It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #31
(female)

Dortopia HB User
Re: Without a job, how do you spend your days?

How do the quilts you make actually get to the veterans in your vicinity? I live in an area where there are many vets on street corners, and I'd like to help them in some way, while staying safe as a single woman. I can crochet and knit, but staying motivated to continue doing so requires the "cup half-full" thing. It's hard to keep giving from an empty cup, and I mean having no emotional support or friends. I can start a project with all the right intentions, but never finish because I get lonely and depressed (and moody).

Old 07-31-2012, 04:08 AM   #32
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User

hi dortopia -- how wonderful that you can crochet or knit when you can --- and i don't blame you one bit for realizing that driving into some areas where these dear vets need to be would be very unsafe for you. my quilts get delivered to an actual nursing home so far....but i'd love to do your idea for the homeless....and this is what i think i would do? I'd search the internet or phone book for a Homeless Shelter to tell them about what you have completed -- and ask them if someone would come get it for you -- or meet you at the 'safest' place a couple miles from where you live so you do not 'give away' where you live. if that didn't work i think in our are there are lots of VFW clubs -- and I'd try calling them and give them the same opportunity.......if those two ideas don't work i think i'd try some churches. i know we have several churches in our area who take their turn providing and serving food for the homeless in our area. they ?might? have someone who is willing to come get your offering -- or GO WITH YOU if you desire to see who gets your quilt......... good luck with your idea -- it sounds wonderful......... summer is ending soon and the nights will get cooler before we know it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 04:27 AM   #33
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User

hi dortopia -- i think it is wonderful you think about doing something for our homeless vets. it's such a good idea i'm considering the same for myself -- switching from my nursing home, where i can easily deliver them myself because it is safe to do so, to finding out the way to do it. i ?think? this is what i would do --- I would try to call some manager of a homeless shelter -- to see if anyone lives near me (would probably not want them to come to see where i live) to pick up my offering....... if that didn't work i think i would call some vfw or veteran's organization to ask the same question --- if those two ideas don't work i'd try the office number of some local churches. i know several churches in our area take turns providing and serving dinners for the homeless and on the dates they go do that i have a feeling they would love to take along give-aways.......... or, if your health is up to it, you could go along with the people driving you.. i hope your crochet/knit idea goes...... i know how iffy each day or each hour can be with chronic pain -- and so 'setting up without a date' a possibility for you might encourage you to finish something....... i wish you so well with your wonderful idea.....

Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #34
(female)

penneyn HB User

I have a computer -- that's how I spend my time. It's amazing how much you can do on them these days. I have Facebook and a gazillion friends from all around the world. When I was a teenager I was very big on pen pals. Facebook takes the place of writing. Well, you still have to write, but you get the picture.

I also make computer graphics and decorative alphabets, I do digital scrapbooking, I read, I watch movies and TV. There's SO much to do.

I know computers are not for everyone, but if you have one, you should check out some of the things you can find to do online these days.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #35
(female)

kye021 HB User

Mostly I lay down with my laptop propped on pillows and surf the net. I read quite a bit online and hardcover books when my concentration is good. For some reason it's more mentally draining for me to read actual books. Anyone else get that?

I also love baking. I'm learning to crotchet and knit but all of these things I can only do if I'm not in so much pain.

Music is definitely a life saver so I'm always listening to it.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #36
(male)

sometimessad HB User

I've been listening to a lot of books on CD. I also listen to reading radio out of Louisianna. I'm not blind but have a visual impairment as well as being disabled. Still, as you know, the days can be long. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #37
(female)

Terra835 HB User

I get online every day and I watch t.v/movies too and I also take my dog outside at night, During the day he's out back and I also walk with my boyfriend up and down my street 2 times twice a day but I try to do that 3 or 4 times but for far we've just been walk twice a day so I guess I'll have to build up to 3 or 4 times a day, but anyway I also listen to music at night before I go to sleep, I also clean my house once a week

Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #38
(female)

Terra835 HB User

I get online every day and I also watch t.v/movies and I take my dog out at night, He's out back during the day but anyway I also clean the house once a week and I listen to music at night before I go to sleep, My boyfriend and I also walk twice a day every day so I try to keep pretty busy

Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #39
(female)

AmyeE HB User

Hi,

I started quilting and sewing. I enjoy it, it really helps past the time. I was going a bit crazy myself and finding myself missing work very much. I have back pain that is crazy so I can only sew for very small periods of time, but none the less I still find peace of mind in my sewing room.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #40
(female)

lar17 HB User

Hi!

Needserenity, I agree with Xilch a hobby is one of the best things to help ease the time. I'm also unable to work, so the majority of my time is spent at home, and it's mind racking. I like to make jewelry, witch helps kill the time, like you said about looking for crafts to do in the children's department. That's a good start, that's how I started working with making jewelry. You can start with the smallest things, and as for myself I started working with jewelry. Only because the know how beading books to me make the project seem so much simpler. You have to find out what's best for you, because as for me watching tv, being on the computer, and reading all day long. Is not my idea of a good time, I hear a lot of people complaining about having to go out, and make money. Well I've been unable to work for almost 10yrs. and I would give anything to be in their shoes. At least then be able to be out there working around other people.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #41
(male)

DopeePeace HB User
Wink Re: Without a job, how do you spend your days?

I jog(Running will be great mentally and physically especially in rough times). sleep. internet, read real paper books, walk my neighbor's dogs for a little cash, then drink with friends at night or stay at home watching movies with friends or gaming.

Last edited by mod85; 07-18-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Reply Reply