It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: SSDI morphing into SS Retirement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMom View Post
This does not pertain to my situation at all currently, I am just curious.

My dad is on SSDI, and has been for a few years. He had an accident at work that caused him to be disabled. He went to vocational rehabilitation, but it didn't work out, and after appeals, he finally won at the ALJ level.

On the drive down to the SS office yesterday, he told me that his lawyer had told him when he reaches retirement age (and he is close, I think in March he can switch to retirement, as he will be 63?), he gets a large amount of money. I am curious if this is true on a general principal? I don't see how, I thought once you reach retirement age, your benefits just sort of morph over from SSDI to retirement (and yes, he is getting SSDI and not SSI).

And I know whatever the answer is today, by the time I am there in 20 some odd years, things may very well change, so not looking for me, just curious

Tell your dad to stay on SSDI until SSNRA (social security normal retirement age) if he can. 63 would be early retirement. Take a look at this healthboards thread.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=876911&page=2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
My suggestion is to stay on SSDI until SSNRA. If you choose early retirement @ age 62, your monthly benefit will be decreased. I would only consider early retirement if they terminate disability benefits.

* Plus if you accept early retirement, it will make you ineligible for medicare until age 65. Definitely, stay on disability until your NRA.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 11-23-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User
SSDI morphing into SS Retirement...

My dad is on SSDI, and has been for a few years. He had an accident at work that caused him to be disabled. He went to vocational rehabilitation, but it didn't work out, and after appeals, he finally won at the ALJ level.

On the drive down to the SS office yesterday, he told me that his lawyer had told him when he reaches retirement age (and he is close, I think in March he can switch to retirement, as he will be 63?), he gets a large amount of money. I am curious if this is true on a general principal? I don't see how, I thought once you reach retirement age, your benefits just sort of morph over from SSDI to retirement (and yes, he is getting SSDI and not SSI).

And I know whatever the answer is today, by the time I am there in 20 some odd years, things may very well change, so not looking for me, just curious

Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

I don't know why my post shows up before yours since you started the thread. Weird? LOL

Old 11-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
On the drive down to the SS office yesterday, he told me that his lawyer had told him when he reaches retirement age (and he is close, I think in March he can switch to retirement, as he will be 63?), he gets a large amount of money.
Large amount of money from what? Are you talking about a 401K or pension from a former employer? He can still get this and remain on SSDI, altho there will be some tax implications.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Once SSDI morphs in SS retirement, nothing really changes. In retirement, you will simply continue to receive benefits until death and you no longer have to worry about CDR's and termination from SSDI b/c SS says you are now able to work.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User

Oh I have no clue....he just said the retirement from SS, and a large lump sum, and it just did not make sense to me. He sees his lawyer next week I think. No clue if it is a pension, he already gets one of those also...so no telling with my dad..

Thanks for the info though...will use it for me on the retirement age thing, though I have a long ways to go....

Old 11-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

For starters, you have to define "retirement age". If he retires at 63, he gets about half of what he would if he waited until "full retirement age" which should be age 66. He can continue to get SSDI until full retirement age. Then it becomes regular SS retirement benefits. The difference is that the money comes from 2 different programs administered by Social Security.

A lump sum is most likely from a retirement account he had at his job of some kind of settlement over his injury from work through Workman's Comp. Once injured at work and if you can prove you lost function permanently(which his doc probably did for him)then he gets a check for that permanent disability. I lost about 10% of the use of my shoulder after an injury and I was paid a certain amount. Perhaps the lawyer had them delay payment or put it in an account to make it grow for his retirement.

But don't rush into retirement as you can lose a ton of money for the rest of his life if he applies too soon. Social Security can give you the date he reaches "full retirement age" as well as the amount he would get them as opposed to earlier. In fact, if his wife earned more than he did, he can apply as a spouse at full retirement age and get one half of what she gets as long as they were married more than 10 years.

You have to dig this stuff up by yourself....don't count on Social Security to tell how to get more money out of them.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Quote:

I have been told by my atty and read in here, SSDI will 'morph' into your SS retirement. If he pulls his yearly SSA report, it shows you what you would receive if you get SS at retirement at the various years and it also shows you your SSDI amount.

As much as I have to come to understand in here, once he gets his SSDI then become retirement eligible the figure he is getting as SSDI (which is usually about $200 more on average) will remain the same.

But I am not certain if there is a difference if you declare at 63 vs 66. Just from my point of view (and nothing to back it up) I see no reason to declare SS retirement early.. there is nothing to gain.

Understand, I am strickly speaking of SSDI to SS retirement. If you are talking about a retirement pension of some sort then he would need to speak with his financial advisor.

Last edited by Jacki345; 11-23-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Yep, always stay on SSDI until SSNRA. You come out ahead financially no matter how you look at it. The only way I would consider SSR is if they denied my SSDI and I was in financial dire straights and could not wait to appeal the decision.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Once SSDI morphs in SS retirement, nothing really changes. In retirement, you will simply continue to receive benefits until death and you no longer have to worry about CDR's and termination from SSDI b/c SS says you are now able to work.
Does this mean you will have the same pay ?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Yes, exact same pay.

Closed Thread