It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

cruiseladytx HB User
Question Confused on onset date

Received denial from adj hearing but becausse of depression did not file appeal in time. Have a new attorney and restarting the process but I am confused on onset date. My attorney has stated I cannot use the original date but must use a date after my denial letter.

Any info will be appreciated.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Confused on onset date

It sounds to me like your attorney is saying since SS denied you at the ALJ level, they are saying that you were not disabled from the time you wrote on the initial application (AOD) to the date they denied you. They are essentially saying you were not disabled then but you might be disabled now after we denied your claim. I am not so sure about this. I will post back after doing some more research.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

@ cruiseladytx>>>I do not understand something. Didn't your original attorney tell you, you had 60 days to appeal the ALJ denial if you wanted to pursue further? Were you just too sick from the depression to decide what you wanted to do after the denial so you did nothing and allowed the 60 days to elapse?

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 10-27-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

It seems like this is true if one decides to file a new claim after a level 3 denial unless the old case can be reopened.

For example....
1. AOD = Jan. 1, 2009. (initial application)
2. ALJ denies your claim Jan. 20, 2011.
3. You decide not to pursue this claim any longer but start a new claim.
4. You can not on the 2nd application use an AOD (alledged onset of disability)
date which is the date you alledge your disability began that is Jan. 20, 2011
or earlier on the 2nd application.

I did ask my friend Jack who use to work for the SSA admin. and runs another SSDI discussion forum and here is what he told me and provided a link to verify what he said.

Jack said>>>>>
Quote:
A person can allege any date he wants but the DDS will not allow a
claim before the date of the ALJ's adjudication date unless the old
case can be reopened. If four years or less have elapsed since the
date of the initial DDS determination AND the claimant can show clear
error on the earlier determination OR submits new and material
evidence that relates prior to the ALJ decision, the old case can be
reopened. This is a difficult legal burden, and so the usual best
case scenario would be if the DDS allows the case with an onset after
the date of the ALJ decision, assuming that the claimant stll meets
the 20/40 work credit requirement as of that date.
In other words, most DDSs simply won't disturb what the ALJ did and
will establish a date after the date the ALJ ruled, if 20/40 was still
met, or else deny the new application.
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0425501121

@Gayle>>>>>>
Gayle, what was the AOD date on the 2nd application you submitted? I would imagine it was a date after your level 3 denial. This really makes sense in your case since you are still pursuing your initial claim. If a date prior to the 1st denial was used, the 2nd claim and 1st would overlap and SS does not allow this co-mingle.

@cruiseladytx>>>>You really don't have a choice because you can not pursue your 1st claim any longer since you did not appeal in time. I would still pursue a 2nd claim if you are not able to work. You want to make sure you do this ASAP and not exceeed your DLI (date last insured) where you run out of QC's (quarters of work credits) that will disqualify you from even filing a new claim.

Here is the caveat I suppose. Let's say one decides to appeal an adverse level 3 decision. If you are denied at levels 4 and 5 (FDC) and this whole process takes more than 5 years, you may not be able then to start a new claim because you have exhausted the min work credits needed for SSDI but if you started a new claim after the level 3 denial, you could then appeal another level 3 denial to levels 4 and 5 if need be. I can't imagine fighting SS for more than 5 years. How does one survive in the meantime unless you are married and the other spouse has income?

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 10-28-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post

@Gayle>>>>>>
Gayle, what was the AOD date on the 2nd application you submitted? I would imagine it was a date after your level 3 denial. This really makes sense in your case since you are still pursuing your initial claim. If a date prior to the 1st denial was used, the 2nd claim and 1st would overlap and SS does not allow this co-mingle.
For many people, the onset date is not clear cut. In my case, I was fine one day and could not walk the next day. I was taken to an emergency clinic, and that date has been accepted as my 'disabled' date in my first claim. It is also the date I used when I filed my second claim.

Since they can only go back 5 months after you file, the payments went back 5 months from the date of my second application. I am not sure how they will determine the onset date if I win my first case.

You also ask, 'How does one survive in the meantime unless you are married and the other spouse has income?' I used up all my savings, cashed in my retirements bonds and sold anything I did not absolutely need. You do what you have to do.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Thanks Gayle. After reading posts like yours and a few others on the internet, I think I would personally start a new claim if denied at the ALJ level unless my lawyer gave me a very good reason why it might be better to appeal after a level 3 denial. Thanks agian for the feedback Gayle. I hope you have a terrific weekend.

Closed Thread