It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User
Has anyone ever recieved SSI from the sickness caused....

... by Mold exposure? We were exposed for about 3 years to 2-3 of the worst ones (but not Black Mold) and the health deterioration from this is a living nightmare. I tried last year for benefits and was, of course, denied. Things are worse now, Dr. has me on strict 20 hour a week work limit, can't shake brain fog, memory loss, fatigue, nerve damage, tooth loss, feet are curling in causing painful nerve tumors on both balls of the feet, hard to walk. Fiance says to see an SSI attorney. Any feedback is quite needed, thanks, JB

Old 11-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Has anyone ever recieved SSI from the sickness caused....

When you tried last year, how far did you appeal before you gave up? How old are you if you don't mind me asking? You said doc has you on a 20 hour per work week. Are you working now?

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 11-17-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Exposure to mold can have devastating consequences on your health. It is important to continue a claim as far as you can go. Did you orginally go through the appeals process? Most claims are denied at the first two levels, and then the precentage of claims are won at the hearing level , people typically obtain a social security Lawyer at this level. It can take at least 2 years to get up to the hearing stage, and anther several months later to know if you won.

Last edited by mscat40; 11-17-2011 at 01:51 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

If you have a recent and substantial work history it would be SSDI you would want to seek out and not SSI. SSI is a welfare based program for those that don't qualify for SSDI due to lack of SS work credits or their SSDI benefit is very low and is supplemented by SSI.

You'd have to have substantial medical documentation to show what it is causing the medical problems (proof of cause and result). This also rules out all other causes of the symptoms.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 11-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

I never did an appeal, we had a suit against the landlord who knew about the leaks from the upstairs bathrooms seeping down between the walls, but told his plumber (who told my Fiance') there was too much cost in fixing it. I'm 57 years old and after I moved into the condo, after 6 months, I started feeling older by the month. Her disabled son almost died twice from bacterial Pneumonia because of a weak Immune System (which the landlord was told before they moved in), so we all spent about 2 1/2-3 years there. The attorney we got did nothing for 18 months but jerk us around, finally skipping town with our $2,500.00 retainer. We went all that time un-treated and any existing health issues any of us had were worsened by this mold. The son had all his teeth removed, I've got only 8 left. The first time I filed was a joke. The docs I saw hardly paid attention to anything I said, like I was crazy. I've been treated for severe anxiety and Depression, plus ADHD, for several years. My doc believed me because she wrote a letter stating how much worse I was getting from being exposed to the mold. I got weakened to where I could not work but 4 or so hours a day and she put this in a letter. They ignored it. That's all I can tell ya'll, we are trying to get another lawyer but no one does mold cases in this area of Triad, N.C.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jackbeanstalk:
mscat40 (11-18-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Are you still living in this mold environment?

Old 11-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

You mentioned a $2500 retainer for the previous lawyer. What was that for?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

I suggest you go with one of the national firms like Allsup. I was very happy with the way they handled my claim.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 11-17-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I'm hoping the attorney you paid a retainer to was for a suit against the landlord.

As for SS there is no retainer for a reputable SS attorney. They do it on contingency for the standard 25% of back pay to a max of $6000. ONLY use a reputable national SS attorney that only does SS. Allsup is a good firm.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

I was thinking the same thing Spine. He also said the attorney skipped town. You really have to be careful.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
(male)

We moved out of the condo within a month of recieving the analysis report. We also went to mold school for the next year or more about getting rid of this-and-that, detoxing and decontaminating, throwing out all our clothes, getting new things to replace old and moldy ones, wheeeewh, what a mess. After we left there, the symptoms stayed, we talked with a well-known law firm who referred us to the dishonest lawyer. He was suppose to be "very familiar" with mold cases. He did nothing to help us, therefore any treatment we should have gotten, whatever medical help, was postponed all that time. After being out of the main sources of toxins, we all 3 have pretty much aquired Chemical Sensitivity Disease. I can't take an anti-biotic without getting severe reactions, we still feel "lost in the fog" of brain warp it puts you in. The CNS does not know the difference between a bout of flu, a 10-mile run, your favorite Aunt being killed, or exposure to stressful mental or enviromental toxicity. I can't remember anything else I needed to answer, I am truly sorry. Thanks to all who answered. It's very hard when you dwell in an ignorant or state-of-denial area about such "said conditions". Tank ya'll, JB

The following user gives a hug of support to Jackbeanstalk:
jgrangran (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbeanstalk View Post
We moved out of the condo within a month of recieving the analysis report. We also went to mold school for the next year or more about getting rid of this-and-that, detoxing and decontaminating, throwing out all our clothes, getting new things to replace old and moldy ones, wheeeewh, what a mess. After we left there, the symptoms stayed, we talked with a well-known law firm who referred us to the dishonest lawyer. He was suppose to be "very familiar" with mold cases. He did nothing to help us, therefore any treatment we should have gotten, whatever medical help, was postponed all that time. After being out of the main sources of toxins, we all 3 have pretty much aquired Chemical Sensitivity Disease. I can't take an anti-biotic without getting severe reactions, we still feel "lost in the fog" of brain warp it puts you in. The CNS does not know the difference between a bout of flu, a 10-mile run, your favorite Aunt being killed, or exposure to stressful mental or enviromental toxicity. I can't remember anything else I needed to answer, I am truly sorry. Thanks to all who answered. It's very hard when you dwell in an ignorant or state-of-denial area about such "said conditions". Tank ya'll, JB
Are you able to work at all now? Are you working at all now? If not, I'd apply for SSDI and not SSI like Spine said unless you don't qualify for SSDI. Curious? When you were denied the 1st time you applied, were you using this same lawyer to represent you...the one who took off with your $2500 retainer? I think your biggest obstacle is do you have the medical records to prove that you are disabled.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 11-18-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Depending on Statute of Limitations you may need to find another attorney who can help with the case against the landlord. Maybe one that works on contingency.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Once you apply for social security it is automatically for both programs, their is not a separate application for SSDI/SSI. once approved social security field office will look into both programs and see which ones you are eligble for. Some people can have both SSI and SSDI at the same time . SSDI generally will pay a person more monthly benefits , due to work credits. It is a shame a attorney ran with your money and did not do his job. I agree with BlueSkies and Spine, a Attorney that only specializes in social security claims is the best way to go. It is reccomended to seek one out after the initial two stages have been a deniel. The third stage in most states are at the hearing level where you go in front of a Adminstrative Law Judge, their is a higher precentage of claims that are won at this level. Medical docuementation will prove the severity of your illness's and duration of symtoms. your condition needs to have lasted at least a year with medical treatment. If you cannot work a Substaniel gainful acitivity , which is for social security , $1000 a month . Social security will see if their is any other job you could do despite disability.
You can go to the Official Social Security Website and type in Blue Book in the search box. It will have a LIsting of impairments under the Adult Section that normally means a approval if all other conditions are met. A persons age sometimes helps too, a person older then 55-60 has a better chance winning because it is harder to find work when disabled or change into a new profession.

Last edited by mscat40; 11-18-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: add on

Old 11-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

My attorney included on my initial app for SS not to consider SSI since I had employer STD and LTD and a spouse earning too much for household income and assets. They do this to avoid a review for SSI if approved for SSDI. Something to consider for anyone applying who has a working spouse and assets which would disqualify them from SSI.

Closed Thread