It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

Dobie HB UserDobie HB UserDobie HB UserDobie HB UserDobie HB UserDobie HB User
Adult disability child back pay dedicated account questions

I was recently approved for SSDI on October 13th. I was told by SSA that I needed to set up a separate account for my child's back pay because the money needs to be spent on her. I got a little annoyed when they said this as if my daughter wants for anything. My question is what type of account would be suitable, a checking, savings? I, obviously would need to be able to pull funds from this account so I was thinking maybe a checking account. Does anyone have any information on this issue that would be helpful to me? They also told me that I would have to account for how I spend the money at the end of the year. What "types" of things can I use the money for that are acceptable. I can't believe I have to account for this money because I live for my daughter. She goes to private school and plays sports which are both expensive in and of itself. Thanks for your help!

P.S. Was told that the Judge was ready to make a decision on the amended back pay yesterday. Hopefully he will amend the date for the UWA - praying, that would make a nice difference.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Adult disability child back pay dedicated account questions

Hi Dobie,
Your question intrigued me so I asked my friend Jack who use to work for the SSA but retired after over 30 years of service. He runs a different forum and I go there sometimes to ask him questions. He is akin to SpineAZ on healthboards but he only answers questions abount SSDI and not LTD. SpineAZ is very knowledegable in both SSDI and LTD. Here is what I asked Jack FYI>>>>

I asked>>>(hypothetical question btw)
Quote:
Let's say you are on SSDI and have one child under 18. The child is eligible for 1/2 of your PIA (primary insurance amount). Here is my question?
Let's say your PIA is $1200 / month for example. Your 1 child is then
entitled to $600 / month. My question is must this $600.00 child's
benefit be spent entirely on the child and do you have to provide
proof to SS to show exactly how the money was spent? Or, is this only
true for SSI but not SSDI? Thanks in advance...
Now, Jack's reply>>>>>
Quote:
It's true for SSDI. The payee must fill-out an accountability report
annually.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0200602001

GN 00602.001 Use of Benefits
(...)
2. Proper Use of Benefits
A payee must use benefits to provide for the beneficiary's current
needs such as food, clothing, housing, medical care and personal
comfort items, or for reasonably foreseeable needs. If not needed for
these purposes or, in title II only, for the support of the
beneficiary's legally dependent spouse, child, and/or parent, the
payee must conserve or invest benefits on behalf of the beneficiary.
Personally, I would set up a checking account for the child since you will be making periodic withdrawals for purchases to provide for the child. I would also keep all receipts and note all expenditures in something like a microsoft excel spreadsheet and keep a backup copy on something like a USB flash drive. Then at the end of the year, you can simply print out an expenditure table report for the year showing the withdrawals and how the money was spent.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
Dobie (11-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

What does UWA stand for? I am unfamiliar with that acronym.

Dobie (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Hi Dobie,
Your question intrigued me so I asked my friend Jack who use to work for the SSA but retired after over 30 years of service. He runs a different forum and I go there sometimes to ask him questions. He is akin to SpineAZ on healthboards but he only answers questions abount SSDI and not LTD. SpineAZ is very knowledegable in both SSDI and LTD. Here is what I asked Jack FYI>>>>

I asked>>>(hypothetical question btw)

Now, Jack's reply>>>>>

Personally, I would set up a checking account for the child since you will be making periodic withdrawals for purchases to provide for the child. I would also keep all receipts and note all expenditures in something like a microsoft excel spreadsheet and keep a backup copy on something like a USB flash drive. Then at the end of the year, you can simply print out an expenditure table report for the year showing the withdrawals and how the money was spent.
Thanks BlueSkies - that was extremely helpful!!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Dobie,
The forms don't look too bad that you have to fill out. I know paperwork and trying to keep track of details can be a real PITA sometimes. I found one example of a representative payee report. You can usually complete these forms online and submit after you register online with SSA. Here is one example.

http://www.ssa.gov/payee/NewGuide/ssa-6234exhibitB.pdf

Dobie (11-20-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
What does UWA stand for? I am unfamiliar with that acronym.
"UWA" stands for Unsuccessful Work Attempt. I tried to go back to work after the second STD which lasted approx. 4 months. The rule is less than 6 months. (Look it up at this link: http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/2010/ssdi-and-ssi-employments-supports.htm#2). Princess9438 gave me this infofrmation which was awesome!!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
"UWA" stands for Unsuccessful Work Attempt. I tried to go back to work after the second STD which lasted approx. 4 months. The rule is less than 6 months. (Look it up at this link: http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/2010/ssdi-and-ssi-employments-supports.htm#2). Princess9438 gave me this infofrmation which was awesome!!
Thanks for the link Dobie. I fully understand now. I remember before I applied for SSDI and was trying to work and hold onto my job. I think I made 6 UWA's before finally giving up. All my UWA's were less than 3 weeks. I hope you are having a terrific day Dobie.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
(female)

Thanks and you're welcome!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

PS - They did not count my UWA's Dobie against my AOD (alledged onset of disability) date. Here is my example.

1. I became sick in July 2008.
2. I was on STD over a year due to unsuccessful UWA'a.
3. When Allsup submitted my initial application, they submitted my AOD as July 2008.
4. The initial application was not filed until Jan. 2010.
5. THE ALJ agreed with the AOD and did not count the UWA'a against me ( i was not able to work long enough) so I will receive over 2 years of backpay despite the UWA's.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 10-19-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
PS - They did not count my UWA's Dobie against my AOD (alledged onset of disability) date. Here is my example.

1. I became sick in July 2008.
2. I was on STD over a year due to unsuccessful UWA'a.
3. When Allsup submitted my initial application, they submitted my AOD as July 2008.
4. The initial application was not filed until Jan. 2010.
5. THE ALJ agreed with the AOD and did not count the UWA'a against me ( i was not able to work long enough) so I will receive over 2 years of backpay despite the UWA's.
That is really good to know and the second person to tell me the same thing. I wish the judge would have given it to me at the hearing instead of saying he "would take the amended date b/c of UWA under advisement". Yesterday the clerk called my lawyer and saaid that the judge was ready to make a decision on the amended onset date. Hoping to get my letter in a week or so.

Closed Thread