It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
(female)

Alexandersmama HB UserAlexandersmama HB User
Keeping Track

My son's back pay arrived in the mail yesterday, via paper check form. a Check for $2022. I am planning on cashing it and buying the stuff he needs, which I've read can be used for his disability. I plan on keeping receipts but will they know I didn't put the back pay in the dedicated account and just spent it and bought him stuff to help him with his disability? Do they track the bank account? I have over $2000 worth of items he needs that are for his sensory and developmental issues. NONE are drs bills, camps, etc because we have ins and he's too young. I'm just going to toys r us and walmart and buying what he needs. Items such as developmental toys, baby gates for safety, etc. They shouldn't question these right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Keeping Track

I don't see how they can track personal bank debits and deposits. I don't think they can. Even if you were to deposit the full amount into his bank account, you are then going to turn right around and withdraw the funds after the check clears to spend on your son. What is the difference in cashing the check, spending X dollars on your son, and putting the remainder in his bank account? The only small thing I can see is that there could be a small fee associated with cashing the check. You should pay any check cashing fee with your own money and not with any of his. Just make sure you hold on to all receipts to show how the money was spent.

Glad the USPS came thru for you yesterday. I had a feeling the check would arrive either Sat or Mon. The USPS is actually pretty dang good despite the bad reputation it is given by some ppl.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

I take part of what i just said back. They will be able to track future deposits in a way because they are going to be depositing the funds into this account. I suppose you are just worried about this one time, initial payment.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
I take part of what i just said back. They will be able to track future deposits in a way because they are going to be depositing the funds into this account. I suppose you are just worried about this one time, initial payment.
But they can't track if I put the money in the account as its a check they sent and not a direct deposit right so I can buy him what he needs or will hey question why I never deposited the check but spent it can I get into trouble for that all the stuff is for him what he needs for his disability I just don't want to get into trouble but what's the worst theyll do make me repay it will they stop his
Montly benefits if I have to repay thanks

Old 11-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

All they will require is proof that the money was spent on him. As long as the amount you deposit plus the amount you spent on him = the total amount of the check sent, I would say that is perfectly fine. Am I correct that any future payments whether monthly payments or backpay lumpsums will be direct deposited into his account?

Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Alexandersmama, exactly how old is Alex now?

Old 11-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Alexandersmama, exactly how old is Alex now?
Thanks so much blueskies. You have been SO incredibly helpful. He is 22.5 months. Will be 2 dec 18. I just want to make sure that they don't come back after me. Every penny is being spent on him. It's for safety gates, a new bed, bed rails, developmental toys for his disorder, an ipad for his disorder. Not one penny is being spent of myself, my other kids, food clothing or shelter. But I've been buying little things on the receipts with other things. Can I say well I bought several items and put just the back pay towards that, included with the other items, which I spent my own pay on. I just combined it all together but took his money out for just what was his stuff. This is ok right? I don't want them seeing a receipt with like $300 spent and $50 is his stuff and I put $50 of his money in but they're thinking I took all $300 of his money.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

I think I see what you are saying. I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. You may want to take a highlighter and highlight the line items on the receipts that were purchased for Alex.

I think you will be fine. Let me know how the iPad turns out for him. I saw this thing on 60 minutes about how the iPad is helping autistic kids communicate. Language and the ability to communicate is what makes us human. I am so happy that technology is now able to help disabled kids live happier lives.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

i know social security wants the money spent down and go to the child's needs. If the money is not spent down they could count it a as resource, and then lose a payemnt or two. As long as you can show social security where the money went and was used for the child's needs/benefit is all they want to know.

Closed Thread