It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #61
(female)

footny HB Userfootny HB Userfootny HB User
Re: What do you say when people ask "What do you do?"

Thank you all so much for your support. A few weeks ago my Mother hired her friends brother to do some work around the house, I walk outside to get in my car and I say hello and kept walking. he says Where do you work? I was so annoyed. I said I am on disability I am going to PT. I then told my parents to never let this man do work in this house again. So he lost a client.

I am over the you look fine comments. I am also on LTD so I have to worry about them, my lawyer is constantly telling me to take a buy out.

I have been paying taxes since I am a kid also. I say I am not on vacation, I am on disability and I am not on medicaid. People are stupid, they have no clue until something happens to someone they know or themselves. I pray we all get better and nobody else has to suffer like all of us.

The following user gives a hug of support to footny:
pixie1985 (05-10-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to footny For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (06-20-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #62
(female)

Jeneyefer HB User

"i'm a homeschooling mom. What's *your* super power?"

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeneyefer For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (06-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #63
(female)

*erica* HB User

Thank you SO much for this post! I get asked what I do all the time and it just makes me feel so discouraged and frustrated. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the responses. My response to people when they ask me is that I'm a housewife. The women are always jealous and the men say it sure would be nice to have dinner ready and a clean house when I got off from work, lol! I play pretend that I spend my days shopping and doing my nails as opposed to laying in bed all week. I enjoy the positive responses I get from people and a girl can dream right? lol

The following user gives a hug of support to *erica*:
SpineAZ (06-23-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #64
(female)

Dortopia HB User

I think the question an "asker" would be the sorriest for ever asking is if we honestly answered them when they say, "How are you today?" or "How was your holiday?". I've learned most people don't really want to know, it's just a cultural habit to ask this, and everyone is supposed to say "Fine", or "I'm okay".

Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #65
(female)

kye021 HB User

I simply tell people that I write, even though I haven't been able to write for well over a year. I really hate those questions. The worst is that my partner works and is constantly asked what I do. Depending on how close she is with the person she'll tell them enough but sometimes people make comments that allude to the fact that they wished they didn't have to work. Yeah, wish for all the physical and mental pain that prevents me from working. I may only be 26 but my body does not feel that way. I served in the military for 3 yrs and received an honorable discharge because of my medical issues. I'm hardly lazy. Sorry for the rant I'm on edge. I have my hearing on Monday and I'm too anxious

Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #66
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Depending on who is doing the asking, you can tailor your answer to what you feel comfortable telling people given the situation. For example, you might tell them you consult (in many different areas); that you're independently wealthy; or that you work for the Lord . Alternatively, you might just simply state that it's really not worth getting into, or that truly, it's none of his/her business!! Then, in that uncomfortable second, quickly deflect the attention to them by adding, "And, WHY do you ask?" AGAIN, it all depends on your personality, on who's asking you, for what purpose, and what you're comfortable saying. Obviously, if it's a valid reason like you're taking out a loan at the bank, you simply say "I'm disabled, and I receive $X monthly in SSD or private disability insurance." You don't need to state the reason for your disability.

However, NEVER be embarrassed about who you are, or what you do, or are no longer able to do for a living. If you're disabled and unable to work, it's really between you and your doctor about your health. I find that in most cases, the person doing the asking is an outright stranger, and really are not interested in YOU, or genuinely a concerned philanthropist looking to help you pay your bills!! Usually, I find that the person asking is just rude and being nosy.... Especially, if you don't know or just met the person, and are unlikely to see them again... It's just them demonstrating poor manners.

I don't usually get asked about working or my source of income. Instead, I occasionally get the "Oh, did you hurt/break your leg?" question because I use a cane. It's the only real outward sign of my disability that is openly visible to others. To those people, say the cashier at the gas station, I sometimes just sort of nod vaguely in agreement with them... Or, I will shock and silence them by telling the real reason why I use a cane, saying "No, Advanced Cancer." This usually seems to do the trick since I'm still a relatively young guy. They don't know what to say, and you can kind of hear, in that moment of awkward silence for them, that they were sorry they asked you!!

Take Care and Good Luck,
CancerDad

Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #67
(male)

tommyvegas HB User

Hello,

When I get this question, I usually say, "As little as possible" just to get a second to figure out how I want to respond, then it's either I was in IT and that I'm on a sort of Hiatus right now. Sometimes I say I just work on the internet. Nobody needs to really get too detailed, if they do, I turn it around on them and let them do the talking. I switch it up and act as though I'm very interested in what they do, people like to talk about themselves.

Last edited by mod85; 06-08-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Closed Thread