HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Disabilities (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/disabilities/)
-   -   Did I get both SSDI and SSI? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/disabilities/877253-did-i-get-both-ssdi-ssi.html)

Sandshoes13 11-08-2011 10:26 PM

Did I get both SSDI and SSI?

I Got my password request code letter today and signed up today.

I got my password and looked up my payment information. It showed I would be getting $403 a month as my Social Security I think Disability amount.

Then below it listed SSI but it didn't list an amount next to it.

I then went to the Direct deposit information. Under SSD it had my bank information. But next to SSI it states that my payment will be mailed to me.

I'm extremely confused. Did I get both. thanks for any help.

BlueSkies14 11-08-2011 11:44 PM

Re: Did I get both SSDI and SSI?

It appears that you qualify for both. $403 a month(SSDI) is a very low amount. I would call the 1-800 SS # on this one tho. I wonder why they would direct deposit one and mail the other one to you. Why not direct deposit both?

stepmum54 11-09-2011 01:31 AM

[QUOTE=BlueSkies14;4876484]It appears that you qualify for both. $403 a month(SSDI) is a very low amount. I would call the 1-800 SS # on this one tho. I wonder why they would direct deposit one and mail the other one to you. Why not direct deposit both?[/QUOTE]

With me i got to different letters, one from SSI, the other from SSDI. Both stated the amount that they would direct deposit.

I got kicked off SSI a month after my SSDI started, I then made to much on SSDI to qualify for SSI, but got all backpay for 6 years from both.

If you only get 403.00 SSDI you will get some from SSI, like BlueSkies said, 403.00 is a very low amount to live on.
Congrats on winning, the worst is over.:)

BlueSkies14 11-09-2011 05:16 AM

[QUOTE=stepmum54;4876499]

I got kicked off SSI a month after my SSDI started, I then made to much on SSDI to qualify for SSI, but got all backpay for 6 years from both.

[/QUOTE]Did you lose medicaid for the kids when they stopped SSI, stepmum? How much of an impact did that have?

mscat40 11-09-2011 12:03 PM

[QUOTE=Sandshoes13;4876445]I Got my password request code letter today and signed up today.

I got my password and looked up my payment information. It showed I would be getting $403 a month as my Social Security I think Disability amount.

Then below it listed SSI but it didn't list an amount next to it.

I then went to the Direct deposit information. Under SSD it had my bank information. But next to SSI it states that my payment will be mailed to me.

I'm extremely confused. Did I get both. thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

$403 is a low SSDI amount, IF you met the income requirements for SSI you would be getting something from SSI as well. You might be getting backpay in the mail , and then monthly benefits will be deposited directly in your account. In California , a person can get $830 a month total in SSI. So they will subtract the $430 and then pay you the remaining balance, if you meet SSI criteria.

Sandshoes13 11-09-2011 03:44 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for responding you guys!

I'm new to all of this and I got this on my first try.

I'm very happy but understand it is a low about and should be getting more. I will look into it. thanks.

stepmum54 11-10-2011 04:41 AM

[QUOTE=BlueSkies14;4876548]Did you lose medicaid for the kids when they stopped SSI, stepmum? How much of an impact did that have?[/QUOTE]

hello BlueSkies-
I never recieved Medicad for the kids, because there father provided health insurance. So I did not have any insurance for a long time, it was tough, raked up a lot of medical bills. Once I recieved my back pay, I was able to pay all those bills.
I of course revieved medicare right away, and it was retro active back 6 years when I first applied.I was very happy at that point, I still remember the relief, it was difficult being a single mom at the time and disabled, and supporting 3 teenagers:dizzy:

mscat40 11-10-2011 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=stepmum54;4877077]hello BlueSkies-
I never recieved Medicad for the kids, because there father provided health insurance. So I did not have any insurance for a long time, it was tough, raked up a lot of medical bills. Once I recieved my back pay, I was able to pay all those bills.
I of course revieved medicare right away, and it was retro active back 6 years when I first applied.I was very happy at that point, I still remember the relief, it was difficult being a single mom at the time and disabled, and supporting 3 teenagers:dizzy:[/QUOTE]

I worked full time as a single parent with a disabled child for many many years, I could always get him health insurance, but never me. Those are very rough times. i am glad you wer eable to pay your bills with your backpay. I am also glad you have Medicare , it is nice to finally get coverage , I understand that. i only had one child , but times were tough , We made it though it though, this was before I became disabled, now both my son and I are recieving benefits.
Did it take you 6 years to get approved?

stepmum54 11-10-2011 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=mscat40;4877401]I worked full time as a single parent with a disabled child for many many years, I could always get him health insurance, but never me. Those are very rough times. i am glad you wer eable to pay your bills with your backpay. I am also glad you have Medicare , it is nice to finally get coverage , I understand that. i only had one child , but times were tough , We made it though it though, this was before I became disabled, now both my son and I are recieving benefits.
Did it take you 6 years to get approved?[/QUOte

Thanks Mscat, yes it was tough, being a single mom and disabled we both can relate to this.

Yes it took me 6 long years. I had to appeal 2 times at ALJ hearing level. I had the first 2 hearings with a mean SOB judge, he denied most of his cases. So the rule here in Oregon is the 3rd hearing will be with adifferent judge.:D

I recived a bench ruling with him favorable. Things were so tough I was so relived. I hope they change the rules so people do not have to wait this long.

mscat40 11-11-2011 12:32 PM

Your a great example to others who are going through the process and want to give up . I am very glad you were awarded benefits and sad that it took you a long time. I think most people would of stopped fighting for it after a few years. I think I would have quit. the hardest part of all this is the waiting and not knowing what to expect . So many people start losing their homes, and cannot continue their claims .

stepmum54 11-11-2011 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=mscat40;4877843]Your a great example to others who are going through the process and want to give up . I am very glad you were awarded benefits and sad that it took you a long time. I think most people would of stopped fighting for it after a few years. I think I would have quit. the hardest part of all this is the waiting and not knowing what to expect . So many people start losing their homes, and cannot continue their claims .[/QUOTE]

Thanks mscat, Yeah I would have layed down and quit easily, but had 3 young teens to support. It was tough, pure hell. I lived off my retirement, savings, lost our home, we had to move into a 2 bedroom apartment, 3 teenagers, thats no fun.
I always had a career, made good money, I do not think we would have made it if it were not for my retirment and savings.
I feel sorry for the people who were not as fortunate to have some kind of funds to fall back on.
We were not living high on the hog, I had to be tight and make it last. When we lost our house, thats when my money ran out. We couch surfed with friends for a few month till I finally got enough for an apartment. Then I finally won my case and recieved benefits.
I really believe SSDI puts you through all this to siff out the real sick from those who are to lazy to work. Sorry sounds crude, but there are people out there like this.:wave:

egkenny 11-12-2011 12:32 PM

SSI Federal Payment Amounts for 2012

Eligible individual: $698 per month
Eligible couple: $1,048 per month
Essential person: $350 per month

If your only income is SSDI then you will probably also receive SSI if your income is low enough and your resources do not exceed set limits.

For example suppose you receive $300 a month from SSDI then subtract $20 from your SSDI unearned income: $300 - $20 = $280

For an eligible individual the SSI check should be: $698 - $280 = $418