It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User
Just some advice....

In another post, a user of this message board suggested that those frustrated by the wait for benefits, or those who just didn't want to wait, make up a mental illness. The gist is that this person did that, and got approved based on that, and not the true disability they claimed in their original paperwork.

I truly hope no one takes this advice.

The United States Department of Justice actively prosecutes anyone they know of who has attempted to defraud SSA for benefits, either OASDI or SSI. If you google "punishment for defrauding social security" you will be shown a lot of links from .gov addresses and other websites that outline soem of the punishments.

One link I clicked on led me to pdf document on the justice.gov website, dated November 2004. Here is a cut and paste of what is said in part:

The Social Security benefits programs are
essential to the economic well-being of millions
of Americans, and fraud is a serious problem
within the Title II benefits programs. Millions of
dollars are lost each year from fraud perpetrated
against SSA by unscrupulous claimants and/or
their representatives, and prosecution of Social
Security fraud remains one of the most important
priorities of the United States Attorneys' Offices,
in cooperation with the Social Security

So I really do hope no one thinks of taking the other posters advice and defraud the SSA. Plus, they have ways of finding out that you are lying or lied, and the federal government tends to have a lot more resources to prosecute you then you have to defend yourself. Plus seriously, the stress is not worth it

The following user gives a hug of support to BlindMom:
jgrangran (12-01-2011)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlindMom For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (12-02-2011), jgrangran (12-01-2011), MOnsterpete (12-02-2011), mscat40 (12-02-2011), pupcake (12-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: Just some advice....

I think your right, People need to be honest always because really like you said they are a big brother kind of thing so they know are will know with all the tech stuff they have to hopefully protect the ones truely disabled, That thing about karma to. I would just always be honest and then you wont have to worry so much. Also how do you cut and paste good job on that one.?I hope your having a goodnight.

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
BlindMom (12-01-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
BlindMom (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User

To cut and paste, you highlight what you want to cut/copy (for me, cut and paste is the same as copy and paste when referring to items you find online). Then right click, you get a menu, one of which is Copy. Chose that. That copies whatever you have highlighted into a "clipboard" on the computer (btw - this is for windows, if you are a mac user, no clue ). Then go to where you want to put the information, and right click there, and choose paste. And voila, it is copied over However, some websites do have security in place so you can not do that. I've only come across one, so it generally is not an issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlindMom For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

I've said this ever since I joined this board and allot of people never believed me I hope people will start to believe that there are scammers out there. They are trying to get ssi because you have to have a work record to get ssdi. That's why it takes so lompng to get ssi/ssdi these people are taking time and money away form the people who are truly disabled.

The Following User Says Thank You to vann04 For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann04 View Post
I've said this ever since I joined this board and allot of people never believed me I hope people will start to believe that there are scammers out there. They are trying to get ssi because you have to have a work record to get ssdi. That's why it takes so lompng to get ssi/ssdi these people are taking time and money away form the people who are truly disabled.
I guess it's just in my personality to want to believe people are honest. But after the recent posts described above...I believe you now. It really is a shame, and it makes me angry.

The Following User Says Thank You to pme For This Useful Post:
MOnsterpete (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

pme, I'm a lot like you I believe the goodness in people and try to look to the good in people I think if someone tries to file for ssdi or ssi and they are not disabled then maybe there is some kind mential illness in there somewhere because this process put you thru so much stress. if you don't have mental illness at the start of the process you will at the end LOL Good Luck at your hearing let us all know how you and your lawyer think it went. Good luck ,Good Luck Good Luck

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
pme (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pme View Post
I guess it's just in my personality to want to believe people are honest. But after the recent posts described above...I believe you now. It really is a shame, and it makes me angry.
Thank you I use to work in Detroit and I have seen so much I have seen party store owners let peoplel by beer and wine and smokes with food stamps. I have seen people faking that they are blind and beg for money just so they can buy drugs or beer. I've seen it all. That's why people try to get ssi using mental because physical is hard to fake .

Last edited by vann04; 12-02-2011 at 06:10 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to vann04:
jgrangran (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

I think some people don't know any different.

Imagine the coincidence: Think of how MANY families out there where both parents and at least one child is on SSI.

Really? Perhaps some exaggeration there?

Pup

Old 12-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann04 View Post
Thank you I use to work in Detroit and I have seen so much I have seen party store owners let peoplel by beer and wine and smokes with food stamps. I have seen people faking that they are blind and beg for money just so they can buy drugs or beer. I've seen it all. That's why people try to get ssi using mental because physical is hard to fake .
Sadly, this is very true what Vann wrote. I try not to get too involved in threads like this too much but I know of one woman personally who faked mental illness and received SSI at level 1. I do think most ppl are honest but there are many ppl who are scamming the system and some get away with it for a lifetime. I really don't know if there is a way to ever fully combat this. Just as there are ppl in society that commit crimes, hurt other ppl, and do other bad things. I know in my own personal life, I just avoid ppl like this.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

The worst thing about those who fake a mental illness is that they are making it one big joke> This is what bothers me the most, and agers me, because their are truely people who suffer from Mental illness , and it is very, very severe. To make a mockery over this is very disturbing. Those people have had to go see Dr's in other to get docuementation so SSA would approve them, not only defrauding SSA the Dr's too. It is disgusting . I do have several mental health issues have had them for years , even in childhood, but fought to keep my head up, things have not been good for a very long time , I know it was not fake nor was I ever trying to scam . I think what happens though in some people , they get onto SSI and get better, and even work under the table so it can't be caught, during a review they act like things are bad with them jsut to continue benefits. That little bit of money goes a long way in these people, they don't care . As long as they get their monthly checks they are happy. those are the people that need to be caught . I actually have reported my own brother who is on SSI and works , he is capable, but I found out it is harder for SSA to follow up on these people. All they have to do is say the right things and benefits will continue. Personally I would not want to try and live off SSI, it is so little you get to live in poverty the rest of your life on SSI, that is no way I would want to live. I agree that SSI is messed up , SSA should do a better job at finding out those Frauds and knocking them off SSI forever.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
jgrangran (12-02-2011)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (12-02-2011), jgrangran (12-02-2011), pme (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

This is a very good post Mscat. I have also struggled with mental health problems for over 20 years now. Things got so bad at one point in my life about 5 years ago that I attempted suicide, something I said I would never do or try. If the mental health problem is severe and you can't find relief thru meds, therapy, or other means, the pain can become so unbearable until it sadly causes many ppl to end their lives. I don't like ppl making jokes either about ppl with mental health problems because I know what the pain is like firsthand and so do you.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
pme (12-02-2011)
Closed Thread