It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
(male)

GregBear4you HB User
ST Disablity - Unclear about doctor approval

Hello,

I have hypogammaglobulinimia. I am not able at this time to receive infusion treatment (my insurance co. through work, denied it, and my doctor is fighting it)
I am very tired and fatigued. Very hard to stay on task at work, and feel like I'm falling behind due to my conditions associated with this disease (bronchictisis, sinusitus, antibiotics are not clearing up infection, and I am cut short of breath) I also have major depression, which is really bad since I was diagnosed, and then, denied for treatment by my group ins. company.

I really need to go out on Family/Medical leave and go on STD; however, my doctor does not seem to willing to allow this, although, I have not pushed the issue.
Do I need approval from my doctor to start STD from the insurance company through work? it is the Hartford.
If not, what can I do to convince him I really need to not work at this time?

Has anyone had experience with this issue before. You know you are having a hard time working, however, the doctor is putting off STD for you.

Any idea what I could do?
Appreciate the responses..

Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: ST Disablity - Unclear about doctor approval

Quote:
I really need to go out on Family/Medical leave and go on STD; however, my doctor does not seem to willing to allow this, although, I have not pushed the issue.
I would find me another doctor. You must not only be concerned about your short-term ability / inability to work but also future long-term. I was on STD for over a year, been on LTD for almost 2 years, and was just recently approved for SSDI and given a 3 year CDR. In all three of the things I just mentioned, I was only approved because of the help and support of my treating doctors. Doctors often don't like to get involved in these things because many fear getting bogged down in insurance company (STD/LTD) and government (SSDI) paperwork and red tape. While this might be understandable from the doctor's POV, it will almost destroy your chances of getting STD / LTD claims approved which can in a sense be even more frustrating and aggravating than the SSDI approval process. There are however some doctors out there who are compassionate who will be sympathetic to your plight. The trick is in finding him or her. I was told by my LTD case manager that sometimes they will try and approve claims on medical records alone when a doctor in uncooperative and unwilling to fill out any disability paperwork but I personally don't like this. Everyone really needs supportive doctors before they file any kind of disability claim IMO.
Quote:
Do I need approval from my doctor to start STD from the insurance company through work? it is the Hartford.
Yes! If your doctor will not support your STD claim, Hartford will deny the claim IMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
GregBear4you (11-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread