It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User
Talking Question regarding Family Benefits

Ok, I apparently should have my approval today or Monday, and the money to me by the first week of December (delayed due to Thanksgiving holiday I was told). Yeah!!! I am actually relieved at this point, will be more so when I get the call that it has been approved

Anyhow, I am a single mom to a teenage son. I thought, until I read it a short bit go, that I automatically get my amount, and around half that amount for him. But apparently his isn't automatic. Plus he is on SSI, so that apparently may complicate things slightly (this is all assuming I get SSDI).

For those that have gone through it - how long did it take to get the family benefits, and were those backpayed also? This is just going off the assumption that my sons SSI will stop (as hopefully my benefit plus the family benefit for him will be more than I can get for him to get SSI)...

Thanks, and you guys.... you all rock

Old 11-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Question regarding Family Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMom View Post
Ok, I apparently should have my approval today or Monday, and the money to me by the first week of December (delayed due to Thanksgiving holiday I was told). Yeah!!! I am actually relieved at this point, will be more so when I get the call that it has been approved

Anyhow, I am a single mom to a teenage son. I thought, until I read it a short bit go, that I automatically get my amount, and around half that amount for him. But apparently his isn't automatic. Plus he is on SSI, so that apparently may complicate things slightly (this is all assuming I get SSDI).

For those that have gone through it - how long did it take to get the family benefits, and were those backpayed also? This is just going off the assumption that my sons SSI will stop (as hopefully my benefit plus the family benefit for him will be more than I can get for him to get SSI)...

Thanks, and you guys.... you all rock
hi Blindmom , your going through something that i have gone through with my son, so I hope i can help you.
What social security did to me was this. My son had also recieved SSI benefits when I was awarded SSDI. I was given a appointment from social security to go down there to the local field office after I was approved for SSDI. The S.S .rep asked me a few questions about my son , like Social security number , birthdate , stuff like that, What happened was social security did take my son off SSI and place him on my SSDI record. my son did recieve backpay off my record. It took a month or two for everything to go through , you are correct it is not automatic, social security has to have your sons inforamtion before payment begans. Once my son was placed on my record to get benefits his SSI stopped. The thing is that once your son will be close to turning 18 the SSDI on your record will stop. I had to re apply for my son's SSI benefit. The soonest i could do that was 6 months before he turned 18 , social security did cut him off my SSDI . I reapplied for him to recieve Adult Child's Benefits , that finally went through , so it was only a month without any benefits for my son after he turned 18. He can also get SSI again . It was not fun to have to refile all over again , but that is how social security operates.
Congradulations On your Approval

Last edited by mscat40; 11-18-2011 at 11:58 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: mscat40
BlindMom (11-18-2011), jgrangran (11-20-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
BlindMom (11-18-2011), BlueSkies14 (11-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread