It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User
Help With Neighbor !

Hello All. I wanted to ask advice for my neighbor. She is like 45 with RA. She with my wife as a housekeeper and has been struggling the last couple of years with her hands all gnarled up. My wife helps her all she can but the place is trying to push her out since she is slower than the rest. She home on short term due to an operation on one hand because of pain. She really can't go back and they don't want her. She is applying for any aid but she has a 401k (22 years there not much over minimum wage) that's barring her from all kinds of help..Any one facing or has faced this issue ? What are her options ? Suggestions ? Thanks..God bless

Last edited by HisKid1973; 03-22-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User
Re: Help With Neighbor !

Is RA Rheumatoid Arthritis? If so, has she applied for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User

Yes, Rheumatoid Arthritis..Yes she has inquired.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

You said she has inquired. I take this to mean she has not actually applied yet. She is definitely fully insured for SSDI even if the job was not much over min. wage for all those years. I assume no money under the table work and FICA taxes were taken out all those years of working. IMHO, she definitely qualifies for SSDI like Sunni said and I would start the process ASAP. It could take a while before she can get approval. Can she survive in the meantime off savings or dip into her 401K even tho there might be some tax implications until she can get approved for SSDI? Make sure she uses a lawyer.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
(female)

stepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisKid1973 View Post
Hello All. I wanted to ask advice for my neighbor. She is like 45 with RA. She with my wife as a housekeeper and has been struggling the last couple of years with her hands all gnarled up. My wife helps her all she can but the place is trying to push her out since she is slower than the rest. She home on short term due to an operation on one hand because of pain. She really can't go back and they don't want her. She is applying for any aid but she has a 401k (22 years there not much over minimum wage) that's barring her from all kinds of help..Any one facing or has faced this issue ? What are her options ? Suggestions ? Thanks..God bless
Also to consider if the state she lives in has State Disability. I know some States do like Calif. Does she have any family to help?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I agree with the others, she needs to apply for SSDI as soon as possible. She can either cal the 1-800-772- 1213 number and ask for a application packet or she can go down to the local social security office and start the process. She could also start her application on the main SSA site, but that might be difficult because of her RA. She will need names and address of all the Dr's she has seen and are treating her for her condition. Plus phone numbers and medications she is taking. their are many othe forms she will need to fill out too.
Once she is done she needs to mail the application packet to social security then it goes to the disability determination services. they are the ones who look at her appplication and make a decision. It is not unusual to get a deniel a couple of times, then most people seek out a Lawyer who works on social security claims to assist for the hearing stage. She should keep appealing if she is denied. Not start over.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User

Thanks for getting back. Her short term disability lasts so long at work and then she has to go back or be jobless. I guess the whole issue is she can't get any"welfare" like help if she doesn't return. Her only option is to cash in her 401k and live of that. You loose like 30% right off he bat. Her mom is in a nursing home with alzheimer's and her sister lives with her BF. She has a friend who rents a nice apt. to her for $450. So you can have a 401k and still apply ?

Last edited by HisKid1973; 03-25-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
(female)

Leasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB User

She should file for SSDI ASAP !!! MY mother was about 46 when she was diagnosed with RA and her doctor wrote a note to SSA and she did her application over the phone, and she actually got her check in the mail before she got her letter saying she was approved. RA is a horrible disease. I have OA all over my body and I am in a LOT of pain, but I know my pain will never be like what my Mother had to endure.

Leasy

Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User

Here's the latest. Tomorrow she is going to a friends house and the SSA is going to call her there for a phone interview since she only has a cell phone. The doc that operated on her hand can't believe she was still working. She has two Doc's who will support her.. What all goes on with a phone interview?
Thanks..GBY BTW she is 55.

Last edited by HisKid1973; 03-26-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Quote:
Here's the latest. Tomorrow she is going to a friends house and the SSA is going to call her there for a phone interview since she only has a cell phone. The doc that operated on her hand can't believe she was still working. She has two Doc's who will support her.. What all goes on with a phone interview?
It sounds to me like she will be applying for SSDI by phone.
That is what I did. And here is how it went for me:

In my case, when I called SSA originally, they made the appt (day/time) to call me back. When they called (and they were timely on their calling me back) they walk you thru the application verbally. (As she answers the questions they are typing it out) She will need to have all her doctors names, address's and phone numbers & what each doctor is treating her for; Plus, she needs to have a list of all her medications & the dosages.

She needs to have all her medical issues/illnesses readily at hand as well.

They will type what she tells them, send it to her to make sure that is what she said. and if there are changes, call them back to get them corrected.

Have her get the person's name; Get an expand-a-file from an office supply to keep all this stuff in one place. Keep anything and everything that pertains to her SSDI case in there ie all correspondence. (I took notes of what they asked me and what I told them while I was on the phone) With RA that may be difficult.

Good luck to her
Hugs,

Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
The phone interview is what will fininsh off her application. So what she has not told them yet, should be told to the interviewer. In addidition to her Dr;s information and medications she will need to tell the interviewer aout what her typical day is like, what she can and cannot do and how limiting things are for her. Id some of the medications she takes makes her loopy or drowsy make sure she lets them know that too. She probably takes pain medications and some of those can be very powerful, that would limit her activites right there. SSA wants to know everything about how disabling her condition is and details answers so hopefully she can tell the interviewer all these things and with her DR's support be able to obtain SSDI right away.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Don't cash in the 401K. It's not worth it in the end. It's subject to a penalty and to ordinary income tax. If they offer Short Term Disability do they also offer Long Term Disability? She needs to make sure she has good documentation by her doctor of all her RA symptoms, treatments, medications, functional limits, etc. If I may ask, and perhaps I missed this, do you know her age?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User

Thanks for the comments. I'll hear how it went tomorrow. She is/was helped by a nurse where she works. As for the 401k, she has no other way to survive. She has to return to work in three weeks unless the doctor has other plans. There is no way she
can return..It is a church run retirement home not a big business. She is 55

Last edited by HisKid1973; 03-27-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: .

Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I'd still check to be sure if they offer Long Term Disability. 401K is not something she can loose in a bankruptcy, for example, and it's key to her retirement. If she has any family that can help during this time, she'd be better of repaying them later if she is awarded.

Please know that her SS may be quite low. She'd have to be able to live on 1/3 to 1/2 of what she makes now. So is there any alternate employment she feels she can do? And maybe the church can find her a social service that will evaluate what programs she may be eligible for that exclude the 401K. If it's worth $40,000 she'll get maybe $20,000 out of it in the end, and this means holding back a HUGE portion to pay her tax liability as she has to claim the value as ordinary income.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User

I guess her and her nurse friend/helper know all the details and will proceed. Her family
isn't able to help. She had people helping her do her job..

Reply Reply