HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Disabilities (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/disabilities/)
-   -   Mental Health Question... But I have a heart condition, not mental issues (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/disabilities/875684-mental-health-question-but-i-have-heart-condition-not-mental-issues.html)

kek5772 10-28-2011 08:52 PM

Mental Health Question... But I have a heart condition, not mental issues

Okay, I need your help board family. Today my atty. called and asked me several questions about my mental health. Back in 2004 when I had my first heart attack I began taking Wellbuturin to help end smoking. I still take the medications but, I have never had any sort of depression or other mental health issues. I do however have cardiomyopathy and and ICD for my heart issues. I guess my question is why do I need a mental health check, when that not what I am even filing for. I am in the first reconsideration level, and still trying to figure this whole process out ?????? If that can be done.;)
Thanks
Kevin

Slaughter1984 10-28-2011 11:24 PM

Re: Mental Health Question....But I have a heart condition,not mental issues

The only thing i can think of is your lawyer maybe trying to check all angles on how you are. If you have any signs of more conditions they can pursue them as well. My lawyer asked me about that stuff too. It also might just be a formality as you cannot be as active as you once were so they just make sure you are doing ok

BlueSkies14 10-29-2011 12:53 AM

This is not uncommon. When you or your representative submitted the initial application, they ask you to list all your medical conditions that might affect your ability to work. For example, when Allsup was interviewing me over the phone, I listed the main impairments (Panic Disorder, GAD,OCD, Depression) which prevented me from working and also some minor things like back pain and GERD which really did not impact my ability to work. SS sent me for both a mental and physical health CE and to a local hospital to have x-rays taken of my back. I could not understand the need for a physical health CE when my primary impairments were psychological.

I talk to a friend of mine in another forum who was approved for panic disorder. He told me he did not mention on his initial application that he had some minor back problems because he wanted SS to focus on his primary impairments which were the panic attacks and agoraphobia. SS only sent him for a mental health CE. Allsup told me that you should list everything whether it is disabling or not. I personally think they should focus only on the stuff that disables you from working. Even healthly, non-disabled people have minor, chronic health problems that do not preclude them from working.

Don't read too much into the CE's that SS sends you to or the mental health questions. The most important thing is to comply with any requests they make and appeal any denials until approval. Do you have an attorney or non attorney rep? You sound like you may be trying to go it alone. This is a very bad idea in IMO. If they deny you at level 2, I would seriously think about hiring a lawyer or advocate to help me. You have the best chance at approval at level 3. If you are denied at this level, the approval odds go way down again when you appeal after an adverse ALJ outcome so you want to make sure your disability claim is presented in the best light possible.

gayle428 10-29-2011 11:08 AM

Hi Kevin, and welcome to the boards.

Don't worry about mental health check. My disability is in my spine, and when I was at the reconsideration level of my second case, I was sent for a mental health exam. I also had never had any sort of depression or other mental health issues.

At the exam, I even told the psychiatrist that I did not understand why I was there, since my disability is in my back - and he told me it was just another step in the process.

A few months after the mental health exam, I was finally approved. So go to the exam, and maybe you will be quickly approved!

mscat40 10-29-2011 02:29 PM

Re: Mental Health Question... But I have a heart condition, not mental issues

Hi Kevin,
Social Security does that just as a formality , i was surprised when they sent my son to a Mental Health exam too , when his condition is developmental disabled. I have heard the CE's really do not hold much weight in a final decision .But, was told it is important to go otherwise a decision could be made without the proper docuementation.

BlueSkies14 10-29-2011 05:11 PM

Agree with both Gayle and Mscat. It is just a SSDI formality that does not carry much weight IMO in getting you approved but does carry some weight in a denial decision. IOW, it is very important that you attend any mental health CE that SS request. Failure to do so could result in a denial of your claim.

jgrangran 10-30-2011 06:27 AM

you know I just had a thought maybe its kind of like they are doing a survey to see how the mental strain of applying for ssi/ssdi is so they are just having random people do physic exams kind of like the quaility review how they just pick at random who will and who wont be choosen . Its just like this whole process some get approved while others don't( that have exact same things going on ) go figure? oh well it just a thought

gayle428 10-30-2011 09:52 AM

[QUOTE=jgrangran;4870566]you know I just had a thought maybe its kind of like they are doing a survey to see how the mental strain of applying for ssi/ssdi is so they are just having random people do physic exams kind of like the quaility review how they just pick at random who will and who wont be choosen . Its just like this whole process some get approved while others don't( that have exact same things going on ) go figure? oh well it just a thought[/QUOTE]

Interesting thought! Just speaking for myself ... after a 2 1/2 year battle with SSDI, I know I was under a LOT of strain.

NElady 10-30-2011 10:13 AM

I too am filing for my disability being mainly my spinal cord, however I was sent for a mental exam. I have a friend who is filing for bipolar disorder, and they sent her to a physical exam. So strange that they do that, but we were both denied initially so I think they use it as a denial tool. Good luck with your case, and stay the course! Don't give up!!!

jgrangran 10-30-2011 01:20 PM

So are you both approved now?

NElady 10-31-2011 10:41 AM

Nope, I am waiting to hear on either my atty's OTR request, or a hearing date! Same with her, she is waiting for a hearing date....

mscat40 10-31-2011 01:03 PM

I think all this is protocal , Social security has plenty of evidence on one area and not the other so they send us to a CE doctor. I have heard the CE does not hold a lot of weight in the determination phase.