It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 05:59 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: New here need advice

Amen to that. Really these young children are still developing who know what kind of long lasting side effects they can have from it. I'm like mscat try behavioral therphy. You know your heart just breaks for these kids. I told my Grandaughter once when she was sick I wish she could just give it to me and she would't have it anymore but then she said yes I wish I could just give to you. LOL. But when they have something that they just are going to have to live with and it can't be fixed just managed it is so sad. My heart goes out to all families that have to deal with it on a daily basies. But then at the same time your fightin the monster ssa to it can be so ovederwheming. Please know we all care very much .

Last edited by jgrangran; 11-18-2011 at 06:04 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
arkansasbeauty (11-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
arkansasbeauty (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #17
(female)

arkansasbeauty HB Userarkansasbeauty HB Userarkansasbeauty HB User

I have opted to not have her on any medication, risking her life is not an option to me, I know i'm overprotective, but she was hospitalized for a month at birth and I nearly lost her. We have had her in behavioral therapy for 3 years now, and it does help considerably

The following user gives a hug of support to arkansasbeauty:
jgrangran (11-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasbeauty View Post
I have opted to not have her on any medication, risking her life is not an option to me, I know i'm overprotective, but she was hospitalized for a month at birth and I nearly lost her. We have had her in behavioral therapy for 3 years now, and it does help considerably
I always go by what a mother knows best when it comes to our children. IEPs are great because a parent can always call a meeting anytime of the year, and modify the IEP when necessary. Sometimes we have to fight for our childrens needs when it comes to dealing with the school , the parent will have the final say so , otherwise we don't have to sign the IEP until our childrens needs will be met. I am also overprotective with my son, even though he now is 18 the school he is in , he can stay until age 22. When he was younger Dr's wanted to put him on meds , Some of the meds, I would not agree on , or thought it was too much. Behavioral therapy is a lot more effective then meds , just my opinion.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I agree, I didn't know about the IEP that you could call a meeting anytime I just had one and I will have another soon because of the testing they are doing I just hope and pray the teacher's do what is right because I would not know its very very hard for me to understand percents and grafts and comparisons I have to sudy something over and over so many times thats why you have a 5 days waiting period before the IEP goes in effect. I would love to go over the results with someone that can explain it to me. Like you Mscat40. You all have a Great Week-End

mscat40 (11-18-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 05:38 AM   #20
(female)

arkansasbeauty HB Userarkansasbeauty HB Userarkansasbeauty HB User

I have an IEP for her, the school here acts like they call all the shots. I did not know I could request things like self time outs. I can say her teachers are completely supportive and are extremely nice to her and try to accomidate her melt downs. If she gets upset or shuts down they call me and ask me what to do, if they haven't figured it out already. She does not do well with substitute teachers or anyone she is unfamaliar with. I've only had one instance where I had to tell the sub to back off and stay away from her, then I took her home, since then the school has made sure she dosen't get this lady again. I know the sub had no knowledge of her problem, but when she shut down, balled up, and started rocking she should have figured it out, it was all I could do not to snap on her when I saw her pulling on my daughter, God only grants me so much patience for ignorance. Again, thanks for listening to my rambling.

The following user gives a hug of support to arkansasbeauty:
jgrangran (11-19-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #21
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User

Hi Arkansasbeauty -

For my sons IEP that granted him things like the ability to self-time out and all that other stuff, I had to get the district involved. I found out who was in charge of special education, and wrote a formal letter that was certified, return receipt, to the school he was attending, to the district office superintendent, and to the special education "leader" (has another title, but it is escaping me at the moment), requesting their attendance for an IEP, and to please phone me to schedule one when they could all be there. And that was done at the suggestion of his counselor, who also attended the meeting, and his psychiatrist wrote a report on how it was beneficial for my son to have those accomodations, and all that.

Knowledge is indeed power in so many ways, not only in dealing with SS, but in dealing with our childrens schools My son is now homeschooled, so it is no longer an issue, but while he was in public school that IEP was the best thing about the school

Old 11-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am finding that out also, I am trying to understand everything involed in having a child who has an IEP. I just really don't understand things as cleary as I used to not sure why maybe age stress who knows it could be meds are whatever just wish I was younger like you guys. But that being said I'm going to give it my best shot at it. I remember my kids they all were in the gifted and talented program and I can remeber to this day how when they would get there awards how I stood there and really like the most important award in my eyes were the most improved award because while my kids school came so easy to I knew it did't to others I would actualy feel gulity because I thought way back then they give the smart kids so much puiblic reconzition which they should some how also do it for all the kids in some way. Know my grandaughter has an IEP and I really wish they would do something special to kids that try their best and sometimes its not good enought she tries so hard but she just doesn't seem to be successful. They aren't failing her but we will see when her test results come back. My heart breaks for childern with all disabilities but like you said you realy need to educate yourself about it and do the best you can. Everyone have a great day.

mscat40 (11-19-2011)
Closed Thread