It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

arkansasbeauty HB Userarkansasbeauty HB Userarkansasbeauty HB User
Unhappy New here need advice

I had a hearing before the ALJ on 09/12/11, for my 7 year old daughter. I havent gotten a decision yet and am starting to kinda panic. At the hearing I was told to bring my daughter, but the judge never ask her to come in the room. The attorney insisted that my mother take her down the hall so she couldn't hear anything being said. My daughter has been diagnosed with ADD, ODD, dyslexia, and bi-polar, she was also born with a heart murmer and is currently being evaluated for regeressive autism. She is quite a handful and I seem to be the only person who can relate to her on a level she is comfortable with. My attorney said everything looked good at the hearing, but I havent heard from him yet. i called the Office of Disability Adjunication and Review and was told the judge will mail the decision shortly and they will close my case. I'm really hoping that dosen't mean we lost again. I'm so worried, part of my thinks we won for sure, then I remember we've already been turned down twice before

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: arkansasbeauty
Jacki345 (11-19-2011), jgrangran (11-16-2011), Slaughter1984 (11-16-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
(male)

Slaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB UserSlaughter1984 HB User
Re: New here need advice

Keep the hope up. Most people are denied in their first attempts. Most approvals are done at the ALJ. As for the time frame on the answer it is not uncommon to take 3 months or more so you are well in time. I know it sucks to wait for so long and still not know what is going on. But we are here for you. I will pray and hope you get a positive answer soon.

The following user gives a hug of support to Slaughter1984:
arkansasbeauty (11-16-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Slaughter1984 For This Useful Post:
arkansasbeauty (11-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

The wait time is the most difficult. I Hope your daughter will be approved . I highly question social security's deniels when it comes to disabled children. It is unfortunate her claim was not approved sooner. I hope you will get a favorable decision in the mail soon. my son was about 5-6 years old when he was first approved for SSI , so I understand how you feel.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: mscat40
arkansasbeauty (11-17-2011), jgrangran (11-16-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
arkansasbeauty (11-17-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Welcome to this board I know other will post. I sure hope you get your approval quick and you don't have to wait so long. I will also keep you in my prayers. Is your daughter getting help at school and are any of the meds helping her? I feel for all the children that have to go thru this process as well.

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
(female)

stepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasbeauty View Post
I had a hearing before the ALJ on 09/12/11, for my 7 year old daughter. I havent gotten a decision yet and am starting to kinda panic. At the hearing I was told to bring my daughter, but the judge never ask her to come in the room. The attorney insisted that my mother take her down the hall so she couldn't hear anything being said. My daughter has been diagnosed with ADD, ODD, dyslexia, and bi-polar, she was also born with a heart murmer and is currently being evaluated for regeressive autism. She is quite a handful and I seem to be the only person who can relate to her on a level she is comfortable with. My attorney said everything looked good at the hearing, but I havent heard from him yet. i called the Office of Disability Adjunication and Review and was told the judge will mail the decision shortly and they will close my case. I'm really hoping that dosen't mean we lost again. I'm so worried, part of my thinks we won for sure, then I remember we've already been turned down twice before
Hi there, welcome to the boards, you will find comfort and a lot of support from all people here.
First, it does take a while Sept is not that long. ALJ decisions can take 2-3 month, depends on how back logged your judge is. If your attorney thinks it went well, that is good news. They know, they are experienced and know the system and know all the judges. The first time my attorney told me it looked good, I won at my third ALJ hearing.
I am sorry to hear of your daughter disability. Can I ask you how long you have been fighting for disability ?
Hope you recieve a favorable decision soon, Godd Luck.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: stepmum54
arkansasbeauty (11-17-2011), jgrangran (11-16-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to stepmum54 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Also I think there is a place you can look up your ALJ percents of approvals and deniels but I not sure where other might know. But really then it might make you more worried so I would keep the hope and remember your lawyer said it went well. please keep in touch.

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasbeauty View Post
part of my thinks we won for sure, then I remember we've already been turned down twice before
Most of us here were turned down twice before so don't despair about these initial denials. They are almost like SSDI formalities. You have your best chance at getting approved at level 3. If your gut feeling told you things went well, they probably did. Part of applying for SSDI is learning the virtue of patience. Here is what the SSA says when to expect a hearing decision but due to backlogs, these timeframes can vary widely. Good luck to you.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1161/kw/alj%20hearing/related/1

Quote:
f a hearing is necessary, we strive to send you a detailed decision within 30 days after the administrative law judge (ALJ) makes a decision.

The amount of time varies from case-to-case depending on a number of factors, such as:

If additional information required after the hearing;
If new evidence was received after your hearing but before you received a decision; or
If the ALJ determined a supplemental hearing was necessary.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
Also I think there is a place you can look up your ALJ percents of approvals and deniels but I not sure where other might know. But really then it might make you more worried so I would keep the hope and remember your lawyer said it went well. please keep in touch.
Here is the link jgrangran is talking about.

http://www.ssa.gov/appeals/DataSets/03_ALJ_Disposition_Data.pdf

Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
(female)

gatorgirl1949 HB User

I see you are having problems getting on disability. I was too until I was directed to another source. After about 3 months BOOM! I was approved. And it only cost me $300 for thier fee. Give them a call. This is a representative not an attorney. They are not advertised in the local news paper, on TV or on the radio. It is all by word of mouth. I went through Social Security 2 times and was denied both times. After finding out about ALLSUP, I was approved. Got my first check within 6 months. PS They do all the paper work for you. Good luck! Jo Ann

Last edited by moderator2; 11-16-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

I used Allsup too Gatorgirl and they got me approved OTR. They don't advertise on TV or newspapers and magazines like you said but they do advertise on the internet and a lot is by word of mouth. I highly recommend them too. They do all the work and make the process as stress free for you as possible.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:27 AM   #11
(female)

I want to thank everyone for the encouragement, I am so relieved just knowing there are so many others that have been through the same thing. My daughter is currently not on any medication, all the medications we have tried in the past- there are about 12, all counteract one of the other conditions. One doctor actually perscribed her an antiphychiotic! The next day she had an appointment in Little Rock at Childrens and they told me under no circumstances should she take it, with her heart condition it could have killed her. Since them I am very weary of any medcation. She is currently in resource classes at school, it took almost a year of fighting with the school to get her some help. The regulations they judge disabilities by at school said her IQ was too high to qualify. Thankfully I got a chance to explain her case to the principal, and after viewing all the reports they were alot more cooperative. I felt so great when her first grade teacher walked up to me the first week of school and said: I don't mean this in a bad way, but there is something very different about her, not bad, and I can't even explain it exactly, she is in her own world. I was like YES, someone else notices, it's not just me anymore. A mental disability in a child is so hard to get anyone to notice, buy people who are around her for a good amount of time recognize there is something going on. Sorry this is so long yall , and again a big THANKS to everybody for caring and helping us get through this.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
(female)

Been fighting for about 2 and a half years

The following user gives a hug of support to arkansasbeauty:
jgrangran (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Some Antipsychotic medications work differently in people, they are used to treat other mental health conditions , in children the amount perscribed is very low. It is usually used in conjunction with other medications. Luckily your child did not have it, due to her heart condition, the Dr. who prescribed that medication should of known that...
i have always been on the fence about Dr's wanting to medicate children with so much meds. I think behavioral therapy can be just as effective, but that can take a lot longer , some Dr's think it is easier to pop a pill .
I have not heard of the term 'regressive autism" I have heard of degenertive autism , which is fairly rare. Who is evaluating your child? Are you going through the school district? Sometimes the school Psycholgist is not all that great , and many parents decide to take their child to a independant source for a evaluation. If she is found to have autism she will be entitled to comprehensive services through the school district. If they diagnose her as having Asperger's Syndrome it will be more of a fight to obtain services. My son has autism with cognitive delays, he began recieving servise at 3 1/5. I applied for SSI on his behalf when he was around 5-6 years old . As long as their is plenty of docuementation and the severity has been estabilshed I don't understand why social security would deny benefits at the first 2 levels. I know it is typical , but it is different when it comes to children. I hope the rest of the process runs smoothly , and she gets approved soon.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
arkansasbeauty (11-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #14
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User

My son receives SSI currently, and has for I think about 2 years now. His is for major/severe depression. His first suicide attempt was when he was 8 years old, and he was on prozac at the time. Very low dose. They switched him to Zoloft, and he became this evil evil child. I took him off that. I took a few more tries, but we found a combination that worked wonders for him.

At school, I got him on an IEP. I had to be very forceful and vocal about what I wanted for him, which included such things as my son being allowed to leave the classroom to sit outside on the bench, or go to the office for a self-time out - anytime he wanted, with no punishments. He also was prone to running away from school during this time, so it was written into his IEP that I would provide him with a cell phone, and if he ran away, he promised to call me (he always did), and that he promised to go back to school to the office to wait for me if anyone from the school found him (which they always did - since he would call me, and I would call the school on another phone, and son would say I am here hiding in these bushes, and I would say Ok, so you are hiding in the bushes near the fence by the swings? so the school knew where to look). Again, no punishment for him. Point is use the IEP for things other than educational also Get creative on how best to help your daughter out, and for her to have the best school experience she can. There are so many ways, and if you get together with her teacher, maybe have a meeting, the teacher can brainstorm with you on ways to improve her day at school, and then you get them put in an IEP so it is there, and to quote my young niece - no one can do takie backs

Good luck with it all I do hope you get the approval for her soon!!!!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

There is a danger factor with most prescribing psychiatrists. They tend to over prescribe too much IMO. Before you or your child take any psychiatric meds, esp. an anti-psychotic for a child, I recommend researching on the internet about the risk to benefit ratio. For many years, other medical doctors treated psychiatrists as outcasts and said they were not real medical doctors. I do think there are some very good shrinks out there who prescribe properly but there are some who will literally drug you to death and I mean literally. I had a long encounter with one such doctor. Fortunately, I don't see this guy anymore.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 11-17-2011 at 11:59 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread