It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

kittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB User
my review, if it helps others

I was approved for SSDI last May 2010. I was told to expect a review Dec 2011. Shocked to see a 16 page questionaire already in late August, and an appointment with an IME doc as well. Sure scared me!

I had my doc write out a quick note telling of no changes (handwritten....just something simple) and in 2 weeks recieved a letter approving me and my next review will be Dec 2014.

Phew....not bad at all.

Best of luck to all.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
(female)

stepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB User
Re: my review, if it helps others

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyluvr400 View Post
I was approved for SSDI last May 2010. I was told to expect a review Dec 2011. Shocked to see a 16 page questionaire already in late August, and an appointment with an IME doc as well. Sure scared me!

I had my doc write out a quick note telling of no changes (handwritten....just something simple) and in 2 weeks recieved a letter approving me and my next review will be Dec 2014.

Phew....not bad at all.

Best of luck to all.
Hi Kittyluvr400 Just a question if you don't mind; What health issues were you awarded on Social Security? They only gave you a year for your first review, im glad you will not have another one till 2014.I just recieved my first review, short form, i hope thats all i have to worry about, it is so stressful. Oh and also how long did it take for you to get a reply from your review? Sorry for all the questions, but I know reviews are always on all of our minds on this board, Thank You,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

@ kittyluvr400>>>so you were given an approx. 18 month CDR that you received earlier than Dec. You were approved for continued benefits and now given a 3 year CDR for your next review. This is very good news kittyluvr400. Glad everything turned out good for you. Thanks for coming back and sharing with everyone.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmum54 View Post
Hi Kittyluvr400 Just a question if you don't mind; What health issues were you awarded on Social Security? They only gave you a year for your first review, im glad you will not have another one till 2014.I just recieved my first review, short form, i hope thats all i have to worry about, it is so stressful. Oh and also how long did it take for you to get a reply from your review? Sorry for all the questions, but I know reviews are always on all of our minds on this board, Thank You,
I just looked at some of kittyluvr400 earlier posts. She suffers chronic pain from arthritis
kittyluvr400 wrote>>>>>
Quote:
I also suffer from the exact disabilities as you.....specifically chronic pain due to severe arthritis of the lumbar and cervical spine, which has caused my vertebrae to grow bone spurs into my spine, pinching it pretty much shut. Depression just naturally comes along with it, due to the misery of day to day pain. I am told I also have fibro.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

I don't know if this is true or not but they say if you have a CDR and SS terminates your SSDI benefit after review, you can appeal their decision and continue your benefits uninterrupted. Now, here is the caveat. If you win your appeal, all is ok and you simply continue to receive monthly benefits. If you lose your appeal, you have to pay the money back which you might have already spent and can't really pay back. I hope no one ever ends up in a situation like this.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

@ kittyluvr400>>>what is your age if you don't mind me asking?

Old 11-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
(female)

stepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
I don't know if this is true or not but they say if you have a CDR and SS terminates your SSDI benefit after review, you can appeal their decision and continue your benefits uninterrupted. Now, here is the caveat. If you win your appeal, all is ok and you simply continue to receive monthly benefits. If you lose your appeal, you have to pay the money back which you might have already spent and can't really pay back. I hope no one ever ends up in a situation like this.
Hi BlueSkies that is correct, If in a review they terminate your benefits, you can appeal and continue your benefits. Like you said if you lose your appeal you will have to pay all monies back. Its half comfortable, half a nightmare. I have never heard of anyone going through this, which is comforting, i think it is unusual, once you have been approved for SSDI. would like to hear anyone on here that has.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Thanks for the confirmation stepmum54. I have never heard of this happening to anyone either. It seems like getting kicked off SSDI is even much harder than getting approved initially which is also comforting. Hope you have been having a great day.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
stepmum54 (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Hi BlueSkies that is correct, If in a review they terminate your benefits, you can appeal and continue your benefits. Like you said if you lose your appeal you will have to pay all monies back. Its half comfortable, half a nightmare. I have never heard of anyone going through this, which is comforting, i think it is unusual, once you have been approved for SSDI. would like to hear anyone on here that has.
I think that would be very bad if someone had to re pay the benefits. I have not seen anyone get a review and have their disability benefits dis continued. This is why it is so important to keep seeing your DR's or therapists. PLus any medications your on, take them too. I have seen others get a CDR if their condition is expected to improve in 12 months .Social Security is cracking down. I was told my CDR was to happen at the 3 year mark, it has been just over 4 years with no CDR. It make me nervous , but if all it takes is a DR's note I think It will be fine.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
stepmum54 (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation stepmum54. I have never heard of this happening to anyone either. It seems like getting kicked off SSDI is even much harder than getting approved initially which is also comforting. Hope you have been having a great day.
The long approval process for SSDI ........the burden of proof is on the claimant/applicant.Taking it away the burden of proof is then on the SSA

Keep records,continue to see your doctors,and take your meds!

Last edited by ferd144; 11-01-2011 at 03:57 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ferd144 For This Useful Post:
stepmum54 (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
(female)

kittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB User

Quote:
@ kittyluvr400>>>what is your age if you don't mind me asking?
Turned 50 this year, so I was 49 when applying........maybe 48? Too confusing at the moment.

And yes, I suffer from severe arthritis of the spine....vertabrea (sp?) has bone spurs that grew and have totally pinched my spinal cord. Five cervical and five lumbar. 3 neurosurgeons agreed to no surgery (too evasive) and physical therapy could only make the pain worse. Basically, figure out a way to find comfort on my own. I go back and forth on pain killers. By the time I reach like 80 mg of percs a day (tolerance) I find I am in more pain due to withdrawals thru the day, so I detox myself and get off them for a while. Last week was a horror detox, but I am now feeling less pain. But if I do anything (like....walk, sit, stand...anything) I am in pain, so I do about 3000 mg or more of ibuprofin a day to take the edge off. Also wrapped up in heated throw blanket and resting my back on a heated pad helps alot. Naturally all of this cannot be done on the job, so my case was approved. I hate nights, as getting comfy is rough...and night has approached at this time, so I am going to stay up late, play puter games til I feel tired and then take 2 lunesta and hope for some sleep. Luckily, once I fall asleep, the rest of the night is good. Lunesta is more for getting you to STAY ASLEEP, so it works ok most times.

I am now seeing a neurologist, as my vitamin D level was a whopping 3. Yes, a THREE. (so we are working on that, at 50,000 mg a week right now) She confirmed the fibro and is going to do a nerve test upper and lower in Dec. In the last few months I bumped a thigh here and there and now the nerves are dead in those spots. Weird. So I am losing feeling now....feels like novacaine. I see myself on a hoveround in 10 yrs. Not funny, but I do chuckle about it.

Once I filled out the long review form and went to see an IME doc again, I was told by mail in two weeks that I was approved til late 2014 (can't remember, but late in the year. It is obvious this is a forever thing that can only get worse...never better. I imagine by 2014, I will be 54, it may be my last review. I mean really....they gotta gimme a break by then and just leave me alone. Suck it up and admit I will never get better.

I am bored....but thankful I do not have to suffer as I did on the job. I was 21yrs as a deli mgr in a supermarket and the last 2 yrs were horrific. All I did was cry and limp on both legs. (sciatic) I got an 'on the record' approval from the judge and never had to go to a hearing. He felt after 21 yrs and a high pay rate, there was logical reason why I was applying. Plus it was my only area of expertise, and nobody would hire me in a different job description, especially at my pay rate, my age, lack of experience elsewhere, not to mention being on heavy doses of narcotics.

I feel I got lucky...as I know others just can't get approved. An excellent doctor report.....from several doctors.....that is the ticket to approval. My pcp wrote a 3 page letter making me look like I was on my death bed, and all other docs basically considered my pain too severe.

Hope I didn't miss anything.
I'll be happy to answer questions, as like I said........I am bored!

Take care all.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
(female)

Quote:
BTW, I did get a short form review to fill out first. Then the long 16 pager followed shortly after with my appt for the IME doc. I said I was approved in May 2010, but I made a mistake on that, as I was approved in March 2010...then the review forms started coming in by August already. I am figuring (?) maybe since I got the 'on the record' approval, having never been seen at a hearing, maybe that is why they came after me so quickly. The country is broke and it is going to be harder to get approved and harder to keep your approval when reviews are up...at least that is what I read/heard somewhere. Due to lack of work, people are applying left and right...figure it is worth a shot, while they are out of work. So there may be a little more difficulty through the process than there was a few yrs ago. JMOSorry for that downer of an opinion. Scary, but true.

Just make sure you still keep seeing your doc regularly and whatever you do....this will sound crazy to some.....but try to get narcotics. Nobody will hire you if a drug test shows narcotic use. Drugs help your case. Even if you don't take them....see if your doc will give them to you and let the doc think you are taking them. I go on and off them regularly, due to their causing your pain to worsen over time.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyluvr400 View Post
BTW, I did get a short form review to fill out first. Then the long 16 pager followed shortly after with my appt for the IME doc. I said I was approved in May 2010, but I made a mistake on that, as I was approved in March 2010...then the review forms started coming in by August already. I am figuring (?) maybe since I got the 'on the record' approval, having never been seen at a hearing, maybe that is why they came after me so quickly. The country is broke and it is going to be harder to get approved and harder to keep your approval when reviews are up...at least that is what I read/heard somewhere. Due to lack of work, people are applying left and right...figure it is worth a shot, while they are out of work. So there may be a little more difficulty through the process than there was a few yrs ago. JMOSorry for that downer of an opinion. Scary, but true.

Just make sure you still keep seeing your doc regularly and whatever you do....this will sound crazy to some.....but try to get narcotics. Nobody will hire you if a drug test shows narcotic use. Drugs help your case. Even if you don't take them....see if your doc will give them to you and let the doc think you are taking them. I go on and off them regularly, due to their causing your pain to worsen over time.
Hi Kittyluvr- Thanks for all the information. I do agree it is important to see your doctor on a regular bases. This is not problem for most people. I have gotten worse since my original approval. It took me 6 years od denials, 3 AJL judges to finally win. I am on pain killers, so there is no way I could be hired for a job.

I agree, I think they are cracking down hard because of the econmy. The good news is this time the shoe is on the other foot, they have to really prove that we are no longer disabled. As long as you are the same no change for the better, you will be re-approved. Still a worry though, SS is in full control. Thanks,

Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Thanks for the reply back kittyluvr400. Sadly, I have to agree with what you, Ferd, and stepmum said. Like kittyluvr400 said, people are out of work anyway so why not give it a shot. A lot of people have non-disabling chronic medical complaints. I have had a bad back and back pain since I was 17 years old but it never prevented me from working. The thing is before you can even apply for SSDI, you must have the medical records to back up your claim. I can see someone who has never seen a doctor ever becoming disabled all of a sudden after something like a heart attack or stroke for example but those people who are out of work with chronic minor health challenges and infrequent doctor visits over the years have virtually no chance at getting SSDI. What does happen tho is that this does not prevent these people from applying anyway and all these additional applications bog the system down even more. SSDI (disabled) people and retired people are sharing the same SS OASDI (Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance) pie and there are many more people retired than disabled. Being disabled is actually an early form of retirement b/c one is not able to work any longer to SSNRA (normal retirement age).

In a way, I suppose we should all be grateful that the SSDI process is hard because it does filter out some of the non disabling claims which makes it better for those of us who have been approved for SSDI or retired.

In order for things like SSR, SSDI and LTD to work, you must always have more people working and paying premiums than people unable to work and collecting benefits. Essentially, the people working are paying for those who can no longer work for whatever reason. State lottery's run on this same principle. You can't have more people disabled than people working. If that happens, the whole thing collapses. I hope they will find novel ways to keep SS solvent. Very few people are able to work right up until the point soon before they die.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 11-02-2011 at 06:29 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (11-02-2011)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
(female)

I am just relieved I made it thru the process with minimal aggravation. Turned down during application, no appeals needed in NY, and an 'on the record' approval all within 8 months.

And for those who wonder.....Yes, I definitely hired a lawyer who specializes in SSDI. He probably knew the judge and knew to put in for the 'on the record', knowing that judge will likely give it to me.

Folks.....get a lawyer. They may get 25% of your 'winnings' in the end, but at least you got to the end. Going years on your own is just misery for you...give the lawyer his share and you have a better chance at getting approved sooner.........like BEFORE you lose your house and destroy your credit. Most lawyers who do specifically SSDI for a living know all the judges, and once they know who is asigned to your case (at the hearing levels), they know just how to handle THAT JUDGE. Heck, they may even play golf together on the weekends. ;-)

The following user gives a hug of support to kittyluvr400:
ferd144 (11-03-2011)
Closed Thread