It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
(male)

glenrich9908 HB User
SSI and Survivors back pay.

ok i got letter on ssi saying that our back pay was too much for lumpsum to paid at once so we get installments 6 months apart. but didnt get a letter for survivors whichi is half the ssi. will we get the survivors in whole or be spread 6 months as well

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: SSI and Survivors back pay.

glenrich9908>>>>when you say survivors, are you merely talking about dependent children or did someone die also? I am confused about your question.
I've read the reason SSI backpay is paid incrementally and not in one
lumpsum like SSDI is that if they paid it to you lumpsum, it would put
too much of a strain on SSI’s financial resources. I ask my friend Jack who use to work for SSA because I did not know the answer. Are you certain non-disabled SSI dependents under 18 years old are eligible for benefits like SSDI non-disabled, under 18 year old dependents?

Jack's response>>>
Quote:
Federal SSI is a bare-bones program. Adult SSI is for needy people
over 65, or disabled, or blind. Children's SSI is for needy children
under 18 who are disabled or blind. There are no "dependent's"
benefits like in the regular SSDI. retirement, and survivor's
programs.
SSI can be paid to a needy couple, but both have to be 65, disabled,
or blind. This is not the same thing as a dependent. If the one
partner is not 65, or disabled, or blind, then the only Fed. payment
will be made to the other partner who fits one of the three
categories.
Some States supplement the Federal SSI with additional money. Whether
these States make allowance for non-disabled dependent children is
something your friend will have to ask her State govt.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 10-20-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
(male)

glenrich9908 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
glenrich9908>>>>when you say survivors, are you merely talking about dependent children or did someone die also? I am confused about your question.
I've read the reason SSI backpay is paid incrementally and not in one
lumpsum like SSDI is that if they paid it to you lumpsum, it would put
too much of a strain on SSIís financial resources. I ask my friend Jack who use to work for SSA because I did not know the answer. Are you certain non-disabled SSI dependents under 18 years old are eligible for benefits like SSDI non-disabled, under 18 year old dependents?

Jack's response>>>
to answer your question, i recieve adult SSI, i also get survivors benefits while im 23 currently i was able to get survivors from my late father cause the medical evidence and they were going back to when i was 20. as hearing stated

Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
(male)

glenrich9908 HB User

and as to your other question my installment payment of 2,022 is from SSI back pay alone from that is little over 10 grand. and my survivors is in the 5 grand rnage

Old 10-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Ok glenrich9908, I think I understand now. Tell me if I have got this correct.
1. You are on adult SSI.
2. You became disabled before age 22 but after age 18. Is this correct?
Quote:
An adult child already receiving SSI benefits should still check to see if benefits may be payable on a parent's earnings record. Higher benefits might be payable, and entitlement to Medicare may be possible.
Question glenrich9908? Your monthly benefit amounts? Will you be getting both SSI and SSDI or just SSI? You are saying you are 23 now but became disabled when you were age 20. I assume that your dad had already passed, correct? So, you are eligible for child's benefits. (SSDI). I think from everything that I have read that SSI backpayments are paid incermentally but all SSDI backpayments are paid in one lumpsum so I assume your will child's benefits baypay (the 5 grand you mentioned) (SSDI off your dad's earning record) will be paid in one lumpsum.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 10-21-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenrich9908 View Post
ok i got letter on ssi saying that our back pay was too much for lumpsum to paid at once so we get installments 6 months apart. but didnt get a letter for survivors whichi is half the ssi. will we get the survivors in whole or be spread 6 months as well
I think you should get the survivors benefit in a lump sum . Adult childs benefit is not the same as a survivors benefit. SSI is the only program that I am aware of that pays out in increments any backpay, social security also wants the backpay benefits for SSI to be spent down and gives people a certain amount of time to do so , if their is more then $2000 saved it can be counted as a resource so you have to be careful about that. For SSI your only allowed to use it for certain things , and then social security will want to know what the money was spent on. This is for the SSI part.

Last edited by mscat40; 10-21-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Closed Thread