It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
(male)

egkenny HB User
Am I messed up with Social Security?

On September 13, 2011 I was notified by the ALJ I would be getting SSDI and possibly SSI.

On October 22, 2011 I received all my SSDI backtime. It was all released because they said they had not heard from SSI. On November 4, 2011 I received SSI backtime. It was a much smaller amount than I received from SSDI. Note I will not get any future monthly SSI benefit since my SSDI benefit amount puts me over the limit.

Am I messed up? Is Social Security to eventually come back and make me pay some of this money back?

Today I received a letter from Social Security saying I was not legible for Extra Help because of my SSDI back time and my monthly income (SSDI monthly benefit plus the part time job I had which only pays about $400 a month). I was just over the limits for each.

Note because of my declining health just a week ago I had to quit my part time job. Also, my bank account balance was greatly reduced after I replaced my 23 year old car with a much newer one. Should I just reapply for Extra Help since I am under the limits now?

The crazy thing is that my wife until this month was getting SSDI, SSI and Extra Help for the last three years. Starting this month her SSI was reduced to $0 because our combined monthly income was over the limit. Today she also got a letter from Social Security and was reapproved for Extra Help!

How can I be turned down for Extra Help and my wife be approved for it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Am I messed up with Social Security?

I doubt that social security will make you re pay the backpay from SSI. I am unsure about what type of extra help you would like? is that SSI? SSI is all income based and a individual cannot have more then $2000 in resources. For a married couple it is $3000 . Is the "extra help" have to do with medicare costs? If so some people do get extra help paying monthly premiums , some do not . I don't think you messed anything up, sometimes it take a couple months until social securtiy figures out everytihng and pays the right benefits .One , more thing, is the extra help food stamps?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
(male)

egkenny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
I doubt that social security will make you re pay the backpay from SSI. I am unsure about what type of extra help you would like? is that SSI? SSI is all income based and a individual cannot have more then $2000 in resources. For a married couple it is $3000 . Is the "extra help" have to do with medicare costs? If so some people do get extra help paying monthly premiums , some do not . I don't think you messed anything up, sometimes it take a couple months until social securtiy figures out everytihng and pays the right benefits .One , more thing, is the extra help food stamps?
Before this month Extra Help was paying my wife's Medicare Part B and D premiums. Also she only paid I think $2 for a doctor visit and $1.10 for generic drugs.

A few weeks ago she got a letter from Medicare saying they would start deducting $115.40 from here SSDI check each month. Since I assumed she would be losing Extra Help I signed her up for Medicare Advantage starting January 2012. Now if she gets to keep Extra Help that will make her Medicare Advantage payment only $9 a month and her prescription co-payment still $1.10. They did not take out any Medicare Part B or D in November so I assume Extra Help is still paying for those yet.

If I stir things up now and she loses her Extra Help she will have to pay almost half of her SSDI for Medicare and Medicare Advantage. She will then blame me for this happening.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

i would re apply for the extra help . in my opinion your wife shuld not have to pay the $115.00 each month for medicare , especially if it is half of her SSDI payment. Call Medicare directly and disscuss this issue that way their will be no surprises.

Closed Thread