It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

Alexandersmama HB UserAlexandersmama HB User
Putting Money in the dedicated Account

Ok I FINALLY got another bank account opened today, and it is a dedicated account for ds. I'm told by my local office that a check will be cut tomorrow and sent out to him for 3 mo worth of backpay and that I have to put it in his dedicated account. My question is this...I have stuff I immediately need to buy him so why can't I just cash the check, save my receipts, and put the remaining balance in? Will this be allowed? How closely do they watch the account? Will they see I never put the entire amount in? See cuz if I put the check in there's a 10 day hold and he needs a new bed, dresser, and gates NOW and I'd really like to get him some appropriate developmental toys for christmas now. Can I do this? I'd be spending about $1800 on items for him and putting the remaining like $400 in? Is that ok? Thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
(female)

Re: Putting Money in the dedicated Account

also wanted to add...since the money is being cut tomorrow, or the check, apparently it's too late for the money to be directly deposited, so they are leaving it up to me and sending me the check to do so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

I don't think they will have access to actually monitor what is in the dedicated account. Only you will be able to do this unless you have to provide them with a photocopy of the bank account statement. I would think as long as you have receipts showing that the money was spent on him, you should be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandersmama View Post
How closely do they watch the account? Will they see I never put the entire amount in?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
I don't think they will have access to actually monitor what is in the dedicated account. Only you will be able to do this unless you have to provide them with a photocopy of the bank account statement. I would think as long as you have receipts showing that the money was spent on him, you should be ok.
thank you. then why do they say that only back pay is allowed for that account and no other money can go into it. how would they know? so basically i can cash the check at walmart spend what i need to for his needs, as allowed and give them the receipts and put the reamining balance in the dedicated account? That would work then? And do I have to get special permission to spend the items on developmental toys and bedding stuff for him and gates and safety things?

Old 11-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

stepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB User

What is a "Dedicated Account" ???

Old 11-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

I know you will have to fill out a Representative Payee Report about once a year. You can even do it online I think. There are also worksheets available to help you track how the money is spent down.

I don't think SS would have a problem with how you will cash this initial check. I assume any subsequent benefits will be direct deposited by SS into this dedicated bank account via electronic funds transfer. I understand that the reason you don't want to deposit this initial check into the dedicated account is because of the wait time needed for the check to clear and you need the money immediately. I see nothing wrong in doing what you want to do. When you pick up the check tomorrow, I would personally ask them. Should not be a problem as far as I can see.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
(female)

Dobie HB UserDobie HB UserDobie HB UserDobie HB UserDobie HB UserDobie HB User

A dedicated account is an account set up for the children of a disabled parent. The backpay for the children would be deposited into that account by SSA. They will require that you keep a record of the spending on this account because it is only for the children. Hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dobie For This Useful Post:
stepmum54 (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
(female)

it's an acct just for ssi backpay for children. only back pay can be put into it.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
I know you will have to fill out a Representative Payee Report about once a year. You can even do it online I think. There are also worksheets available to help you track how the money is spent down.

I don't think SS would have a problem with how you will cash this initial check. I assume any subsequent benefits will be direct deposited by SS into this dedicated bank account via electronic funds transfer. I understand that the reason you don't want to deposit this initial check into the dedicated account is because of the wait time needed for the check to clear and you need the money immediately. I see nothing wrong in doing what you want to do. When you pick up the check tomorrow, I would personally ask them. Should not be a problem as far as I can see.
thank you blue skies. I don't pick up the check tomorrow, unfortunately. THey mail it. How I wish I did. I HATE waiting for the mail and going through all these channels. My case worker didn't even input the acct number into the computer. He never returns any phone calls. I have to show up at the local office and they have to talk to him and what he says comes back to me. I can't even meet with him. My concern is that something will happen and the check will NOT be sent because he didn't get the info input in time.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I cannot get a hold of my sons Social security worker either, she has not returned calls , so we are still waiting to find out what he will get for SSI and any backpay. He is currently recieving adult child benefits the rest of it would be in SSI
Hopefully the correct imformation was implemented in time for your child to get the check. What you want to use the money for sounds like a perfect plan. If your child recieves more then $2000 backpay social security wants it to be spent down , they allow time for that to happen, otherwise it will be considered a resource . SSI is much harder to be on because it is income based and has very strict rules , it gets more difficult when it is for a child. The rules are new , that parents need to follow .If there is any question on what to use the backpay for , I would check with a social security rep. just to make sure i was doing things correctly.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
I cannot get a hold of my sons Social security worker either, she has not returned calls , so we are still waiting to find out what he will get for SSI and any backpay. He is currently recieving adult child benefits the rest of it would be in SSI
Hopefully the correct imformation was implemented in time for your child to get the check. What you want to use the money for sounds like a perfect plan. If your child recieves more then $2000 backpay social security wants it to be spent down , they allow time for that to happen, otherwise it will be considered a resource . SSI is much harder to be on because it is income based and has very strict rules , it gets more difficult when it is for a child. The rules are new , that parents need to follow .If there is any question on what to use the backpay for , I would check with a social security rep. just to make sure i was doing things correctly.

So you're saying even though he told me the check would be mailed tomorrow that may be a lie? This is what I am so afraid of I don't trust them I keep getting different stories it's killing me I want that back pay check sent out tomorrow like they say it will I'm afraid they'll give me more excuses though

Old 11-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
So you're saying even though he told me the check would be mailed tomorrow that may be a lie? This is what I am so afraid of I don't trust them I keep getting different stories it's killing me I want that back pay check sent out tomorrow like they say it will I'm afraid they'll give me more excuses though
no I am not saying it was a lie, I was just explaining what happened to my son and my own personal experience with SSI. Hopefully the check is on it's way and everything will work out fine.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
(female)

Are you still waiting for your back pay how long had it been we don't start monthly payments until dec back pay is All he gets this month so I'm counting on them sending that check

Old 11-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Are you still waiting for your back pay how long had it been we don't start monthly payments until dec back pay is All he gets this month so I'm counting on them sending that check
I applied for my son in April 2011. Since I am on SSDI my son was approved for adult child benefits , S.S witheld September's payment and began paying in October. He gets $582 right now, and the rest will be in SSI .We are still waiting for everything. He has a overpayment of 1,700 so I am not sure if they will take that out in backpay . When he was very young he was awarded SSI benefits , up until I began recieving SSDI, then Social Security placed him on my record, and took him off once he turned 18 , then I had to re-apply for him all over again. He has autism and cognitive delays.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #15
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
I applied for my son in April 2011. Since I am on SSDI my son was approved for adult child benefits , S.S witheld September's payment and began paying in October. He gets $582 right now, and the rest will be in SSI .We are still waiting for everything. He has a overpayment of 1,700 so I am not sure if they will take that out in backpay . When he was very young he was awarded SSI benefits , up until I began recieving SSDI, then Social Security placed him on my record, and took him off once he turned 18 , then I had to re-apply for him all over again. He has autism and cognitive delays.
I don't get benefits for myself, only my son. THey held back novembers payment and are putting that into back pay, which he will get in 6 momnths. I am just so nervous about receiving this check and it actually being sent. I'm afraid if I call they;'ll give me 10 different answers.

Closed Thread