It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User
Re: Without a job, how do you spend your days?

Kewl idea Gayle. I was never good at clothes - (coz I never practiced) but that is a great way to help those in need. Maybe if I ever completely convert my 'office' into a office and not half bedroom/storage and half office I will really give it a try at crafts again. Aweee.. just the thought of making things again makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Ohhh!. Hobo purses/bags can be a simple pattern too.

I would really love to take up oil painting again.. that is also something one can do and stop when the pain kicks in or time to rest is clearly needed.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User

hi gayle --- you are so right --- people could be busy busy helping out schools, hospitals and charities. school nurses need hats/mitten for those of you who live in northern climates -- especially in areas where economical difficuties occur; hospitals try to gather baby hats/blankets/kits etc so that every mother or family goes home with goodies at least for the start of the baby's life; schools need READERS or LISTENERS as I do believe the best way to help a kid read is to privately listen to them in a corner with pillows somewhere where nobody else watches; churches, no matter what your religious preference/or none-- do fine works for homesless, shut-ins, cancer victims etc. finding the need in any particular area is just a phone call away -- or an email............ also, for those who may believe in such practices, there are prayer shawl ministries in tons of churches, protestant/catholic/jewish who believe in the power of hope thru an item that provides comfort. i worked with a cancer clinic for awhile and sewed CANCER HATS and TURBANS for them so that the ladies (gents, if they wanted) had something 'pretty' to place on their head during the time they lost their hair.................

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle4102 View Post
Just one more crafty idea to add....

I used to do a great deal of quilting and have a closet full of fabrics. Because of my back problems, it is too dificult to sit at my quilting frame and quilt. But, I CAN still sit at my sewing machine for short periods of time.

Last Christmas, I looked through my pattern box and found some doll clothes patterns. (you can also get free doll clothes patterns on the internet.) The quilting fabrics made really cute doll clothes. Any charity that collects toys for children will welcome doll clothes to include with the dolls they give out.
My fiancé told me she is going to teach me how to sew since I have time on my hands. She has 6 sewing machines her big machine can embroider it cost her $8,000 I would not touch it, if anything happend to it I would not wake up tomorrow . I told her I'm not a sewer hands to big and I have the patience of a ant. She has racks and racks of fabric,she is also a knitter, she use to teach knitting when lived illionis. She. Is having a hard time trying to find a good Babylloc, brother sewing store, here in Clearwater Florida area.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
(female)

crazy di HB Usercrazy di HB Usercrazy di HB User

omg its terrible. when you've worked since 15 and all of a sudden your diabled it tkes your spirit and slings it into depression. ihate it. you canonly clean your house,wash clothes ,let the dogs out, taalk on the phone and worst of all being in pain.i,ve wrked with the public all my life and now i,m a recluse. i can,t go to the gym or join groups that all tkes money. when you loose the second income its so hard. i would give anything to work again. i do have a jewelry business in my basement that i need to ge patented b 4 i can do anything with it. that costs money.i,ve been told i will b a millionaire if i get these on the market but i need help. i don't know about business, marketing,legalaties ect. if u lived by me i would ask you to join me. i really feel for you. i just hate it. if i could take it all back i would of never gone on disability it literally ruined my life. i'm sorry i just went on a rant. well i hope you can find serenity in your days. hoping u well and prayers to you love crazy di

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crazy di For This Useful Post:
Chitown2012 (05-21-2012), Michelle7088 (04-19-2012), needserenity (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann04 View Post
My fiancé told me she is going to teach me how to sew since I have time on my hands. She has 6 sewing machines her big machine can embroider it cost her $8,000 I would not touch it, if anything happend to it I would not wake up tomorrow . I told her I'm not a sewer hands to big and I have the patience of a ant. She has racks and racks of fabric,she is also a knitter, she use to teach knitting when lived illionis. She. Is having a hard time trying to find a good Babylloc, brother sewing store, here in Clearwater Florida area.
I don't know what Babylloc is, but you may have to take a ride to Gainsville or down to Tampa. If not there, then over to Jax.

Hugs

Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacki345 View Post
I don't know what Babylloc is, but you may have to take a ride to Gainsville or down to Tampa. If not there, then over to Jax.

Hugs
Baby lock is the brand of brother sewing machines you have to buy the only from a dealer. The brother sewing machines you see at the stores are not the same as the brother you see at the dealers or sewing stores. The ones my fiancé have are the ones that you see on that tv show project runway. Right now she is getting stuff from the store that she bought her machines in Illinois. she use to teach knitting there. WE found one in Tampa but they had nothing she needed.

The following user gives a hug of support to vann04:
Jacki345 (04-20-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to vann04 For This Useful Post:
Jacki345 (04-20-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #22
(female)

Michelle7088 HB User

I am having a difficult time. I mostly read on the internet and exercise, but I am so bored out of my mind. I'm on disability for depression, and I think I am becoming more depressed because I have nothing to do. I feel unproductive and lazy. My mind has become mush. I am thinking about trying to work again but then that just brings up more obstacles. I try to be positive but it seems like everything is overwhelming. Ugh!!!

I agree with crazy di. While I am very grateful to be on disability, sometimes I wish I would have never been on it. It can be a trap.

I found this board after being desperate to figure out what to do and hear from like-minded people. Thanks for providing an outlet.

The following user gives a hug of support to Michelle7088:
needserenity (04-19-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle7088 For This Useful Post:
Chitown2012 (05-21-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #23
(female)

needserenity HB User

Michelle- you're like reading my mind! Decades of depression, anxiety, mood swings with efforts to work a professional career was horrible; working triggered severe anxiety, depression. I tried for over a decade to stay employed but it was beyond chaotic. Now that I haven't the stressors of working while mental ill, I'm much more stable. It's sad, I don't have the same horrible depressive episodes, full blown mania anymore; just manageable depression and mixed episodes.
A part of me feels I could go back to work, but my therapist and pdoc remind me that my illness has triggers and stays episodic.
Although interacting with people, completing my work was severely difficult, I miss my efforts to be productive.
I too am bored and now dealing with depressive episode.
My son is leaving to CA. after he graduates and will be across country. He's the reason I had activities and responsibilities and soon I will have an empty nest. And too much time to dwell of the 'would have, could have, should haves' in my life if I wasn't mental ill.

Welcome to this forum, I'm a newbie too and am learning how to correctly use this site. Take care and I hope you get relieve soon from your depressive episode. Keep in touch if you want too, and perhaps ttyl.

The following user gives a hug of support to needserenity:
Michelle7088 (04-19-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to needserenity For This Useful Post:
Chitown2012 (05-21-2012), Michelle7088 (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #24
(female)

Michelle7088 HB User

Thank you so much for your response, NeedSerenity and for welcoming me.

I wish you all of the best dealing with the absence of your son. He will always need you.

I worked for many years as well. It was stressful and a constant worry/guilt trip working while having depression. I do have many hesitations about working again but at the same time I realize I need to do something. Just what? Haha.

The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle7088 For This Useful Post:
needserenity (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #25
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User

hi michelle ---- my heart goes with you as you search for an answer to help your boredom during all this....... i give you lots and lots of kudos about the fact that you ARE looking.... and you recognize that you need something.....with that attitude i just know you will find what you are looking for....so many neat people are writing ideas about all this -- and my hope is you see a 'michelle idea' that seems worthy of your attention......... good luck

Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #26
(female)

Nittany168 HB UserNittany168 HB UserNittany168 HB User

I wish I was well enough to take care of my two dogs, cook, work out, clean my house. If I was, I'd probably be well enough to work.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Nittany168
*erica* (05-05-2012), Whynowthis (05-09-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #27
(male)

waswell HB User

I fish and do some walking when I feel like it.Read and use the computer a lot.Also visit with friends when I can.Thank the Lord I can still do that..
Hang in There!!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #28
(male)

whynotme HB User

When I have a bad day, I spend it on the couch watching documentaries and such, when I have a good day I like to cook/bake with my girlfriend. I do spend a lot of time online in general. Since I've seperated I look after the kids after school until their bedtime which means I have to drag my butt off the couch, clean up and make supper even when I don't feel like it. I try to follow the 'keep on keeping on' train of thought. visiting with friends is a great way to spend the day.
Keep on keeping on

Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #29
(female)

Sandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB User

I like to knit dishcloths (out of cotton made for that purpose) and I like to crochet doilies. Haven't had time to do either since my husband's stroke Feb 29, but just this week, I started a dishcloth. I can only do about 4 rows at a time, and sometimes not that. Seems as soon as I find my place, hubby is trying to say something (speech center hit in stroke) and I need to get up and figure out what he wants and get it! when he had his stroke, I was half way thru a small heart latch hook rug (easy to do, direcitons included). I want to finish that and I'm not sure what it will turn into, too small for a rug. It could be anything, but knowing me, it will just be a finished waiting to turn into something piece. I have quilted and may actually do it again someday, when I have time again.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-22-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
(female)

Mossky HB UserMossky HB User

Sleeping & resting, mostly!

Reply Reply