It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: working with a disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl824 View Post
I am not sure if his emplyer offers short or long term disability
Quote:
Five states require employers to provide short-term disability. Hawaii, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island mandate most employers provide 26 weeks of coverage. In California, employers are obligated to offer 52 weeks.
STD, aka sick leave, is provided at no cost to the employee (I think). You have to buy the LTD (it is optional). If your husband does have LTD coverage, he can look at old paycheck stubs and see this deduction. I was paying about $30 / month for LTD coverage. My company provided one whole year of STD, a portion at 100% pay and the remainder at 60%. The # of months paid at 100% depended on your years of service. Due to a technicality when I went out sick on STD, I had over 8 months at 100% pay and 6 months at 60% pay. By the time my STD ran out, I had been approved for LTD, so no lapse in income while I applied for SSDI. Anyone working now who is offered group LTD and decides to not take it is doing a very foolish, risky thing esp. if you have a family to support, moreso if it is a one family income.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

STD/LTD can be employer paid or employee paid or a combination of each contributing.

My husband's current employer pays 100% of the premium for STD and LTD.

My employer paid 100% of the cost of STD, provided a basic LTD plan and employees could buy-up to better coverage (which I did).

The trend in STD and LTD, as with medical insurance, has been coat shifting to the employee. More and more employers are pushing the cost of STD to the employee be it a standard group employer plan or something like Aflac / Colonial in which the employee always pays 100% of the plan BUT it's a plan the employee can keep if he/she changes jobs. My husband kept his Aflac from his prior employer and can use it and his current employer's STD together.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #18
(female)

jl824 HB User

I know he has disability ins with aflac. It would be $1000 a mo for 2 yrs. The problem with this is he would have to pay the full amount for health ins. Right now his employer pays half. There is no way we could pay the full amount.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #19
(female)

jl824 HB User

he has accident disability ins with aflac. This would be covered because his amputation was due to an accident

Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #20
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You have to read the policy carefully. Accident coverage will likely not cover this need to be off work.

An Accident policy under AFLAC (or simliar individual Accident policies by other similar companies) covers a benefit for the actual accident AT THE TIME of the accident, not years later. I've seen a sample AFLAC policy that says "within 90 days of the accident". If his amputation were to happen now due to an accident last week, then under AFLAC there is an amount payable for the accident, per day in the hospital, and per dismemberment (an amount defined for amputations)

Accident insurance is NOT a Short Term Disability benefit, Short Term Disability pays the person a weekly benefit of a defined amount for the period elected. My husband chose $500/wk for 12 wk and then he has a Long Term Disability individual policy we each bought through our financial planner and his kicks in after 90 days/12 wk out of work.

AFLAC offers Accident, Illness, and Short Term Disability policies (along with a few other types). Accident covers an accident that happens in the current time period (not in the past), Illness covers things like Heart Attack and Stroke (defined conditions, not all Illness types, and not in the past), and Short Term Disability is a weekly benefit payable if unable to work due to illness or injury currently (not in the past).

Best thing to do is pull out the policy and read over it, then let me know if you have any questions.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

@jl824, Let's say your husband came down with the flu and was sick for 2 weeks. During a brief period when he is unable to work due to an illness, is he then totally without any income whatsoever? You asked this original question?
Quote:
My question being if he could apply for ssdi while he is still working or does he need to be off work completely before he does this?
The answer is he has to stop working. If he doesn't and files a claim for SSDI, SS will deny the claim. It sounds to me (from what you have said) like he can continue to work but it is just getting harder and harder.

Question? How much longer do you think can he continue to struggle to work like he is currently doing before he finally gives out? I should have actually opted for LTD starting in 2006 after spending a month in a mental hospital and being off work over 6 months on STD. It was actually suggested to me by HR but I fought my way back into the workforce only to collapse about 2 years again later. If your husband can hold on and work for a few more years, now is the time the two of you must do some critical planning for the day may come no matter how hard he wants to, working becomes impossible.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
SpineAZ (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
(female)

jl824 HB User

In April of this year he had a cyst removed from the back of his knee caused from his prothesis and he was on state disability and Aflac accident disability. He was off work for 3 mo and Aflac paid $1000 mo. He had the same operation last year and they also paid. It all depended on how it was worded on the paperwork sent to Aflac. Maybe I am not understanding what you are saying. I am going to look over the policy. Thankyou for your help!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #23
Facilitator
(female)

What state do you live in? Only a few states have state disability and it's all different so it helps me gague his benefits.

I'm guessing his AFLAC is some type of Short Term Disability or Illness or Accident & Illness plan combo. Perhaps older Accident plans with AFLAC paid in later years for old accidents.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #24
Inactive
(male)

Yeah Spine, it sounds to me like STD thru Aflac.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
(female)

jl824 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
What state do you live in? Only a few states have state disability and it's all different so it helps me gague his benefits.

I'm guessing his AFLAC is some type of Short Term Disability or Illness or Accident & Illness plan combo. Perhaps older Accident plans with AFLAC paid in later years for old accidents.
We live in Calif. I am looking at the policy now, it is Accidental/Disability Ins. He took this policy out in 1996.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #26
Facilitator
(female)

California is generous in terms of their state short term disability plan known as CASDI (California State Disability Insurance). The benefit is 55% to a max of somewhere above $800/wk (current benefit maximum can be found on www.edd.gov. Unlike the other states that have state disability (NJ, NY, HI, RI and PR), CASDI lasts up to 52 weeks (most other states max out at 26 wk).

And the word Disability in his AFLAC policy is clear, it's a plan that provides BOTH Accident (actual defined incident and related care within defined time period) and Disability (period of time unable to work which can occur multiple times).

If he went out last April he may only be entitled to X amount of weeks of CASDI and/or AFLAC within a year. For example, if he went out of work 4/6/11 and returned to work 6/5/11 he used 8 weeks (I'm rounding here, not looking at exact days in that period). If he were to go out of work 3/10/12 CASDI could have a provision that "since you used 8 wk of benefits from 4/6/11 through 6/5/11, you have 46 wk of eligibility for benefits remaining". AFLAC may have a similar provision in his specific policy. The reason to know this is to consider carefully when to go out of work (if he can hold on until he has his full eligibility period available again). Obviously if there is a health crisis going out sooner is fine, you just have to know you may not have a full set of eligibility period.

As BlueSkies mentioned, the key is to knowing what you can afford if there is a possibility he can't continue working. Having been in the disability insurance business, we bought our home not based on the mortgage amount the bank approved us for, but instead on the ability to pay the mortgage on one income. We don't like much debt. So when I did go out on disability nearly 3 yr ago we knew we could survive, and my husband was even unemployed for a 6 mo period during the last 3 yr and we are able to pay a our bills while carrying a small amount of credit card debt at 0% (still doesn't sit well with me but I've learned to accept it).

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (02-24-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #27
(female)

jl824 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
California is generous in terms of their state short term disability plan known as CASDI (California State Disability Insurance). The benefit is 55% to a max of somewhere above $800/wk (current benefit maximum can be found on www.edd.gov. Unlike the other states that have state disability (NJ, NY, HI, RI and PR), CASDI lasts up to 52 weeks (most other states max out at 26 wk).

And the word Disability in his AFLAC policy is clear, it's a plan that provides BOTH Accident (actual defined incident and related care within defined time period) and Disability (period of time unable to work which can occur multiple times).

If he went out last April he may only be entitled to X amount of weeks of CASDI and/or AFLAC within a year. For example, if he went out of work 4/6/11 and returned to work 6/5/11 he used 8 weeks (I'm rounding here, not looking at exact days in that period). If he were to go out of work 3/10/12 CASDI could have a provision that "since you used 8 wk of benefits from 4/6/11 through 6/5/11, you have 46 wk of eligibility for benefits remaining". AFLAC may have a similar provision in his specific policy. The reason to know this is to consider carefully when to go out of work (if he can hold on until he has his full eligibility period available again). Obviously if there is a health crisis going out sooner is fine, you just have to know you may not have a full set of eligibility period.

As BlueSkies mentioned, the key is to knowing what you can afford if there is a possibility he can't continue working. Having been in the disability insurance business, we bought our home not based on the mortgage amount the bank approved us for, but instead on the ability to pay the mortgage on one income. We don't like much debt. So when I did go out on disability nearly 3 yr ago we knew we could survive, and my husband was even unemployed for a 6 mo period during the last 3 yr and we are able to pay a our bills while carrying a small amount of credit card debt at 0% (still doesn't sit well with me but I've learned to accept it).

I understand. Thankyou so much for your knowlege and helpfulness. We will take all of this into consideration.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #28
Inactive
(male)

Good luck jl824. Hope everything turns out ok for you guys. Careful planning and pre-planning can make the entire process so much easier. SSDI is a PITA as anyone here who has been approved can attest to, but it does work. I was approved in Aug. of 2011. It took me about 20 months. Since approval, it has been smooth sailing since...not a problem 1.

*Use SpineAZ here. She can help you with a lot of the technical aspects of the disability process.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 02-25-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Reply Reply