It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
(male)

bigblueh20 HB Userbigblueh20 HB User
Post ALJ Hearing - Questions...

Today i had my hearing before the ALJ. The hearing took approximately 15 mins. The judge asked me several off topic questions. He did not ask me many questions, maybe 1 or 2 about my health related condition. I have a cardiac condition for the past 10 years wth extensive medical documentation and support from my doctors. The condition is gradually getting worse which is fully supported by medical testing and evidence.

So for starters I was quite surprised that I did not have to answer many questions as to how my condition prevented me from doing any type of work. In addition I was suerprised that there was no one else present besides myself, my attorney the judge and a court stenographer (?)...No VE?

My lawyer said that everything went very well and that he thought I would be approved.

My questions now are...has anyone ever experienced a hearing like this? if so, was the decision favorable? and if it was favorable, how long did it take for you to be notified....How long should i expect to wait to hear the outcome? Thank you all very much for your support during the last 18 months. The information that I have obtained reading your posts have been beyond valuable...Thanks!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Post ALJ Hearing - Questions...

I can not really answer your specific question bigblueh20 since I was approved via an OTR decision so I did not have to physically appear in court before an ALJ. From the sound of what you just posted, I think you will be approved. The fact that there was no VE or ME present and the short interview before the ALJ I think is a very good sign. Here is a link you might be interested in that someone posted several weeks ago. I can't recall her screenname. This will show you the approval/denial rating of your particular ALJ.

http://www.ssa.gov/appeals/DataSets/03_ALJ_Disposition_Data.pdf

The ALJ who decided my case had a 80% SSDI approval rating. Out of the 201 claims she found favorable, 197 of those were fully favorable and 4 were partially favorable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

One reason for possible delays even when the ALJ tells you at the conclusion of your hearing that you are approved is
Quote:
if a judge decides to issue an approval, the notice of decision must still be written. Decision notices, however, are not written by judges but are written, instead, by decision writers (usually a staff attorney at the hearing office) who, themselves, are often backed up in cases.
Backlog is the major reason for most of the delays. So many people are just waiting in line in front of you and you just have to wait your turn.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
(male)

Hey thanks for that feedback...I'm in the same boat as you...ltd constantly calling, questioning, etc. i hoope once they realize that i have been approved by ss they loosen the reigns...good luck.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Bigblueh20, sure sound like you got an approval Yea please keep us posted on your whole process. Have A Great Day

Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblueh20 View Post
Hey thanks for that feedback...I'm in the same boat as you...ltd constantly calling, questioning, etc. i hoope once they realize that i have been approved by ss they loosen the reigns...good luck.
Yeah, I understand your concerns bigblueh20. I am also on LTD. I have been on LTD for almost 2 years now. Hopefully, once approved for SSDI, the carrier will bother you less because SSDI is offsetting the amount that the carrier now has to pay you. This is what I hope happens in my case also. SpineAZ is the resident expert here on LTD but she just had surgery and not posting much now until she feels better. You can do a search for some of her old posts and read. She has written some fantastic stuff on this board about both LTD and SSDI. Everyone who posts on this board can be a huge help and are a valuable resource to this online community.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
(male)

Yup, everyone on this board..and the others..are truly a big help. SpineAz is top notch in my book. I have been communicating with her through the entire process. I wish there was something we could do to repay her, if only for the moral support she provides. this whole process is too stressful...i hope the best for all.

The Following User Says Thank You to bigblueh20 For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (10-20-2011)
Closed Thread