It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User
Entitlement date? And update

Ok, I just phoned my local SS office, and I was approved for SSDI (I am assuming it is SSDI based on the monthly amount I am going to start receiving). My first pay date is the second Wednesday in December, and it is scheduled to go into my account then. Yeah!!! YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!! On the one hand this is a HUGE relief.

But, on the other hand, the lady could not tell me about any backpay. My entitlement date is either June or July 2011. Teach me to wait 3 years before filing. Anyhow, does that date mean the first date I am disabled, or the first date I should start receiving funds? I am hoping it is the first date I will start receiving funds...because then I will get enough backpay to pay the rent I owe, and can hopefully go into the unlawful detainer meeting with the money in hand to pay the back rent I owe.. (just found out I have a court hearing on that on December 2). I did leave a message for my worker, but the lady I spoke with did not know if she was in.... plus i was half crying (dang this whole process is more emotional than I thought.... and I can't fathom what those of you who don't get it in the first 2 stages go through... I am so sorry you guys go through all that for a longer period ).so hopefully she got the important info like my number and name

Thnk you guys again...soo very much.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: Entitlement date? And update

I'm so glad you got approved YEA and thanks for comming back and letting us know Yea Again. Please say in touch and help out others that have to go thru this process. I'm also glad you did win it in the first two stages. Yea

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
BlindMom (11-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
BlindMom (11-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMom View Post
Ok, I just phoned my local SS office, and I was approved for SSDI (I am assuming it is SSDI based on the monthly amount I am going to start receiving). My first pay date is the second Wednesday in December, and it is scheduled to go into my account then. Yeah!!! YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!! On the one hand this is a HUGE relief.

But, on the other hand, the lady could not tell me about any backpay. My entitlement date is either June or July 2011. Teach me to wait 3 years before filing. Anyhow, does that date mean the first date I am disabled, or the first date I should start receiving funds? I am hoping it is the first date I will start receiving funds...because then I will get enough backpay to pay the rent I owe, and can hopefully go into the unlawful detainer meeting with the money in hand to pay the back rent I owe.. (just found out I have a court hearing on that on December 2). I did leave a message for my worker, but the lady I spoke with did not know if she was in.... plus i was half crying (dang this whole process is more emotional than I thought.... and I can't fathom what those of you who don't get it in the first 2 stages go through... I am so sorry you guys go through all that for a longer period ).so hopefully she got the important info like my number and name

Thnk you guys again...soo very much.
It would be the Date Of Onset . If you can remember what date you put on your initial application that your disballity began , that will be it. UNless Social security decides to move the Date Of onset. They sometimes do that , depending on how far back your medical records are. The first 5 months is the waiting period where no benefits are paid , after that on the 6th month you are entitled to benefits. if you had a Lawyer helping you get through the process then he will get paid first. Once you recieve your approval letter and award letter it will tell you why you were approved for benefits and your date of onset. if your date of onset is past 2 years and 5 months you will also be entitled to Medicare benefits , or if not their will be a waiting period. if you have set up Direct Deposit , keep checking your Bank Account, a lot of times your backpay will show up before you get a letter .

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
BlindMom (11-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
BlindMom (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User

Well the disease started in October 2006, the permanent damage to my vision became permanent in January 2007, but I did not apply for SSDI/SSI until December 2010 (I know, I know....but I kept hoping that the scaring could be reversed, or that the vision loss wasn't permanent hehe). It appears they are going off of the December 2010 or January 2011 as the date the disability started. My attorney did say that the entitlement date is the date you were first entitled to actually receive benefits - after the waiting period. Which is either June or July (do not remember what the lady said). I check my bank account every morning anyhow, because money is always so tight, I like to know if something happens, that I can then get reversed if needed (or debit card cancelled if there is a breach, like there was a year ago). Here is hoping I get the backpay by beginning of the week after Thanksgiving Was told they are going to try their hardest, but won't know more for sure until Monday...

The following user gives a hug of support to BlindMom:
mscat40 (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

know how it is confusing how to tell the onset your lawyer will know Yes Mscat40, was right sometimes they figure a different onset date they figured mine a year before I filed. Its really confusing

Old 11-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Max SSDI entitlement date = 1 year prior to the initial application date. The EOD date given by SS after approval can be far in advance of the entitlement date. The entitlement date is the date your benefits (monthly disability payments, 2 years, then medicare) start. Here is the best case scenario if you initially applied in Dec. 2010 even tho on the application, you might have alledged you became disabled in Jan. 2007, IOW your AOD (alleged onset of disability date). SS might agree you were indeed disabled in Jan. 2007. Your 5 months of waiting would be (Feb/March/April/May/June 2007) This would in theory entitle you to start receiving SSDI monthly payments starting from July 2007 to the month and year of your approval date. But since you applied in Dec. 2010, SS will only go back 1 year prior to this date for entitlement. Therefore, Dec. 2009 would be your entitlement date even tho SS agreed you were disabled before this and have satisfied the 5 month waiting period. Now let us say SS approved your claim in Oct. 2011. Backpay months would then be from Dec. 2009 to Oct. 2011. Ofc, if SS gave you a partially favorable decision and gives you a different EOD, everything I have just said changes to accommodate the new EOD.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
BlindMom (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
(female)

I have learned through this that I am far from a patient person hehe

Had I waited for the mail, I would have found 2 different letters from SSA. Both were nearly identical, one for SSDI and one for SSI. Both said I met the guidelines due to the severity of my disability, and my onset date was January 2011. I do not agree with the onset date though, but beggars can't be choosy I suppose. The letter did say also that they have not decided whether I met their non-medical rules, but I am assuming that is really a moot point. I truly did not know you could get SSDI or SSI for non-medical reasons though, so not overly concerned about that point

So now I am curious if I got approved for both (the letters say I do), and if I get SSI also... who knows.... I am just happy to get the SSDI

Old 11-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
(female)

I have another question, if someone maybe knows the answer (if not, I can wait until Monday... have no choice LOL)....

Reading the two notices that I got, one was for SSI and one was for SSDI. Both said I was approved, so it appears I was approved for SSI and SSDI. My onset date is January 2011, so I am assuming the month I was told on the phone for entitlement date is July 2011 (6 months). I know I do not get SSDI until July 2011, and that is when the backpay will be, from July - November (5 months). However, I just had a thought/question - since I was approved for SSI also, should I get SSI for January - June 2011?

I am really hoping so, as I calculated what I will get for the SSDI backpay, minus the lawyer fee, and it will cover the back rent, and power, but that is it... my son really needs clothes (silly teenagers and kids in general just growing and growing hehe) and to be honest, I am down to a single pair of pants and 2 shirts myself (I never buy clothes for myself, and only do so when the ones I have area getting...holey, which these ones are rather close to being). And quite frankly, it would be nice to have a little "buffer". So I am hoping maybe I will also get SSI for January - June... hopefully....

Have a great weekend all!!!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hope you get both because one of then doesn't have a 5 month waiting period and you get medicaid but what I am worried about is they are trying to see if you meet the resource part of it for ssi, like if you youmeet there guildlines as for as recources go thats why they said non medical issue. They look at any acesses. Anyway sounds like things are already looking up for you.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:25 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Jgrangran is right. SSI payment can begin the first month after the month of disability unlike SSDI that has the 5 months of waiting.
Quote:
SSDI Disability benefits for workers and widows usually cannot begin for 5 months after the established onset of the disability. Therefore, Social Security disability benefits will be paid for the sixth full month after the date the disability began. The 5-month waiting period does not apply to individuals filing as children of workers. Under SSI, disability payments may begin as early as the first full month after the individual applied or became eligible for SSI.
I am glad you were approved for both.

You said>>>>>
Quote:
since I was approved for SSI also, should I get SSI for January - June 2011?
I would say from Feb (month after you were deemed disabled) - Nov 2011. I don't quite understand where you got the June 2011 from. I am glad things seem to be working out for you. Have a great weekend.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #11
(female)

Alexandersmama HB UserAlexandersmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
It would be the Date Of Onset . If you can remember what date you put on your initial application that your disballity began , that will be it. UNless Social security decides to move the Date Of onset. They sometimes do that , depending on how far back your medical records are. The first 5 months is the waiting period where no benefits are paid , after that on the 6th month you are entitled to benefits. if you had a Lawyer helping you get through the process then he will get paid first. Once you recieve your approval letter and award letter it will tell you why you were approved for benefits and your date of onset. if your date of onset is past 2 years and 5 months you will also be entitled to Medicare benefits , or if not their will be a waiting period. if you have set up Direct Deposit , keep checking your Bank Account, a lot of times your backpay will show up before you get a letter .
My SS office put my ds's date of onset as when we applied. He only got backpay for 6 months from date of application, not his date of onset.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

When I first got approved I also recieved a letter stating i was approved for the disability part and they had to figure out the income , Social security gave me a appointment to go down to the field office and have a SSI worker figure out the rest. She asked me a lot of questions pertaining to my resources , then told me I could either have SSDI or SSI , I wanted SSDI , then i had to talk to a different SS worker. Sometimes a person can have both at the same time depending on the amount of SSDI awarded.

Closed Thread