It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

needserenity HB User
Question Without a job, how do you spend your days?

I'm curious b/c sometimes I don't know what to do with so much time on my hands.

How do you pass your time? TIA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Without a job, how do you spend your days?

Currently:
80% internet (mostly talk radio)
15% cable TV
5% reading

*Sad, I know. I am slowly trying to do more things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Currently:
80% internet (mostly talk radio)
15% cable TV
5% reading

*Sad, I know. I am slowly trying to do more things.
It's not sad!! Mine is about the same thing if you trade the tv and Internet ratios.... Unfortunately, there's not much I can do. That's why I had to stop working because I just CAN'T do much. A good portion of the day is spent reclining watching tv, or laying in bed (like now) with my iPod touch surfing the web.... Now I'm curious as to how others spend their days as well! I really wish I was well enough to do more!!!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NElady View Post
It's not sad!! Mine is about the same thing if you trade the tv and Internet ratios.... Unfortunately, there's not much I can do. That's why I had to stop working because I just CAN'T do much. A good portion of the day is spent reclining watching tv, or laying in bed (like now) with my iPod touch surfing the web.... Now I'm curious as to how others spend their days as well! I really wish I was well enough to do more!!!!!
I get up a 5am take dogs out feed dogs,have a cup of coffee just got a keurig dam good and fast. Then I check my email on my iPad. Help fiancé get off to work . Then me and the dogs hang out. Make breakfast for me take met out of freezer for dinner, go on the iMac surf the web, play with my iPod , watch tv. Than I start dinner around 4 I do ll the cooking. Then when my fiancé gets home we go to the fitness center every other day. I hav to keep busy I clean the apt. alo. Being retired is nice but hard because I had a routine fo 30 years .

Last edited by vann04; 04-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann04 View Post
I get up a 5am take dogs out feed dogs,have a cup of coffee just got a keurig dam good and fast. Then I check my email on my iPad. Help fiancé get off to work . Then me and the dogs hang out. Make breakfast for me take met out of freezer for dinner, go on the iMac surf the web, play with my iPod , watch tv. Than I start dinner around 4 I do ll the cooking. Then when my fiancé gets home we go to the fitness center every other day. I hav to keep busy I clean the apt. alo. Being retired is nice but hard because I had a routine fo 30 years .
That sounds great Vann.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User

Lately, I have spent a lot of time playing Facebook games....

Generally, I watch tv, read on the kindle (though I think I may have to switch to the computer, the larger sizes are getting harder to read... ), and annoy my teenage son as much as I can

I'm hoping to slowly start walking more, if my back will cooperate.

And I am actually looking into maybe getting training in another field that doesn't require your vision for every aspect of the job...

I agree, being home is boring. I still can't get over the fact that people think we actually prefer this to working hehe

Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User

I mostly surf the web and watch tv. With all this time in my hands, I thought I would be able to take some online classes, but my depression gets in the way of that. Brain fog is no joke. Being home all day is boring, but it beats going to a job you hate and cause stress over.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User

hi needserenity,
i may be suggesting something that may be of no interest or energy or ability, but have you thought of crafting or sewing or knitting or ???? i'm a retired gal with a love of QUILTING -- and the joy it provides for my days is immeasurable. i make small lap quilts -- and personalize them for veterans who live in my vicinity......... the gift of giving to others is as good as it gets. let me know if you'd like a 'tip' on how to get started on something that is available to you -- or lies within your abilities..... the sense of worth 'giving' provides is invaluable.....

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: xilch
Cody713 (04-20-2012), needserenity (04-19-2012), NElady (04-18-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to xilch For This Useful Post:
needserenity (04-19-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

What a wonderful way to spend your time!! I would love to do something like that, but I'm not crafty at all, and don't know how to knit or crochet or quilt or anything!!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-25-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:16 AM   #10
(female)

needserenity HB User
Smile Re: Without a job, how do you spend your days?

I've thought of doing some craft projects but don't know where to begin. I've gone to several craft stores when I'm not depressed or terribly anxious and actually looked at the children's craft section b/c the adult crafts seems a bit daunting. Perhaps knitting, rug making, scrapbooking would all interest me.
I have a sewing machine that I planned on using regularly but that sure takes some talent. I can hem pants but that is about it; hemming skirts, shortening too long shirts would be something I'd like to learn. I have how-to sewing books but haven't opened them yet.
I do need a hobby to keep my hands busy b/c I'm a smoker; your suggestions are wonderful. Helping others like you do is also wonderful.
I appreciate you taking the time to message me.
I'm now interested in going to the 2nd hand book store and check out their craft section; thanks to you.
Take care

Last edited by Administrator; 07-25-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:05 AM   #11
(female)

hi nelady -- if you are using the internet, you would find all sorts of tips and help on how to get started.....type into your favorite search engine the words FREE CRAFT IDEAS AND PATTERNS and see what comes up. many websites (which i cannot mention here, sorry) will even have beginners videos which are really cool and very well done..... i'd also recommend a simple, easy kit like a small latch rug kit which are fairly expensive (use that almighty 40% coupon or go to that almighty discount store)........there are also little cross-stitch kits that make a coaster or small plaque if that sounds okay......start small, like a BOOKMARK... there are free cross-stitch patterns for beginners all over the internet.....just type in FREE BEGINNER CROSS STITCH PATTERNS and you could spend the whole day looking at pretty designs.......... if these are of no interest, don't worry -- you'll see thousands of ideas when you surf typing in the FREE CRAFT words...........good luck..... write again, if you wish...

The following user gives a hug of support to xilch:
NElady (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #12
(female)

hi needserenity --- you would be amazed at the FREE SEWING PATTERNS that exist on the internet....... so many websites (cannot list them, sorry) which have items to sell give away beginner patterns and VIDEOS on how to do soooooooooooo many good things. there are sites just made for beginners....... if you know how to do a hem on items, you know how to do 99% of the sewing projects that are given away.... you could make yourself simple dresses, tops, learn how to knit with the 'how to' videos out there........... type in the words FREE BEGINNER SEWING (or whatever) PATTERNS and you could spend days exploring the thousands of ideas out there in InternetLand. i'd also recommend you keep your thoughts 'simple' for now -- buy a rug latch kit at your favorite craft store (use those 40% coupons if you can find one) or try a simple bookmark pattern..... type in FREE BEGINNER CROSS STITCH BOOKMARK PATTERNS and see what comes up......... i truly think that finding a diversion or hobby is so very good for us all....... just this week i taught a neighbor friend who has an estranged daughter a simple way to do her daughter's name on a bookmark with a simple flower on the bottom..... if doing that for a 'significant other' sounds good, type in FREE BEGINNER CROSS STITCH ALPHABET PATTERNS and whallah, you'll be inundated with good stuff......... write again when you wish... i check emails many times a day when i'm home........and i'm home today...

The Following User Says Thank You to xilch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

I do know how to crochet -- It would be a very slow process now however. I used to make afghans and in fact I LOVED making them. I'm no expert by any means so they would be good only for a gift. I've seen some nice quality afghans that would really put me to shame, plus I'm way out of practice.

If we are to donate them to vets, where would one look to donate.. the VA hosp or is there a better source? I am a crafty type of person, well, used to be. I'd love to give it a try. I might bore myself to death coz it will take me so long to finish a project. Making a (patch) quilt I know a little about.. but I don't have the space needed for all of that. (My grandmother taught me all that stuff.. glad it stuck)

TIA
Hugs

Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
(female)

hi jacki -
thanks for your interest in how to give away crafts/projects to vets... i'm unable to list here the exact websites (illegal on their rules)..... but if you were to type into your favorite search engine the following words, you would find TONS of places you could contact, depending upon where you live: QUILTING FOR VETERANS would get you bunches of websites to contact; QUILTING FOR WOUNDED WARRIORS would also get you sites -- and the quilting groups would readily accept afghans, shawls, etc. as well ---------- good luck with your search..... you could also type into a search engine NATIONAL VETERAN SUPPORT --- and whallah you will have more sites than you counted on...........smile.

Jacki345 (04-19-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xilch For This Useful Post:
Jacki345 (04-19-2012), needserenity (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Just one more crafty idea to add....

I used to do a great deal of quilting and have a closet full of fabrics. Because of my back problems, it is too dificult to sit at my quilting frame and quilt. But, I CAN still sit at my sewing machine for short periods of time.

Last Christmas, I looked through my pattern box and found some doll clothes patterns. (you can also get free doll clothes patterns on the internet.) The quilting fabrics made really cute doll clothes. Any charity that collects toys for children will welcome doll clothes to include with the dolls they give out.

The following user gives a hug of support to gayle428:
Jacki345 (04-19-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gayle428 For This Useful Post:
Jacki345 (04-19-2012), needserenity (04-19-2012)
Reply Reply