra so not sure how much it will be ...sure it be unaffordable. They (HR) will only speak with my husband and he thinks he heard that if we wish to keep the STD and LTD that we have to take the cobra option which will cover that. Thats when i went to googling on the internet to find out if that was even legal. I thought the STD and LTD were for instances like ours. Instance being....my husband had a stroke on the left side during surgery in July, he has some aphasia and right side paralyzed ..getting better with therapy but still struggles to dress himself , eat or lift a glass with that hand. Anyhow....i called the STD caseworker today trying to clarify what HR said and she told me she dont think we lose the short term but I would have to discuss paying the premium with HR due to she wasnt sure. She thought the waiver thing mentioned on the other post should of been in effect too. Soooo who knows. I just dont want to lose the income waiting on SS ....i work myself but not enuff in this day and time to make ends meet with just my income. Just from reading thru the forum here and online i seen that depending on the wording in the contract of the STD and LTD i guess u can lose them which makes no sense to me on why u would pay for them it they dont stay in effect like any ins policy u take out. I should receive the letter on Cobra this week...i have rambled enuff ha maybe i learn more then or CRY one haha. So strange how in just a matter of minutes your whole life can be changed by something like this...you would think you could atleast have peace of mind knowing if you have these ins in place you wont have to struggle as much financially...its enuff of a struggle with all the issues with my husband never being the person physically or mentally before he went into surgery that morning. Can you tell i am a bit down on life right now :-) Thanks for your input...i will let u know what i find out in the mail later this week hopefully since his HR refuses to talk to me ...another thing that is mind boggling to me but i guess the harder they make things on you the better they have done their job. Sorry for the ramble :-)

Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
(female)

Liloleme37 HB User

Thanks again and i did call today....i wrote a big ole post down below ha Mostly me venting but details on what she said.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
(female)

Liloleme37 HB User

Well its OFFICIAL...got the call confirming the Termination! So here we go to see how this works

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Liloleme37
NElady (10-05-2011), pme (10-04-2011)
Closed Thread