It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

kittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB User
Nerve test coming up...

OK, so am I being a baby or not? I am at the point now of losing feeling in parts of my legs and I have a nerve test, cervical and lumbar, coming up in December.

I am freaking out. Mostly due to the fact that I am afraid at times during the testing I will be forced to be in painful positions....such as lying on my sides (which will hurt like all heck.....bad pain in both hips) and lying on belly so they can do back of my neck and arms. Another painful position. I have a nice soft bed and sleep in pain thru the night due to these areas, and you expect me to do these positions on a hard table for an hour and a half per upper, and then lower, split between two weeks, due to the discomfort.

Discomfort???? They are going to have to keep a full box of tissues nearby, because I am anticipating alot of tears on my part.

Anyone ever have this test and is it as bad as I imagine? Can I be sedated? LOL I guess that would be a no.

A bit off topic on this board, but I figure I'd give it a go.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
(male)

Slaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB User
Re: Nerve test coming up...

I have a nerve test on wendesday to test my arms on why they are always going numb and my fingers twitch uncontrollably. Also the constant pain in my elbows. I really hope they figure something out that can make everything you are going through at least bearable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
(female)

NVflower HB UserNVflower HB UserNVflower HB UserNVflower HB User

No nerve conduction studies that I've ever had done, involve being contorted in to painful positions. In fact, two were done laying down and 2 sitting up for both cervical and lumbar radiculopathy. They are small needles and IMO relatively painless. An epidural is way worse. Trigger point injections, way worse. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I've had several EMG's and while not fun, they aren't that bad. They used to be much worse than they are now. Those may be the horror stories you may have heard...from old testing methods and equipment.

You may have to lie on your side while they test the sciatic nerves on both legs but it takes minutes, not hours. You don't "contort"...they want to test the nerves in the major position such as lying down with straight arm or leg.

The tiny zaps you get are no where near as bad as banging your elbow....hardly felt. The needles they have to use are as small as those for acupuncture so you barely feel them. The only pain I had from my last one was where the doc really got the nerve...put a needle through it so it ached for a couple of days...that was it. Had a lot of BandAids to peel off and that can hurt too but that is minor...take a hot shower and they come off easily.

I have a full set of cervical and lumbar EMG's coming up as well and while I don't look forward to it, I need the results so I do it. And I'm really glad they now are much easier and less painful then when I had my first one back on 1976. Not just less painful...much, much less painful!

Don't sweat it.

Jen

Old 11-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

No, you are not being a baby! I also have back problems, and just the thought of having to be in painful positions scares me too!

At any doctor's visit, I tell them I cannot lay on the table, and why - and they always manage to work around it.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I hope you will get some answers after the testing, Slaughter .It is always a little scary not knowing what the Dr's are going to do.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
(female)

kittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matafleur View Post
No nerve conduction studies that I've ever had done, involve being contorted in to painful positions. In fact, two were done laying down and 2 sitting up for both cervical and lumbar radiculopathy. They are small needles and IMO relatively painless. An epidural is way worse. Trigger point injections, way worse. Of course, your mileage may vary.
OK, so far all replies pretty much say the same thing...I will not be forced to contort myself for a lengthy period of time. :-) I think I can handle the tiny needle pinching. I am bringing along a long sweater to just have it around in case they let me put it under my hip if my hip starts to hurt.

It is so weird....as my left thigh hurts all the time, but when I touch it, it is numb. It's like the skin hurts, but the nerves are dead. And then below the thigh was the knee replacement, so lots of numbing going on there...at this rate, All that will be left will be my foot. Good for the record books though, very helpful during reviews.

Last edited by kittyluvr400; 11-05-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
(male)

Slaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
I hope you will get some answers after the testing, Slaughter .It is always a little scary not knowing what the Dr's are going to do.
I hope so to, The doctor looked at my elbows when i was there and wondered why the hard lumps havent dissipated in all this time. So I am hoping he is not thinking about surgery but if that is what happens then i guess it is needed. I also hope that kittyluvr has an easy time getting the tests on her back. Good luck and keep us updated

Old 11-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyluvr400 View Post
OK, so far all replies pretty much say the same thing...I will not be forced to contort myself for a lengthy period of time. :-) I think I can handle the tiny needle pinching. I am bringing along a long sweater to just have it around in case they let me put it under my hip if my hip starts to hurt.

It is so weird....as my left thigh hurts all the time, but when I touch it, it is numb. It's like the skin hurts, but the nerves are dead. And then below the thigh was the knee replacement, so lots of numbing going on there...at this rate, All that will be left will be my foot. Good for the record books though, very helpful during reviews.
I hope things turn out well for you , kittyluvr. I have a lot of nerve damage from being severely burned , it is all numb , and probably will be that way.you cannot replace nerve damage.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
I hope things turn out well for you , kittyluvr. I have a lot of nerve damage from being severely burned , it is all numb , and probably will be that way.you cannot replace nerve damage.
Sorry 'bout the burn mscat, that is far worse than my back pain, I am sure.

Thanks to all who helped me with replies. I don't feel better about the test, lol, but at least I know what to expect. I see those days being made easier for me with a valium and pain killer. I just detoxed myself off the percs last week, which is always so much fun .........should be safe to take one by then, with little chance of my body picking up on a dependence just for those 2 days.

Sigh...

Closed Thread