It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
(female)

stepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB User
CDR- is this statement true?

Hi All, I am up for my first CDR review. I was scheduled for a 3 year review, they are right on time with me (dang it).recieved the short form to fill out, i was told this is good news, but still nervous about it. My condition is worse, with 3 new life threating illnesses. I found this article and copied it to this post. Does anyone know if this is a true statement, it was posted by the National Hepatitus Foundation. Here it is, thanks for any input, its appreciated-

When it’s time for a CDR, Social Security will send you one of two forms:
• Short Form CDR (SSA-455-OCR-SM)
• Long Form CDR (SSA-454-BK)

The “right” way to fill them out depends on which form of CDR you are sent.

The short form (SSA-455-OCR-SM) is the “easy” one. It is only two pages long and is read by computer (OCR stands for Optical Character Reader). Since it is sent primarily to beneficiaries who have a low probability of medical improvement, this is probably the form you will receive.

This is good in that the short form assumes you are still disabled unless you give them reason to question that. A human only looks at the short form if the computer kicks it out for one reason or another. If it isn’t sent to a human for further review, then your benefits continue uninterrupted.

Assuming you are still disabled and your condition has not measurably improved, there are some things you can do to see that the computer accepts the form without sending it for further review:

• Fill out the form exactly as instructed. Use a box for each letter or number. If the boxes run out, stop, even if it’s mid-word.
• No new information. The goal of this form is to simply confirm the information they already have, so you don’t want to include any changes, not even administrative changes such as an address change on this form. New information will cause the form to be kicked out for human review.
• Use original diagnosis. Under “Reason for Last Visit,” use the same diagnosis for which you were approved.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stepmum54 For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (10-23-2011), ferd144 (10-23-2011), jgrangran (10-23-2011), mscat40 (10-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: CDR- is this statement true?

stepmum, If its okay can you tell me how old you are? and how long did it take to win your case the first time. Thanks

Old 10-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

stepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
stepmum, If its okay can you tell me how old you are? and how long did it take to win your case the first time. Thanks
Hi yeah I am 54 and I was finally approved in 2009 after a 6 year battle, a very hard one at that. I have Congesitive Heart Failure, Pulmonary Hypertension, and severe sleep apnea, Diabetes, depression. Ironically I got the depression during that 6 year wait for SSD,
Thanks for your repley

Old 10-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Hi there,
I have heard that their are two different forms , the short form is the easiest to fill out. Gave you goteen your CDR yet? I have been on SSDI over four years now and have not had a review even though I was told it would be in 3 years. I am not sure if the inforamtion is correct you have , but is sounds accurate. It is specific , and easy to understand. I have heard it is hard for social security to "kick off" someone on disability unless your condition has improved enough to work a SGA. Some people are getting their CDR's sooner because of the economy and so many people on disability, their stepping up on them. As long as the person is seeing the Dr's and taking their medications on a daily basis then it is likely you will be disabled enough to continue benefits.

Last edited by mscat40; 10-23-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
Hi Jgrangran- I sent a reply earlier to you, but did not post So I will answer your questions again

I am 54, and finally got SSD in October 2009, after a six year wait, fight and pure hell

I got it on Congestive Heat Failure, Pulmonary Hypertension, Severe Sleep apnea, Diabetes, and Depression. I am now worse with added heart issues that leave me in the hospital every 3-4 months, a 7-14 day stay. So I am not to concerned about getting kicked off, just wondering, worried a little, for Social Security seems to make up the rules as they go, you know?

This is my only income, I am a single mom of 2 teenagers, so the thought of getting kicked off, is a nightmare I do not want to go through. Thanks for your post.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Thanks stepmum54. Good info. Please come back after you fill out the short form and tell us all what happened please after a decision has been made. I was just recently approved and given a 3 year CDR. This will help others to know what to expect when their CDR comes up.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Here is the rest of the thread that stepmum54 copied and pasted.

Quote:
"What to do if the individual gets the long form
The long form (SSA-454-BK) is 10 pages and is very similar to the original forms that the individual filled out when he or she first applied for disability benefits. The form primarily asks for the names and addresses of all medical providers. SSA will obtain the medical records directly from the medical providers. This form not only goes to persons whose condition is expected to improve, it is also sent to persons whose short form was “kicked” by the computer, and is randomly sent to persons as part of a trial or study that the Social Security Administration may be conducting. The long form should be filled out just as thoroughly and completely as when the individual initially applied for disability benefits. On this form, it is important to note any changes in the medical condition, especially new infections, symptoms or diagnoses. Individuals must make sure their doctors are alerted to the review and that they submit new medical records since their last review promptly.

SSA will ask for evidence that it will need for the CDR that is similar to what it needed for the initial claim for Social Security disability benefits. SSA will have the individuals fill out forms describing their current condition and list all of the places where she or he have received treatment. SSA will obtain copies of all recent medical records. SSA may schedule examinations or tests for the individual if more information is needed about their condition. If he individual fails to provide information that SSA asks for or if the individual fails to attend an examination that SSA schedules for that SSA schedules for them, their benefits will be terminated."

Old 10-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

If you are given a 3 year CDR, technically you are given a MIP disability rating.

IMHO>>>>
MINE = medical improvement not expected (probably short form CDR)
MIP = medical improvement possible (short or long form possible)
MIE = medical improvement expected (probably long form)

MINE = approx. 7 year CDR like Vanno4 here
MIP = approx. 3 year CDR like blueskies here
MIE = approx. 1 year to 18 month CDR

Old 10-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

I have a question for anyone reading this thread. I love threads like this one because this is a concern we all have after going out on disability. People on LTD have these same fears and concerns....what if I get kicked off in the future and know I am unable to work? I remember what Bilbo here went thru during his CDR, altho he was ultimately approved for continued benefits. This is a real fear we all have despite how much we try to convince ourselves that this is unlikely to happen esp. if our medical condition has not improved or deteriorated since most of us have chronic medical problems.

The fact is most people who go out on SSDI stay out on SSDI until they reach SSNRA (social security normal retirement age) and disability converts to retirement and then you get retirement until death so you are talking about a lifetime of benefits and a lot of money over time.

My question is if you get the long form and SS requests medical records from all your treating doctors and the doctor does not submit in a timely manner, can you simply gather the medical records and take them down to the local SS office yourself? I imagine if the doctor does not comply, SS will then contact you to contact your doctor.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 10-23-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Thanks stepmum54. Good info. Please come back after you fill out the short form and tell us all what happened please after a decision has been made. I was just recently approved and given a 3 year CDR. This will help others to know what to expect when their CDR comes up.
Thanks BlueSkies I will keep all posted. The form is still sitting un-touched on my kitchen table, I just keep looking at it and disecting it and any information I can find on the internet. The info i found on the Hipatits Foundation, about the helpful hints for long form and short form are excellent. I am not going to overload the form with new dianosis, I am sticking to just the original approved SSD illnesses.
Hope all have a great day, and thanks, please keep any comments coming.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmum54 View Post
Thanks BlueSkies I will keep all posted. The form is still sitting un-touched on my kitchen table, I just keep looking at it and disecting it and any information I can find on the internet. The info i found on the Hipatits Foundation, about the helpful hints for long form and short form are excellent. I am not going to overload the form with new dianosis, I am sticking to just the original approved SSD illnesses.
Hope all have a great day, and thanks, please keep any comments coming.
You should have no problem because of your age I'm susprised they did not give you a 7 year review. And blue you can take all your medical records with you make sure you give them copies because you cannot get them back. And if you are in your 50,s I would think you would get a 7 yr review. I know I did

The Following User Says Thank You to vann04 For This Useful Post:
stepmum54 (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

stepmum54>>>>when do you have to get the short form completed and sent back to SS? Did they give you a deadline?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann04 View Post
You should have no problem because of your age I'm susprised they did not give you a 7 year review. And blue you can take all your medical records with you make sure you give them copies because you cannot get them back. And if you are in your 50,s I would think you would get a 7 yr review. I know I did
I sure hope so Vann. Since I was just approved and given a 3 year CDR, I will be 53 when they review me. I hope after that, they give me a 7 year CDR like you initially got. How was your weekend friend?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Ok nice weather here just trying to get use to the quiet the chuch right behind my appt. Building had a Greek festival for 3 days my gf had to work sat. And could not get to sleep till the band stoped playing at midnight. So we are both tired

Last edited by mod85; 10-24-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

This is one of the main reasone I do not want to move out of the county, Because then my son and I would have to seek out new Dr's that do not know either of our medical history's. I don't want to take the chance that social security would find us not disabled anymore to qualify. Since it is past the three year mark and no CDR I think I could get one anyday, I am afraid to call and ask . It is hard to live off the income we have now and the thought of us losing our benefits is scary. I might try and obtain my records just to have them.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
jgrangran (10-24-2011)
Closed Thread