It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
(female)

Cmw7305 HB UserCmw7305 HB User
Getting Denied Many Times, Feeling I should give up

Back Story:

I have a condition called Tetralogy of Fallot and Pulmonary Atresia with VSD. Both of these diseases are serious heart defects that I was born with. I was getting SSI from 6 months old until I was 26 years old. SSI cut me off without even a warning or letter. In March 08 I did not get a check, so I went to the SSI agency and they told me I was not eligible to receive SSI. I asked them why didn't you send me a letter months ago, so I could of been prepared for this. They told me they sent a letter, but I never got one. I don't believe they sent one out.

Anyway so the past almost 4 years now, I have been trying to get my SSI back but they have already denied me four times already. Last year I went ALJ to a hearing and the Judge said I was faking having a heart condition. How can you fake being disabled with a serious heart defect. I applied again last year after they turned me down.

Now this year my hearing has not been even in the books yet, so I have to wait another 2 or 3 years. But I read about the Compassionate Allowance Program online last week. It was my first time even hearing about this program. My condition Pulmonary Atresia is on the list that was added in July 2011. I tried to asked SSI about the Program they try to give me the run around, saying I would not be eligible for it. Some days I just feel like giving up and just leaving this world.

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: Cmw7305
BlindMom (11-23-2011), BlueSkies14 (11-23-2011), jgrangran (11-23-2011), mscat40 (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Getting Denied Many Times, Feeling I should give up

Cmw7305, were you seeing a doctor regularly for all those years you were on SSI?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Cmw7305, were you seeing a doctor regularly for all those years you were on SSI?
Yes I been seeing My Heart Doctors all my life and will always have to see my heart doctor. I had 3 open heart surgeries and 2 other related heart surgeries. I know I will have to have another open heart surgery sometime in my 30's. Because I haven't had one since I was 16 years old, I can feel that I get more out of breath and more tired now than I did a few years ago.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Wow, I am so sorry this happened to you esp. if you have been seeing your doctor on a regular basis. Do you think this doc might have put anything in your medical records indicating that you are able to work. Normally, they don't just cut ppl off on disability for no reason without going thru the CDR process 1st. I find this really unusual for them to just abruptly cut you off w/o warning.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Wow, I am so sorry this happened to you esp. if you have been seeing your doctor on a regular basis. Do you think this doc might have put anything in your medical records indicating that you are able to work. Normally, they don't just cut ppl off on disability for no reason without going thru the CDR process 1st. I find this really unusual for them to just abruptly cut you off w/o warning.
Well they did cut me off without a warning, I have been stress ever since. Financially stress, emotionally stress, and physically I am stressed out. I think the stress dealing with SSI these last few years have caused my condition to become worse than it already is. I see the Doctor next week, I go once a year for Heart Checkups. I think my doctor might have put something in my report to make them reject me at my Hearing last year. This Doctor is my new heart doctor that I had for 3 years now. He wanted me to do a Heart Study that at the time was not approved by the FDA. He was pressuring me to do it, I told him I don't want to do a study that hasn't been approved by the FDA. It was like doing a guinea pig type of study. So I think he put in my hearing report that I could do high stress work, which he knows I cannot do. He might have done it because out of spite.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Yes, this is what I am thinking too. The SSA just can't cut you off disability without medical justification from a health care practitioner. Is the doctor you are seeing now supportive of your disability? You know you are unable to work. Does your doctor also think you are unable to do any kind of SGA?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Yes, this is what I am thinking too. The SSA just can't cut you off disability without medical justification from a health care practitioner. Is the doctor you are seeing now supportive of your disability? You know you are unable to work. Does your doctor also think you are unable to do any kind of SGA?
They cut me off in 2008, I had another Doctor at that time. She didn't want to help me write a letter to SSI about my Disablity. I had to beg her to do it, she was my doctor since I was born. They cut me off because they said I didnt comply with VR when I was 19 or 20. Which was a lie because I did comply with VR at that time.

This Doctor I am seeing now is the one that put I could work a high stress job because of the Guinea pig study he wanted me to do. That affected my AJL hearing I had in late 2010.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

What is VR? Vocational Rehabilitation

Old 11-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Have you ever been evaluated by a vocational rehabilitation counselor? You said you did comply. What did they say?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
(female)

The counselor I had back in the early 2000's left a long time ago. I have a new VR counselor now they never heard of SSI turning down someone because of that. I think it was just an excuse to cut me off for whatever reason they had. I don't think they will give me the honest truth on why they just cut me off without any type of warning. But I been trying but its been hard for me these past few years, I just feel so depressed. I feel I shouldnt even live because I am sick and tired of being turned down by them and constantly being label disabled but not disabled enough.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Were you getting the max SSI for a single person....$674 per month? I assume you lost medicaid and SNAP also, correct?

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 11-23-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Were you getting the max SSI for a single person....$674 per month? I assume you lost medicaid and SNAP also, correct?
Well when I was getting SSI it was back in 07 and 2 months in 08 before they cut me off. But in February 08 it was 573 or something like that. But I was getting the full amount at the time. I didnt lose medicaid which was strange, I still have that. Thank Goodness I do because If I didn't have that I would of been died by now. I wouldnt have been able to afford my medications. What is SNAP?

Last edited by Cmw7305; 11-23-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
cmw7305, Do you have a lawyer helping you? Man what ashame and Shame on ssa. If you give up you give in to them. If you can't work then fight you have nonthing to loose by fighting at least you might get it. I would try to find a good lawyer to help you. May I please ask your age right now. Do you have skills at office type jobs ? sems like medcation would interfer with conceration and things like that. I'm sorry I would at least fight because if you can't work you have no choice keep on fighting its a long process it is for everyone in your case seems like it would be cut in dry but its ssa. Sorry for your dilema. Pleas know people do care about you and just keeping fighting.
Yes I do have a lawyer but it is taking so long these past 3 1/2 years almost 4 years. I am just so sick and stressful right now. Luckily I have somewhere to live which I stay with my mom who is also disabled. I am 29 years old about to be 30 in a couple of months. They said my age and me getting an Associate's degree was a factor of turning me down as well. What was I suppose to do if I didnt get my Financial Aid money back than I would of been in a mess. That really how I survived financially, but now Im not going to school. I don't receive any type of money or anything. Its like really getting to me now.

When I went to my AJL hearing back in 2010 the Vocational expert told the judge I can do office jobs skills. But my representive at the time did not even cross examine the VE lady, and the judge took her word anyways over mines. So now I dump the representive and got me a Disablity lawyer after my hearing.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

cmw7305, Do you have a lawyer helping you? Man what ashame and Shame on ssa. If you give up you give in to them. If you can't work then fight you have nonthing to loose by fighting at least you might get it. I would try to find a good lawyer to help you. May I please ask your age right now. Do you have skills at office type jobs ? sems like medcation would interfer with conceration and things like that. I'm sorry I would at least fight because if you can't work you have no choice keep on fighting its a long process it is for everyone in your case seems like it would be cut in dry but its ssa. Sorry for your dilema. Pleas know people do care about you and just keeping fighting.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #15
(female)

Yes I do have a lawyer right now, in the past I had a representive. I am 29 years old and will be 30 in two more months. I had a Vocational expert (VE) at my AJL hearing back in 2010, she told the judge that I could do an simple office job. I told them I could not at the time, but my representive at the time didn't even cross examine the VE lady. So the judge took her word for it, I guess since she thought I appear healthy on the outside I should be the same way on the inside.

Last edited by Cmw7305; 11-23-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Closed Thread